• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cooling system?

The Cat 4-stroke also has it. So once again it's not new to the industry.
#27 Piston cooling jet
cat oil jet.jpg

#27 Piston cooling jet
View attachment 117041
so maybe the workings , or amount of oil sprayed is better , or ,....
Never the less , a factory built turbo , would appear to benefit from this feature , of which is missing on after market turbo or SC installs .
Which makes them more susceptible to heat build up .
That alone would help sway me to getting the SW , rather than adding a turbo to the current Viper , or Nytro , or Apex , or any engine without it .
Not to mention all the other beefing up that has taken place on the 998 .

I think that not only the cooling aspect is beneficial but the fact that the cylinder walls are lubricated more efficiantly in a dry sump engine will contribute greatly to the longevity of these engines.

There is oil squirters in all Yamaha 4-stroke snowmobile engines. They currently are right in line with the main bearings and squirt on the underside of the piston as well (mainly lubing the wrist pin area).

Are those just ports in the crankcase and not actual spray nozzles? I've never looked that close to see how it was done but being a dry sump engine there has to be an oil source under the pistons to properly lubricate the cylinder walls and pin.

Last edited:
My 94 Honda prelude had them :p but I do love all the little tricks they threw together to make this pkg

Not likely on the ice. It's the exhaust pipes & muffler that causes most of the build up on Apex, Vector, Nytro, Phazer, RX1, etc.

This will exit lower right, same as Viper.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
I would say yes on the ice. My buddy I ride with has a 12 XF turbo pro cross and he gets ice build up around the rear heat exchanger and inside the tunnel on both sides. We have a nightly routine of knocking the ice off the skid and out the tunnel on the sleds. It's a bit of a pain, but part of riding. We both have quite a pile till the end of the week.

I would say yes on the ice. My buddy I ride with has a 12 XF turbo pro cross and he gets ice build up around the rear heat exchanger and inside the tunnel on both sides. We have a nightly routine of knocking the ice off the skid and out the tunnel on the sleds. It's a bit of a pain, but part of riding. We both have quite a pile till the end of the week.

Well Hell.... I got nothing then.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

That's part of the reason Yamaha put them under the running boards on the proaction chassis. That and to get sled lower for better handling

That's part of the reason Yamaha put them under the running boards on the proaction chassis. That and to get sled lower for better handling
That's ONE feature I wish they would put back, no snow issues and feet stay toasty!

That's ONE feature I wish they would put back, no snow issues and feet stay toasty!

I have a na viper and a boosted viper and 2 apexs and my feet are warmer on the vipers. Not sure why. Maybe exhaust up front by the feet. Oil tank by the feet.

#27 Piston cooling jet
View attachment 117041
If you are speaking of this new 998 motor for cat than yes,if you are speaking of there old suzuk 1100 no it did not,at least not in 2013 mine burnt down,or should say had a lot of blow by caused by out of shape cylinders caused by overheated cylinders,because of poor engineering and no coolant flowage between the cylinders,this was a car motor swapped into a snowmobile,and never should have had a turbo strapped to it.

If you are speaking of this new 998 motor for cat than yes,if you are speaking of there old suzuk 1100 no it did not,at least not in 2013 mine burnt down,or should say had a lot of blow by caused by out of shape cylinders caused by overheated cylinders,because of poor engineering and no coolant flowage between the cylinders,this was a car motor swapped into a snowmobile,and never should have had a turbo strapped to it.

The 2013 1100 has two oil nozzles, one under each piston which helps lubricate and cool the piston. This has nothing to do with the cooling, or lack of that the water jackets around the cylinder walls provide.

Back