• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch maintenance how-to

Ruckus

TY 4 Stroke Master
I'd just like to throw out this link to Cannondale's post on cleaning your clutch. http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... ight=ulmer

I did this the other day and I cannot believe what a difference it made to the machine. I was at 7500km and by the look of it it had never been cleaned. All I can say is WOW. Definitely an easy way to gain some HP at the track. DON'T FORGET TO WIND THE SHEAVE 45 DEGREES counterclockwize before assembling it. I'm pulling at 11,350 rpms, just about perfect.

Shiny, shiny. Seems like a lot of Phazers have grease in the secondary. Clean all that sh!t out and polish everything.

While i'm under the hood tonight I'm going to check the clutch out!! Good post Ruckus.

i did this 2 weeks ago and yes, was it covered in crud....running like a champ and easy 2 do too..

I'm cleaning mine up now and just want to double check that there is no need to have grease between those two brass bushings? There was a lot of hard grease packed in mine there. Little uneasy about putting it back dry. What about putting grease on the shaft where it meshes with the secondary - the grooved part (sorry not sure about the terminology maybe splines).

And how would you know that the buttons need replacing?
thanks

I cleaned mine out and it was like I gained 10hp.

It was very dirty everywhere, even had to polish my primary cause it was getting so much crap on it from the secondary.

You guys get a lite film of grease in that secondary anyway. And the inside 'in' the helix. Nothing big at all, or it'll just make a mess. The jackshaft should also get some grease, or anti-seize.
Just my opinion, but i have done litterally hundreds of clutches, and this works for me and my customers.

Place it on the floor, spin it until you line up the key-way(little dab of grease will keep it from falling out) You should have the spring set securely in the bottom, and just so it catches on the helix is about all you'll get out of it, then while holding the helix with your right hand, pull/turn/rotate your top sheave left with your left hand, counter clockwise about a quarter, or half a turn. Nothing specific, you're just getting it past the fingers of the helix so it ends up on the ramp side. (so the buttons slide on the ramps of the helix) place your washer,s on, have your snap ring pliers set with the snap ring in it, have the neighbor kid put the snap ring on, or hold down with your knee on the helix, grabbing/holding the sheaves tight with your left hand, and put on your snap ring so it's in the 'land' properly. Make sure it's in there good!
This is much easier to do then explain, lol, sorry if i just confused you, just trying to picture doing it in my mind.
Mike.

By the sounds of it everyone thinks its really easy to do. Maybe I just have to take the plunge and try it/will make sense once i have the clutch apart?

spike337 said:
This is much easier to do then explain, lol, sorry if i just confused you, just trying to picture doing it in my mind.
Mike.

agree that it is much easier than it sounds. I did it the first time this winter. Managed it by my self. One thing that helped we knowing the tension angle, for my setting it was 75 degrees, (I think) that gives you perspective on what you are trying to achieve. As Spike says, don't need to be exact. I think it took me 2 or 3 tries and probably as many beers.

spike I'm sure your explination was spot on beceause i can tell from the many times you helped my #*$&@ on this site you know your #*$&@ but a video would really help us rookies and would be a great sticky add on so anyone who has this knowledge would be greatly appreciated. ;)!

kodak said:
spike I'm sure your explination was spot on beceause i can tell from the many times you helped my #*$&@ on this site you know your poop but a video would really help us rookies and would be a great sticky add on so anyone who has this knowledge would be greatly appreciated. ;)!

X2

once all the trails close within trailering distance if no one else has done it yet I will give it a try and take pics step by step.

Back