• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching help, I think

w8nfsnow said:
Daranello........what gearing are you running?

Stock, mods listed below....Last year bone stock I hit 112 GPS and I was FAT :exc: this year after all the mods I didnt gain a single MPH....so I'm still working on it...I WANT and need to get by my buddys apex and in Stock form I was exacly 3.8mph slower

SledFreak said:
Daranello said:
SledFreak said:
Daranello said:
Ok here the deal I had a strong running stock XTX usually 4mph behind my buddies strong running apex...best I've seen is 112mph GPS....@9060rpm

Anyways I wanted to beat my buddys apex (5mph goal)

so first I lost 55lbs off my belly :exc:

So I added the Excell header and wow my RPM went thru the roof 9200-9300rpm...so its making power....

Next I added plugs, K&N and Ulmer clutch kit and it turned into a dog 8600-8800rpm on top and STILL 4 mph off my buddys apex....considering all the mods and my 50+lbs weight lost...

someone tell me what went wrong? but better yet how to fix it.

Secondarys at 60 moved it to 70 and its top end stayed the same ;):D

OK, you need to get it back to 9000RPM. Remove the tipweight and the middle weight put the the secondary back to 60 degrees and then tell me what RPM you have... It should come in at 8400-8600RPM and pull up to 9000-92000. When I went from 60-70degrees, I lost 3mph... You are definetely not in the right RPM range...

I ran 114 down a road pushing 3" of powder, so I'm sure you can find the speed you had last year or more, but you need to find what your sled likes....

SF, Ill give that a try did you try the stock clutching? Whos kit are u running and did u change your helix??

Allen's. You should PM him and he will tell you are at and he will tell you where you need to be....

But, I gained 3mph goiing from 8400RPM-8600RPM where it it would only run up to 8800. I removed the tip weight and it pulled right up to 9000 and I gained 3 mph...

I PM Allen to comment on the tread....lets get this baby flying!!! my goal is to see 120MPH speedo (116 MPH GPS) :Rockon:

Daranello said:
w8nfsnow said:

Stock, mods listed below....Last year bone stock I hit 112 GPS and I was FAT :exc: this year after all the mods I didnt gain a single MPH....so I'm still working on it...I WANT and need to get by my buddys apex and in Stock form I was exacly 3.8mph slower
Seeing same speed as you are seeing with stock clutching and gearing (111 GPS) with short windshield. IMO whe are out of gear. 22/40 is good for an x-tra 4mph and i really think it will get there ;)!

Daranello said:
w8nfsnow said:

I would start with gearing your sled to run a target speed of say 120mph then play with the clutching in that order. At 112mph on GPS you are right out of gear with 21/39 so it won't won't matter how much power you add it won't go any faster. How could it go any faster if it was shifted right out last year?

I wonder how many guys who bought a 121, would have still bought one if they knew the XTX was gonna be about 10+ MPH faster on top end? I figured they were the same performance, and b/c I'm always on groomed *cough* trails and never really in the deep stuff, the shorty was for me.

sd5500 said:
I wonder how many guys who bought a 121, would have still bought one if they knew the XTX was gonna be about 10+ MPH faster on top end? I figured they were the same performance, and b/c I'm always on groomed *cough* trails and never really in the deep stuff, the shorty wa
s for me.

My stock shorty will walk all over an xtx in a 800-1000 foot run seeing 103mph, are the xtx's really seeing 110-115 mph?? Stock ?

mytro said:
sd5500 said:
I wonder how many guys who bought a 121, would have still bought one if they knew the XTX was gonna be about 10+ MPH faster on top end? I figured they were the same performance, and b/c I'm always on groomed *cough* trails and never really in the deep stuff, the shorty wa
s for me.

My stock shorty will walk all over an xtx in a 800-1000 foot run seeing 103mph, are the xtx's really seeing 110-115 mph?? Stock ?

Oui for our french friends, Yes for everyone else

From last year when I was Stock

here are my Top Speed Runs 114mph/183km @ 9030 RPMs(110MPH GPS) Generaly 4-5mph behind a fast Apex GT
Sorry for the shaky film I was holding the camera with my left hand, weather was a warm +6c ,43F , Stock 2009 Yamaha FX Nytro XTX 144" Track with 114 Studs, Bergstom Triple Points, with a 265lbs rider abord, conditions were sloppy almost like a slusy....quarter tank with 87 Octain

FIRST RUN IN MPH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWBGkB_mCa8

SECOND RUN IN KM/H: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJMwib1XzCw

SCREEN SHOTS

Sta2.jpg

ICE.jpg

Start.jpg

ICE2.jpg

114mph.jpg

182k.jpg

Stud.jpg

;)! :flag:

Your looking for something thats unabtainable without nos or boost. Every aftermarket helix is machined to shift out further. You may see 1 mph on a perfect day with perfect conditions. Keep throwing money at your sled to go slower. I warned ya last year.

Daranello said:
mytro said:
sd5500 said:
s for me.

Oui for our french friends, Yes for everyone else

From last year when I was Stock

here are my Top Speed Runs 114mph/183km @ 9030 RPMs(110MPH GPS) Generaly 4-5mph behind a fast Apex GT
Sorry for the shaky film I was holding the camera with my left hand, weather was a warm +6c ,43F , Stock 2009 Yamaha FX Nytro XTX 144" Track with 114 Studs, Bergstom Triple Points, with a 265lbs rider abord, conditions were sloppy almost like a slusy....quarter tank with 87 Octain

FIRST RUN IN MPH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWBGkB_mCa8

SECOND RUN IN KM/H: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJMwib1XzCw

SCREEN SHOTS

Sta2.jpg

ICE.jpg

Start.jpg

ICE2.jpg

114mph.jpg

182k.jpg

Stud.jpg

;)! :flag:

I see you have an Ulmer clutch kit, how exactly did it change your stock machine? Glad to see those speeds for you guys, I know a guy who seems to have a slow XTX and it's driving him nuts..

Turk said:
Your looking for something thats unabtainable without nos or boost. Every aftermarket helix is machined to shift out further. You may see 1 mph on a perfect day with perfect conditions. Keep throwing money at your sled to go slower. I warned ya last year.

So go back to stock clutching and keep the headers K&N and plug in??? Thats go to give me something..????

Daranello said:
really....has anyone played with gearing on this sled???

Most people including Allen says the gearing on the XYX is good, it's only the 121" where a gear change does work...

Back