• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cobra 1.352, 144in, I am told it is quieter then Ripsaw?

Yamadudemn

Country
USA
Snowmobile
11 Yamaha Venutre
I have a 2011 Venture GT that has a brutal track howl, so much that even with ear plugs my ears are ringing after a long trip. I have the track tension loose and the sled only has 600 miles on it. I spoke to someone at tracks USA and they are saying the Cobra 1.352 track has a much softer lug then the stock ripsaw and will reduce the track noise because of that. I guess the ripsaw has very stiff lugs in comparison.

Anyone running this track that can comment on it? I know its not cheap to swap, but they will take mine on trade or I will sell on CL to help offset, but man I really love the sled, just can't handle the noise on long trips.

Interesting to hear replies on this as I'd make the investment as well on my 2014 LTX. Back in 2008, Tracks USA did tell me that the Arctic Cat Quiet Track (Ripsaw) would be substantially quieter on my 2005 Vector. It's not.......

I asked them about the Quiet track when I first called and he said it is not recommended as it can cause vibration on hard pack. I pressed him on whether it actually makes a noticeable difference and he stated that other customers have reported the problem going from unacceptable to manageable and or only slightly annoying. Hard to go off that, but I am a little desperate at this point. Or just sell the thing and find something else that doesn't do it as much. I see they have a new Viper with the optional two up seat, I wonder how track noise is on those.

I wonder if its possible to stagger the idler wheels on this machine, I wonder if that would change the harmonics and maybe not be so piercing? Anyone know if they can be mounted in different spots on the rail?

I wonder if its possible to stagger the idler wheels on this machine, I wonder if that would change the harmonics and maybe not be so piercing? Anyone know if they can be mounted in different spots on the rail?

I was just about to suggest that, as that is what Polaris does on their sleds. I think the mounts could be moved.

I am going to take a look at it later today and see.

Does anyone run a fully clipped track? I don't think mine is, I believe its every other, which could be adding to the noise as there is a dip in the track between clips.

Both my sleds are fully clipped. Didn't make any difference on the Quiet Track equipped sled.

Nice that Tracks USA now says they DON'T cut down the noise. Thanks Tracks USA.....I'll remember this!

To be fair he didn't say it wouldn't quiet it down, he said some complained of vibration on hard pack. He suggested the cobra as the best option available to reduce noise and not possibly add vibration .

I don't think the Quiet Track added vibration but that's just my opinion.

I just installed a 1.5 AC Quiet track single ply on my 05 Venture. Not the results I was looking for, but moderately quieter than the stock ripsaw. Getting a little vibration at all speeds. Noisiest at the 45-55 mph range. Overall, not as quiet as my original ripsaw that I modified using studs and washers to mimic the AC ramps between the lugs. Just put in 2 rows of flat topped studs in line with the inner wheels, with 1' washers under them to raise them approx. 1mm inside the track. This supports the wheels between the lugs. That worked great for 15,000 miles and I'd do it again, knowing what I know now. I've had no luck finding earplugs that cut out low frequency drone.

I've had no luck finding earplugs that cut out low frequency drone.

IMO - you're "hearing" the drone through your jawbone and bones surrounding your ear. Nothing works.....I've tried myself. My new 14 does the same effing thing!

I just installed a 1.5 AC Quiet track single ply on my 05 Venture. Not the results I was looking for, but moderately quieter than the stock ripsaw. Getting a little vibration at all speeds. Noisiest at the 45-55 mph range. Overall, not as quiet as my original ripsaw that I modified using studs and washers to mimic the AC ramps between the lugs. Just put in 2 rows of flat topped studs in line with the inner wheels, with 1' washers under them to raise them approx. 1mm inside the track. This supports the wheels between the lugs. That worked great for 15,000 miles and I'd do it again, knowing what I know now. I've had no luck finding earplugs that cut out low frequency drone.

I really might try this, I would make them shorter than the lug, to avoid the need for tunnel protectors and I ride trails that prohibit studs. Do you have any pictures of that?

The other option is the cobra, after track trade in it would be $300 and then install unless I attempt it.

It's the high pitch that kills me, my ears ring all night after riding and my wife tells me to stop talking so loud.....going deaf from this thing.

Yeah, I hear ya on the ear ringing. My ears are pretty messed up from years of abuse, which unfortunately makes them even more sensitive to noise. I'm not sure what the wheel configuration is on your sled, but if most of the wheels are inside the rails(like mine), then a couple rows of studs should work well. I used woody's signature flat topped w/ a thin 1" washer under. Otherwise, you might want to try elevator bolts w/ a washer. They have a flat top like a stud but are much cheaper. I'll try to get some pics on tomorrow.

Some other things that help w/ the howl are the larger Polaris wheels(5.35"), new slides(takes pressure off the wheels), and softening the front skid shock.

Yeah, I hear ya on the ear ringing. My ears are pretty messed up from years of abuse, which unfortunately makes them even more sensitive to noise. I'm not sure what the wheel configuration is on your sled, but if most of the wheels are inside the rails(like mine), then a couple rows of studs should work well. I used woody's signature flat topped w/ a thin 1" washer under. Otherwise, you might want to try elevator bolts w/ a washer. They have a flat top like a stud but are much cheaper. I'll try to get some pics on tomorrow.

Some other things that help w/ the howl are the larger Polaris wheels(5.35"), new slides(takes pressure off the wheels), and softening the front skid shock.

My 05 Vector howled the same with the original No Action skid and a studded track, then an M10 without studs. Wheels didn't help a bit.

If you have a Monoshock skid you don't have a front track shock to adjust.

Back