• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Break in question

Run it HARD!!! You have to stretch out the rings so that they seal better and give you better compression. Some people say that you are supposed to take it easy the first couple hundred miles but I don't agree at all. I have broken in all my sleds, atv's and dirt bikes in hard and they have all been nothing but trouble free for me. RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!! :yam:

I guess the engine designers know nothing about motors as they tell you in the manual how it is recommended. I hear guys all the time say it'll run like you break it in ! When it's my $11,000 grand I think I will follow the book thank you!

Dont waste your time trying to break it in before you get to ride it...

Engines brake in the best when under a load.. and it wont make much difference to run it on a stand..

Just drive it normal... not too hard at first... but once a few miles on it give her hell.. Just dont pin it for a long period of time..

Don't get me wrong Ole Timer I am not saying go out to the first long stretch you see and hold the thing wide open for a long time, I am just saying don't baby the thing, they are made for performance and the engineers know people are'nt going to go out and ride their new 11,000 dollar snowmobile like a little kid for the first 500 miles until broken in or whatever, they know everybody is going to want to hammer the throttle and so they build these PERFORMANCE sleds to do just that. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Pitt4212 said:
Don't get me wrong Ole Timer I am not saying go out to the first long stretch you see and hold the thing wide open for a long time, I am just saying don't baby the thing, they are made for performance and the engineers know people are'nt going to go out and ride their new 11,000 dollar snowmobile like a little kid for the first 500 miles until broken in or whatever, they know everybody is going to want to hammer the throttle and so they build these PERFORMANCE sleds to do just that. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

I guess I must have misunderstood your comment about STRECHIN the rings and riden her hard !

Hard enough to seat the rings , once the cylinders get glazed from riding too easy (or idling in the garage ) It'll be more likely to have less power and use more oil . Do your first oil change before 200 miles (very important ). ;)!

Old timer....Sounds like you need to do a little reading about performace 4-strokes and I dont mean off Yamaha's website. Pitt4212 is exactly right but he just didnt word it that well. If you actually think about it..... ring Tension does NOT seal the cylinder. You only have a few lbs of pressure on the cylinder wall from the ring itself. ALL the sealing pressure comes from the combustion gases. A small amount leaks in behind the ring and Forces the ring tight against the cylinder. If you look at a ring under a microscope you will see it looks like a hacksaw blade. The best break in is done in the first 20 miles under heavy accelleration when cylinder pressure is the highest. If you drive it like an "Ole timer" and just taker easy for a 100 miles those "hacksaw teeth" never wear off, they just get dull so your cylinder and piston never will seal no matter what you do.

There is NO power gain to be had from any break in process but you CAN loose hp from a poor break in.

So, do what ever makes you happy. PS, if you paid 11,000 for your new sled you got bent over!!! ===SRXSRULE===

I know my 03-RX-1 was grass dragged right out of the crate. I got a great deal on it with 200 miles. I used about 1/2 quart of CW oil every 1,000 miles (not too bad), When I switched to the synthetic oil my oil consumption doubled. I dont know if it had anything to do with break in. But a yamaha mechanic said it did

APEX ER on order :Rockon: :yam: :4STroke:

If I was you I would break it in the way Yamaha tells you to. I know several people that have RX1s or Warriors they alllbroke there sleds in the way yamaha said to they do not use any oil. Then I have met a nd talked to guys that did not follow the breakin and they are burning oil.
Do what you want but when I get my RTX I am breaking it in by the book it is really only the first 300 you need to take it easy. I can do that in one day if I take a ride to Maine.

I've had several motorcycles over the years and the break in on them all was similar. Vary the rpm's and keep it under a peak rpm they tell you in the break in instructions. I'm with Ole timer, there's people far smarter then myself who have designed this pretty awesome motor so I will take their break in advice.

I took about a 25 mile cruise between 30-60 mph or 1/4 to 3/4 throttle and called it good. I have read the articles that say drive it like you stole it.....I just can't do it.

Back