• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch side venting

Adding a cold air intake is not going to cool the clutchs down any, if anything it will make it worse and rob air coming thru the vent meant for the clutchs and get used to feed the engine. Just something to keep in mind.

I'd add venting and frogskins in front of the clutch to cool it and make up for the cold air intake stealing the air meant for the clutch cooling.

Then that's what you are doing wrong, you keep running it without finding the real issue causing the problem. If you dig deep enough you will find the problem or multiple problems. Check alignment and engine lead first, pull drive and driven apart to check for binding or loose bushings rollers and inspect every inch of them. If you are not able to do so, then get it to a real tuner who knows what to look for. You have something way out of whack or multiple issues if you have gone thru that many belts.

I've flogged mine beyond hard in deep wet heavy snow which will generally kill a belt on a turbo machine in no time and the clutches and belt held up great with what I would call no heat at all. This is with the vents all plugged with heavy snow too!

Vents will not be of much help to your machine until you get things in alignment and clutch's working properly. Is there a chance you've twisted the front end and twisted the bulkhead knocking engine out of alignment at all?
No. Been blowing belts since my first trip.

I'm after the dealer to replace both clutches. If not then I'll Be going beyond alignment check, which is right on.

looks slick. did you have any belt issues this year?
Yes only whit 100%stock setup... 2 catch at time, and 1 in thousands pieces in less than 2000km. I hear that the clutch bottom panels was B.O at Yamaha....
.:ban::yam: So i added protection whit the dealers help, better be safe than sorry. He is more AC oriented so he is used to it! My buddy's in the garage were laughing at me. I don't know why!!!! ;-). After changing couple things on the clutch set up, i did around 3000km on the same ultimax XS belt and it still look in total shape.
IMG_4667.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_2842.JPG
IMG_2844.JPG

This is what I came up with. No problems yet but better safe then sorry.

Could I get an update on what people are using for venting and any comments associated? Just looked at a bunch of cats & Yamahas at my dealer and the other sleds all have way more clutch venting than the winder.

Could I get an update on what people are using for venting and any comments associated? Just looked at a bunch of cats & Yamahas at my dealer and the other sleds all have way more clutch venting than the winder.
If you install a well designed CAI, you will have Massive airflow to clutch bay.

If you install a well designed CAI, you will have Massive airflow to clutch bay.
And how much less than massive airflow will there be with a non-well designed CAI? How do these amounts of airflow compare to stock non CAI?

And how much less than massive airflow will there be with a non-well designed CAI? How do these amounts of airflow compare to stock non CAI?
IMO the airflow from front screen(left side)with stock airbox is reduced substantially as that airbox is squeezed in between side panel reducing flow into the clutch compartment.

When removed, the air now flows nicely into clutch compartment thru belt guard and out left foot vent. With a good design CAI, the flow can even be better. All this stuff is always easy to find in my build thread.

I did a lot of late spring riding last year and never had an issue with overheating or hot clutches
Stock sled

https://www.speedwerxstore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3652
Not the cheapest, but getting the air where it needs to go. I'm thinking that adding this, and with the vent higher up, should move some cooler air through the clutch area. I've used the Starting Line vents also in the past with good luck, but always worried about ripping the fabric leaving an open hole. I figured I could always add the frogskin material to the speedwerx vent if snow was getting into the clutch bay. I also like that they have multiple colors to color match panel....more ocd than anything...lol

Not the cheapest, but getting the air where it needs to go. I'm thinking that adding this, and with the vent higher up, should move some cooler air through the clutch area. I've used the Starting Line vents also in the past with good luck, but always worried about ripping the fabric leaving an open hole. I figured I could always add the frogskin material to the speedwerx vent if snow was getting into the clutch bay. I also like that they have multiple colors to color match panel....more ocd than anything...lol

I like it. What do you mean by "vent higher up"?

You can use oem sr-viper vents also

Back