• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Couple of concerns after first trip on 18 SW

DennyTuna

RIP-Logan-Dylan-Never forgotten!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 Winder LTX 50th
16 SR Viper RTX (red)
02 SX Viper ER (red)
97 SX Vmax 600 (red)
These are not major but still bother me. First one is the amount of ice that builds up on the inner cooler, we had 3 machines with varying amounts so we decided to compare intake temps and found it does affect intake temps but not drastic, within 20 degrees for the most part. The 18 Thundercat had way more ice build than the 2 winders did but we attributed that to simple harassment from the rider (Spaceman). Can't remember but did someone cover the inner cooler screen with frog skinz to help with this problem? The second thing is how fast they overheat when stopped. Had this happen a few times and it only takes a minute or 2 and the machine will shut down on it's own. I like that feature but don't like how quick it happens. These are minor quirks I know but thought I would share my thoughts. Pretty minor because the rest is all smiles, power, shocks, chassis, ride quality, ergos, handling, did I mention the power? Now have 850 miles on and no issues.

I was out this weekend for the first time this year. Was sitting -2 *f and went for about 15 miles or so. Stopped for my brother and dad to catch up and within about 4-5 minutes was already almost maxed on the temp scale. Shut it down for a bit. Then rode it hard and grabbed snow rest of the day and was fine, however I noticed if I would run between 20-30 mph consistently and w/ stops it would creep up a bit. Ordered some ice scratchers to throw on sounds like thats the ticket. Awesome ride though.. continues to impress for me. only 300 miles in on her.

From what I’ve found, they don’t like low speeds without fresh snow or sitting at an idle. Better off to run them hard and if going to be stopped for a few minutes, shut them off

When mine was new it would heat up quickly when stopped also, but as it "loosens" up it is getting better. Don't think it will ever like extended idling though.

I don't like idling from the old school 2 stroke days..lol. Plus, the exhaust turns my right white ski black unless it's turned out from under the pipe. I see 195 a few times before me shutting it off (to check map or bs or whatever)after going very slow, which doesn't bother me. Truck cost a lot more than this thing and it runs at 200!

The ice on the intercooler was more on the T-cat than the winders for sure. at WOT the intake temp went to max. I was indeed harassing the other sleds as Snowden stated. Mileage is improving as we break in. The throttle response is amazing. 8" Woodys, rear springs on two and couplers on three and it rails the corners at high speeds. It is darting at lower speeds but I have always put up with that for the trade in high speed cornering.

Broke my Winder in over the last few weeks in Canada, not a lot of snow but enough to get the job done. What a ride, but there were a few issues, first off, I went there with 0 miles on the sled, that was my mistake, but its a Yamaha right. I wont assume any more, after the first startup, there was no charging going on, just showing the voltage of battery as it was going down, 12,11,10,9. Eventually took sled to nearest dealer and the voltage regulator or the equivalent of that was bad from the factory. They swapped out a used one that took voltage to the normal 14.5 range and all was good there. It has worked great for 150 miles now, getting new one for permanent replacement when I get time from my local dealer. Another issue I thought I should warn new buyers about if they plan on a trip without putting some test miles on first. Most of my hoses on the cooling system needed tightening from where the factory had set them. I lost about a quart of coolant over 150 miles before I finally figured out where it was coming from. I now have two hose clamps on that hose until I get it into the shop for a better look at why its not sealing properly with the ONE hose clamp it normally has. But for now the leak has stopped, it looks like it was coming from one of those hoses that are about 3 inches below the radiator cap. Slow leak ran down hose between clutches, along frame and into belly pan under brake assbly.

My Winder is not stock, it has been reflashed, reclutched and is running 16 lbs of boost. X-TX-141 275 HP 3 inch pipe. Words alone cannot describe the feeling of what this machine is capable of. When hooking up in the right snow with studs, this thing is a BEAST. Money well spent. Even with small problems, I give this machine a 10/10. I have never owned a Yamaha snowmobile before but have had lots of fast Cats, and Polaris sleds. This is a different ball game. I am mostly a drag racer, trail racer type guy, so the straight line acceleration is what I was after. No doubt, the sled feels heavier that the two strokes in deeper snow and cornering, but who cares when you cant wipe the smile off your face from the last 1,000 ft drag race you had with your buddies.

My buddy had that same voltage regulator issue on his very first ride last week about 100 miles in. I'll check my hoses. Thanks for the tip as I head to Maine next week with 190 on it

Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy the feel. I never got the drive mine stock, but I ran it on the dyno, it had 204 to the track, with 0 miles on it.
One of the guys in Canada I was with had a new stock WInder, and his was fast, and he loved it as well. Play safe. check those clamps.

The ice on the intercooler was more on the T-cat than the winders for sure. at WOT the intake temp went to max. I was indeed harassing the other sleds as Snowden stated. Mileage is improving as we break in. The throttle response is amazing. 8" Woodys, rear springs on two and couplers on three and it rails the corners at high speeds. It is darting at lower speeds but I have always put up with that for the trade in high speed cornering.

I thought guys were changing to the Cat grille because it was a better design than the Yamaha? The thought was that the Yamaha grille has those shelf areas that snow and ice accumulate on.

Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy the feel. I never got the drive mine stock, but I ran it on the dyno, it had 204 to the track, with 0 miles on it.
One of the guys in Canada I was with had a new stock WInder, and his was fast, and he loved it as well. Play safe. check those clamps.
204 hp to the track? Really now....

These are not major but still bother me. First one is the amount of ice that builds up on the inner cooler, we had 3 machines with varying amounts so we decided to compare intake temps and found it does affect intake temps but not drastic, within 20 degrees for the most part. The 18 Thundercat had way more ice build than the 2 winders did but we attributed that to simple harassment from the rider (Spaceman). Can't remember but did someone cover the inner cooler screen with frog skinz to help with this problem? The second thing is how fast they overheat when stopped. Had this happen a few times and it only takes a minute or 2 and the machine will shut down on it's own. I like that feature but don't like how quick it happens. These are minor quirks I know but thought I would share my thoughts. Pretty minor because the rest is all smiles, power, shocks, chassis, ride quality, ergos, handling, did I mention the power? Now have 850 miles on and no issues.

I did the barn of parts mod to mine....no more plugging up with ice. There is a thread in the sidewinder threads.
20171130_200911.jpg

Back