• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Check out these new skis

Hmmm...lets think about this for a second. The reality is the dual carbide concept worked well with exception of one drawback. That one drawback is that they pushed in soft conditions due to the build up of snow in between the carbides. With these skis thats impossible because there is an open space between the dual carbides to prevent this build up from occuring. So basically we are looking at the anti-darting benefit of dual carbides minus the drawback of pushing in soft conditions. In theory that makes the perfect ski!

Of course, this is in trail applications only. The obvious drawback to these is deep snow performance. I wonder if widening them on the outside, or shrinking the gap on the inside without eliminating it would help the flotation?

I was only able to try these skis on trails and some field areas...snow conditions were loose to granualar and these skis bit hard..little to no push in teh corners ( with 6" Shapers ). Like I said, they were also tested in the mountains last season ( Revelstoke ) and flotation was supposed to be excellent with no snow shooting up between the rails.

IMO the drawback is having your spindle cut...once you buy them you are committed...if you decide they are not for you, you have to sell them with the spindle and get yourself new ones.

These skis have the test pilot in me thinking, I think I will cut the middle out of the rear or a set of arrows and see if there is any benifit?

BETHEVIPER said:
These skis have the test pilot in me thinking, I think I will cut the middle out of the rear or a set of arrows and see if there is any benifit?

Good idea. ;)! Keep us informed

"they were also tested in the mountains last season ( Revelstoke ) and flotation was supposed to be excellent "

can't see how this is possible...

I wonder why all the major manufacturers such as Yamaha, Polaris, Ski Doo and Arctic Cat haven't cornered the market on the "less ski surface area= better flotation idea" years ago

Ironmanstl said:
"they were also tested in the mountains last season ( Revelstoke ) and flotation was supposed to be excellent "

can't see how this is possible...

I wonder why all the major manufacturers such as Yamaha, Polaris, Ski Doo and Arctic Cat haven't cornered the market on the "less ski surface area= better flotation idea" years ago

yea that doesnt seem like its possible. Smaller surface area equals less flotation, not really any engineering you can do to change that.

Also full skis have worked for what 40 years.. no reason to change.

I am sure floatation is increased over a solid ski of the same surface area. Same effect of snow shoes having holes all through them. the preasure from the skis two side creates a cone of compressed snow under each. The cones intersect and become one.

I know by looking at them it doesn't seem possible, when I first looked at them I thought the same thing..but after having been on 3 different sleds with them, riding them in various conditions I can say these skis work well...all of the things you think might happen didn't, little to no push, no darting, no snow flying up between the rails and floation seemed to be the same as any other ski..I can honestly say I was very impressed and if it weren't for the fact you need to cut your spindles or they were going to be priced reasonably I'd buy a pair.

Shaddow44, did anybody try the ski in reverse? I know an average snowmobiler spends little time in reverse, but just wondering? Thanx

I never did but the owners son reversed the sleds in the driveway, nothing of any distance but seemed to have no issues.

A ski that doesn't dart, bites hard in the corners without pushing and has some bling factor...whats so hard to get?

shaddow44 said:
A ski that doesn't dart, bites hard in the corners without pushing and has some bling factor...whats so hard to get?

theres a ton of after market skis that provide this at probably 1/4 the cost of these. Thats whats so hard to get.

shaddow44 said:

Sounds to me like you may be on the payroll...LOL, I have yet to see a ski that works that well. None of them do what they claim.

Back