• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain case upper gear bushing!

I know that the sidewinder gear and bushing now come with oiling holes. Does anyone know if the Viper ones also have been updated or do you have to drill your own holes?

I know that the sidewinder gear and bushing now come with oiling holes. Does anyone know if the Viper ones also have been updated or do you have to drill your own holes?
My upper gear on my 19 had oil holes and my bushing still wore badly after 3000km

I dont buy the Tension theory. Tested it myself at every tension from 1/4turn back in 2013 for about 100ft to 1 1/2 for two seasons and lately 1 turn out. Bushing lasts me about 3000mi and then its wore measurably. So every season I replace bushing. No issues since its kept on top of.
What bushing are you using

My upper gear on my 19 had oil holes and my bushing still wore badly after 3000km
The holes aren't really going to make a difference. This is not an oiling problem. It is a misapplication problem. The teflon coating on the stock bushing can't hold up to the shock load. The wear isn't from rotational forces because the bushing ONLY spins on the shaft when in reverse.

Isn’t the only time the shaft turns on this bushing is in reverse. So if you go less in reverse wouldn’t the bushing last longer.
No, It is the load while going forward that wears the bushing out. The bushing is too small for the load applied to it.
In addition, the material of the bushing is part of the problem. Too soft.

So can you buy or make a tougher bushing.

Isn’t the only time the shaft turns on this bushing is in reverse. So if you go less in reverse wouldn’t the bushing last longer.
Yes only time it turns is in reverse but the bushing is always supporting the gear which is driven by a chain which is never perfectly smooth on gear and the shafts are probably not perfectly Parallel. Whatever the cause it happens and just need to maintain it.

Back