• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Coolant dump

EWK

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2022 Sidewinder LTX-GT EPS
Took the 2022 LTX GT out for a ride this morning before the warm up. 2 miles from trailer - sled is overheating - goes into limp mode and lots of steam coming from left side.
Shut it off - took off left side panel and coolant was everywhere. Confused at first because overflow bottle level was normal - but a steady stream of coolant running into snow. Towed it back to trailer and to the Yamaha dealer in Sudbury - which wasn’t very far away. They got me in right away, cleaned everything up and found a loose clamp on a coolant hose. Not sure which one… They could see from connecting to the module that temps went from normal to 200+ in a matter of seconds.
They refilled coolant - checked everything else out - put on my spare belt - test drove sled - and had me back on the trail in about 90 minutes. Rode 100 miles and all good.
Moral of the story is - 1) check every clamp on your coolant hoses regularly - I thought I checked them all when the sled was new, but may have missed one, and
2) Sudbury Yamaha is an outstanding dealer.
And now we wait for the cold weather to return….

get my stuff there all the time and any service work i need done there too.

Reactions: EWK
Very important to check ALL clamps sporadically. Will most likely need a small turn or two

Very important to check ALL clamps sporadically. Will most likely need a small turn or two
I checked all the clamps. Sudbury dealer checked all clamps. Refilled coolant. All good it would seem after the trailside coolant dump that no one can explain. No problems after 100 mile ride. But when I got home and checked things out - zero coolant in the overflow bottle and zero coolant in the bottle under pressure cap. WTF? Lifted front of sled up as high as I could and was able to burp out a bunch of air and add about 1L of coolant, after 2 separate burp sessions. Sled is now back at my dealer for a pressure test. Losing confidence in this sled really quickly. I have had more trouble and fiddling with this YamaCat in 4 months than with all other sleds combined in the last 40 years. Rode 100km trouble free this afternoon on the 600 backcountry thinking about next weeks trip. If I have any issues next week with the SW - it’s gone. Not fair to my riding group to ruin trips for random build quality and chassis design BS. All the goodness of the motor is lost when you can’t ride due to other issues. And it’s not fun to ride wondering what problem is coming next.

Last edited:
Take a deep breath....exhale. Everything will be alright. On my 18 it seemed like it would just eat coolant the first couple of years, would have to fill the overflow jug it seemed a couple times a season. It never over heated when riding always around the 170* mark. Then just like that it has stabilized and I've not had to touch it the past few years. I'm sure it was air in the system that worked its way out. Never had a coolant dump though. It's no secret there are a few things that MUST be done on this platform to make them reliable. As long as one follows the script outlined in detail your sled will give thousands and thousands km/miles of smiles.

Your coolant system was not bled properly upon repair as there is air remaining in your cooling loop based on your explanation on what you did to refill it. You would be surprised how many dealers do not follow /conduct the correct method of purging the cooling loop of air. It really doesn't surprise me....pressure test will detect a leak but not a properly bled cooling loop.....
The worst case scenario would be on your initial overheat condition damaged the headgasket /head and now your consuming the coolant in the engine.... Pressure test would sometimes reveal this condition.... Most likely improper bleeding of cooling loop.

I checked all the clamps. Sudbury dealer checked all clamps. Refilled coolant. All good it would seem after the trailside coolant dump that no one can explain. No problems after 100 mile ride. But when I got home and checked things out - zero coolant in the overflow bottle and zero coolant in the bottle under pressure cap. WTF? Lifted front of sled up as high as I could and was able to burp out a bunch of air and add about 1L of coolant, after 2 separate burp sessions. Sled is now back at my dealer for a pressure test. Losing confidence in this sled really quickly. I have had more trouble and fiddling with this YamaCat in 4 months than with all other sleds combined in the last 40 years. Rode 100km trouble free this afternoon on the 600 backcountry thinking about next weeks trip. If I have any issues next week with the SW - it’s gone. Not fair to my riding group to ruin trips for random build quality and chassis design BS. All the goodness of the motor is lost when you can’t ride due to other issues. And it’s not fun to ride wondering what problem is coming next.
I bought these socks that is not supposed to fall down, but as I ride on my sled they keep rolling down . It’s not right because I have to keep stopping to roll them up, not fair with my riding buddies, I complained to the dealer that sold me the socks seven times they gave me new ones . I don’t know what to do maybe switch dealers or maybe switch brands, can’t figure out

The manual recommends (if my memory serves me) to fill the reservoir bottle then run it up to operating temp, let it cool, do it again - several times. it’s quite an extensive process to ensure the system works all the air out.

When I did mine, I had the front end hoisted higher than my waist and would (since it was hanging by a sling) rock it side to side to let the air out - and you could see the air bubble up in the bottle - and kept topping the bottle up. Did this for at least 30 min. Took awhile, but worked. Never experienced your issues. The sled is a good system have faith.
Ms

I bought these socks that is not supposed to fall down, but as I ride on my sled they keep rolling down . It’s not right because I have to keep stopping to roll them up, not fair with my riding buddies, I complained to the dealer that sold me the socks seven times they gave me new ones . I don’t know what to do maybe switch dealers or maybe switch brands, can’t figure out
Thanks to all that offered helpful advice. Unfortunately this reply wasn‘t particularly helpful. Really bad analogy to compare whatever it is you are talking about to sitting on the side of the trail - 3 minutes into a long anticipated trip - with the sled at the end of a tow rope and 4 litres of coolant in the belly pan.

Thanks to all that offered helpful advice. Unfortunately this reply wasn‘t particularly helpful. Really bad analogy to compare whatever it is you are talking about to sitting on the side of the trail - 3 minutes into a long anticipated trip - with the sled at the end of a tow rope and 4 litres of coolant in the belly pan.
I wondered about that post ……. That was face book level trolling - doesn’t belong here. This site is well known to have the highest quality with its users, moderators and topics.
Ms

Back