• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cooling question

vt black rx1

Veteran
Last week end my buddy and i went for a ride good snow and trails he has 06 apex 121 i have 06 attak he had his temp light on just about all day mine did not come on at all is was warm and fan was running but no light his fan was running to but he had to pull off the trail and put snow on running boards

I have also had my 08 Apex overheat light come on recently on a warm day. I am thinking of installing the small rear heat exchanger but I'm getting mixed opinions on if it is safe to add. Heard that the track will "grab" the exchanger and rip it out of the hoses on full compression. Any thoughts??? . . . .

06's came with 100% coolant. Drain some and add distilled water. Get a tester and you'll see what I'm talking about. 100% coolant doesn't dissapate the heat very well.

YAMAMISSILE said:
I have also had my 08 Apex overheat light come on recently on a warm day. I am thinking of installing the small rear heat exchanger but I'm getting mixed opinions on if it is safe to add. Heard that the track will "grab" the exchanger and rip it out of the hoses on full compression. Any thoughts??? . . . .
If you have the apex not the Apex LTX the small cooler will work with the studs based on my measurements. The ltx models and the attacks will rip it off unless you give up some travel and build some custom tunnel protectors. :letsnow:

Stock Yamacool coolant is rated at -68 degrees...a little overkill imo.

I put the heat exchanger on my 06 apex 121" GT with studs and it would be impossible for the track to grab it. It was a great upgrade including diluting the pure coolant mixture.

dab102999 said:
SharkAttak said:
50/50 anti-freeze and some water wetter

This will work for ya..

over 5,000 miles never over heats, the 06 models came with 100% anti-freeze and i found out mine they never got all the air out of the system when new, so i drained it and filled with a 50/50 mix and 1/2 bottle of water wetter got all the air out and never had another problem and i don't have a rear cooler

Or you could do this.

Attachments

• SKI 3.JPG
    SKI 3.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 102
  • ski2.JPG
    ski2.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 96
  • ski2.JPG
    ski2.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 102
  • skis.JPG
    skis.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 93
Got my sled new[07] and hade the temp light come on in very good conditions on the first ride, went home checked the coolant mix and it was 100% . mixed it to a 60/40 to 50/50 mix and has never come on again, even in low conditions.

OK, I'm gonna ask a very dumb question. What do you guys use to test the MIXTURE? You using the same tester you use to check the rating? If so, how do you tell what mixture you have? I don't know why I can't figure this out. I have an '07 Apex that has overheated in the past, with the rear heat exchanger. I added Royal Purple's version of water wetter in it this year but haven't ridden yet. At this rate, I might not!

Use the tester that has the little balls. When you suck in the coolant you'll see all the balls go to the top indicating way too much coolant. Depending on what the tester says you usually want at least 2 balls to drop to the bottom.

Back