• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CLUTCHING ANSWER!!!!

stingray719

TY 4 Stroke God
Tested today, 2014 Viper with 153 Powerclaw. Several runs on hard packed snow road and runs EVEN UP with 2014 M8 153 to 40 mph. WOW, pulls strong and even feels like an RX1 on smooth road (power wise). Also put in 8FS weights as advised by Matt from MPI, but need a little lighter as it tops at 7900 RPM.

The Viper belt I took off that only had 50 miles on it was concaved on the sides. Seemed to me the only way that could happen is for the belt being crushed. Compared the Viper belt to the 8DN and the 8DN was noticeably thicker from top to bottom on the part that contacts the sheaves.

Just do this, it works.

1. take off secondary, add washers to 3 small bolts on back of secondary until 8DN rides just above the edge

2. put on 8DN

3.HAVE FUN

Ya pretty much what happened to me! That's why I posted it so you guys could try this belt as it worked way better for me. I'm glad it's working for you guys! Glad my ripped to shreds belts could help everyone...lol. It's all good just cool that other people are trying what I had done to mine and it works. I guess I could say that I was the first to try this....lol...who knew? Oh well my dealer did it for me anyway. Hopefully they won't run out of 8DN belts ;)!

YamahaTim said:
Ya pretty much what happened to me! That's why I posted it so you guys could try this belt as it worked way better for me. I'm glad it's working for you guys! Glad my ripped to shreds belts could help everyone...lol. It's all good just cool that other people are trying what I had done to mine and it works. I guess I could say that I was the first to try this....lol...who knew? Oh well my dealer did it for me anyway. Hopefully they won't run out of 8DN belts ;)!

Yes you gave me the idea to try it. Thanks!

Try some 8FS weights just for grins, slower upshifts with more clamping force I believe.

stingray719 said:
YamahaTim said:

Try some 8FS weights just for grins, slower upshifts with more clamping force I believe.

Bill, the best thing to get you RPM up is to add a turbo!! Your sled has 15.6 mm rollers in it stock. You might need to try running 16.5 mm rollers if you keep it N/A. What primary spring did you run? What was the secondary set-up like?

matt@mpi said:
stingray719 said:
YamahaTim said:

Bill, the best thing to get you RPM up is to add a turbo!! Your sled has 15.6 mm rollers in it stock. You might need to try running 16.5 mm rollers if you keep it N/A. What primary spring did you run? What was the secondary set-up like?

All stock except 8FS weights (as you suggested) and 8DN belt MADE IT A NEW MACHINE....wow so much more power than it ever had even though its long tracked now. Thanks Tim and Matt!

No worries :Rockon:

Glad it works! ;)!

I just need to get Matt to send me some weights so I can run 8800 rpm! :jump:

Oh I guess I need it back from the dealer...AGAIN! :o|

I'll get it back Monday. And get her up and running! ;)!

matt@mpi said:
stingray719 said:
YamahaTim said:

Dammit Matt, now you have me thinking! If this homemade mountain Viper will run even up with a 2014 M8 to 40mph.....what will it do with turbo? :sled1:

A turbo would light him up! No worries with that! But then you will have to clutch it again...lol... Trust me it's worth it! It's so fun to feel that pull! My clutching is real close but not perfect and mine pulls so hard! You would love it.

You would have to give the Cat a head start! :Rockon:

You may or may not have to run washers. My 8dn went right on with proper deflection. Belt made a huge difference in throttle response. It also holds rpm better. I am running the 8bu weights and they seem to work well. I also have 14.5 mm rollers, gwg primary spring, white secondary spring and 37* helix. I may try the 8fs weights. I also want to try a different primary spring with lower engagement.

So far happier with the 8dn switch. Wish I would have used it when out west. I think it would have helped a lot.

loudelectronics said:
You may or may not have to run washers. My 8dn went right on with proper deflection. Belt made a huge difference in throttle response. It also holds rpm better. I am running the 8bu weights and they seem to work well. I also have 14.5 mm rollers, gwg primary spring, white secondary spring and 37* helix. I may try the 8fs weights. I also want to try a different primary spring with lower engagement.

So far happier with the 8dn switch. Wish I would have used it when out west. I think it would have helped a lot.
I'm running blue silver blue primary and white white secondary. And a 47 helix.

Where are you guys noticing the biggest gain from the 8dn belt? I would be interested in giving this a try but I don't have any clutching issues so not sure if it's worth a try or not. I'm seeing proper rpm and full clutch shift and also seeing speeds of 100+mph so just not sure if it's worth trying. I'll have to search around for a used belt from older sleds and if I have one I'll try it. Just not sure if it's worth buy a $100 belt if I'm not having any issues but at the same time if it's making the sled pull harder it's certainly worth it

For me my rpm is holding and when you give it gas you feel better response. My top end or track speed has increased.

With stock belt rpm was all over the place, poor throttle response and smelled buying belts at low rpm all the time.

sk-rx1 said:
My dealer cannot get the 8DN belt from Yamaha, none available?? He is not happy about it.

Not sure why not, 8DN fits most Yamahas from 1998 up right? Ebay is rife with them.

Back