• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Break in/first service

Snowaddict

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX-LE
TWITTER
mstahl88
Finally got enough miles on for the first service. Being brand new first year model, am letting the dealer handle it. Would like to make sure everything that should get looked at is. Would like input as to what should be gone over. I already told them that I want the clutches checked, especially due to concerns of coil bind.

Sled specifics:
LTX-LE with 144 studs (1.325)
423 miles
A couple WOT runs yesterday: 108 and 104 (both speedo.) May have a couple more mph in it, but didn't want to hold it too long yet.
8800 Rpm (don't know how you can look at #s and see ahead at same time. Lol)
Clutches were on warmer side, but could keep my hand on it.
Some belt dust, but not sure what would be excessive
This is bone stock everything (3-3 wrap on secondary and 8JP original.)

So, is that top mph and rpm normal? Should I tell them to shim the secondary? I also just got thunder rollers and will have them install too.
Feedback is appreciated

Pics of clutch
20170129_104022.jpg

Last edited:

Don't look if its not safe. You have recall for Tach. Its very accurate and can indicate slipping when readout live doesn't. What you see is always a bit slower readout than actual.

Just had mine done at the dealer, I made sure that they used hi temp anti seize on the muffler bolts. Unfortunately I don't have the owners manual in front of me but another thing that comes to mind is making sure that they do not oil the air filter, it's designed to be used dry.

Didn't realize there was recall on the tach. Thanks. Gotta admit that I don't care much for the dash on this sled. Maybe it will grow on me. I should look at it further.
As for the air filter, that was one of the first things I checked when I got it because I heard others complain about the oil issue. Thanks for reminding me, though.

Didn't realize there was recall on the tach. Thanks. Gotta admit that I don't care much for the dash on this sled. Maybe it will grow on me. I should look at it further.
As for the air filter, that was one of the first things I checked when I got it because I heard others complain about the oil issue. Thanks for reminding me, though.
Yes whatever button is closest to tach reading push and hold the button and Max RPM shows. It is reset when you shut key off.

Finally got enough miles on for the first service. Being brand new first year model, am letting the dealer handle it. Would like to make sure everything that should get looked at is. Would like input as to what should be gone over. I already told them that I want the clutches checked, especially due to concerns of coil bind.

Sled specifics:
LTX-LE with 144 studs (1.325)
423 miles
A couple WOT runs yesterday: 108 and 104 (both speedo.) May have a couple more mph in it, but didn't want to hold it too long yet.
8800 Rpm (don't know how you can look at #s and see ahead at same time. Lol)
Clutches were on warmer side, but could keep my hand on it.
Some belt dust, but not sure what would be excessive
This is bone stock everything (3-3 wrap on secondary and 8JP original.)

So, is that top mph and rpm normal? Should I tell them to shim the secondary? I also just got thunder rollers and will have them install too.
Feedback is appreciated

Pics of clutch
View attachment 126102
Well looks like you hit full shift for top end,but you must not of held it wo for more than 5 or 6 seconds if all you were able to hit was 104 and 108 unless conditions were awful,that is near perfect rpms also,if you mean shim the helix,on the three posts,you wont get any dealer doing that,sense its not recommended.Now if you mean shim behind secondary clutch on jackshaft,well if it needs one than yes they will do that.

Well looks like you hit full shift for top end,but you must not of held it wo for more than 5 or 6 seconds if all you were able to hit was 104 and 108 unless conditions were awful,that is near perfect rpms also,if you mean shim the helix,on the three posts,you wont get any dealer doing that,sense its not recommended.Now if you mean shim behind secondary clutch on jackshaft,well if it needs one than yes they will do that.
Thanks for the feedback Pete. Hopefully you're on the mend and getting things back together. I meant do whatever shimming would be needed for possible coil bind. I would've guessed that I held it for a little longer than that, but maybe not. So, damn worried about blowing a belt. Was doing the wot on a straight stretch through potato fields. Trails had a small layer of snow on an icy base. Some stutters. Glad to hear the clutch looks appropriate.

Back