• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Couple of problems??

sheetwright

Northwoods Snowmobiling Facebook
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 Yamaha SRX
I have not had a chance to take out the sled I just purchased yet, but have noticed a couple of things that seam to be a problem. Plus they are things that I have seen pop up on these sites as issues. Wondering what you, or the dealer had to do to fix the problems.
Item#1
The right thumb warmer never seems to shut of, and gets hotter than@$#%. It doesn't show that it is on, on the gauges, but you can definitley feel it. Heard there were some heating issues on some Nytos? Is there a fix?

Item#2
I put he sled up on a lift to let my Dad hear what it sounds like. Just running it for a couple of minutes made the lights come on for overheating. The dealer I bought it from said it's not a big deal, and it's just a warning, not the truth. I also talked to Hauk up north and they said it shouldn't be doing that, and they would look into it. I don't want to cause any damage to the engine. They both said not to screw with the coolant mixutre. SO wondering whats the deal with this?

Thanks for the help again :rocks:

1# push UP on the hand/thumb wammers to get the display for the thumb and keep hitting up till it resets to zero!!!!

2# its summer, sleds get hot very fast in this evenviroment. keep starting it and you'll foul the plugs!!! wait till winter....

sheetwright said:
I have not had a chance to take out the sled I just purchased yet, but have noticed a couple of things that seam to be a problem. Plus they are things that I have seen pop up on these sites as issues. Wondering what you, or the dealer had to do to fix the problems.
Item#1
The right thumb warmer never seems to shut of, and gets hotter than@$#%. It doesn't show that it is on, on the gauges, but you can definitley feel it. Heard there were some heating issues on some Nytos? Is there a fix?

Item#2
I put he sled up on a lift to let my Dad hear what it sounds like. Just running it for a couple of minutes made the lights come on for overheating. The dealer I bought it from said it's not a big deal, and it's just a warning, not the truth. I also talked to Hauk up north and they said it shouldn't be doing that, and they would look into it. I don't want to cause any damage to the engine. They both said not to screw with the coolant mixutre. SO wondering whats the deal with this?

Thanks for the help again :rocks:

Number 1 - Like he said ^^^.

Number 2 - Coolant mixture from the factory is insane. You couldn't freeze these things with liquid Nitrogen. I had the heating light come on a bunch of times on hard pack (once late at night by myself 20 yards from a moose). It's not a nice feeling. I then tested the coolant and determined it was good to -58 celcius. Since none of us live in the arctic I'm guessing you are safe to dilute the coolant as you see fit. I actually took out about 2 litres of coolant and added the same in distilled water. I would do this slowly ensuring you do no more than 1/2 to 1 litre at a time and testing each time. I hear Water Wetter is an excellent additive, and I will be adding it this year. Our local tricksters (CT) showed they had some in stock, but when I went to pick it up they had no idea what I was talking about. I was there a few weeks ago and see it on the shelves, so someone decided to unload the stock.

Anyway, since diluting my coolant, I'm still good to -40 Celcius (still too thick), but haven't overheated once.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

One more thing...Your coolant warning light is Yellow with a symbol on the gauge (signifying cooling). If you are referring to the red light, that is normal. It shuts off when the sled is warmed up (ready to use).

Goddo said:
One more thing...Your coolant warning light is Yellow with a symbol on the gauge (signifying cooling). If you are referring to the red light, that is normal. It shuts off when the sled is warmed up (ready to use).

It is turning yellow for overheating. I heard from others that you should dilute it also. Otherwise how would the dealers be doing test runs with their sled in the grass and dirt?? Unless they have some other method of cooling? I know this is a cold weather machine. Just didn't think it would trigger the overheat warning so quick. I will double check that I hit the thumb switch off :o| Hope I wasn't being stupid, but I thought I had everything off while I was working on it. The dealer said that they only had that problem on the apex models not the Nytro's. Thanks again for the help

isnt' the yellow light the warming up light???? and Red is overheat???

Yamaha has put in a new type of antifreeze propylene glycol in their sleds. You need a spectrograph type of antifreeze tester to test it properly. Using an old ball type tester will register 100 % glycol. If you added water , it will not be up to par.

Daranello said:
isnt' the yellow light the warming up light???? and Red is overheat???

Yamaha has put in a new type of antifreeze in their sleds. You need a spectrograph type of antifreeze tester to test it properly. Using an old ball type tester will register 100 % glycol. If you added water , it will not be up to par.

I will have to double check. It was flashing yellow saying overheating. I will check later and see. I just shut it off when I saw what it was saying to be on the safe side. Thae dealer said the same thing about the adding of water. Would any of the mod's cause something like that, or programming changes?

A brief engine warm-up period is required, during which time a warning icon appeared on the dash. Once the bright amber warning light went out your good to go...

is that the light your seeing????

Daranello said:
A brief engine warm-up period is required, during which time a warning icon appeared on the dash. Once the bright amber warning light went out your good to go...

Yellow is overheat red is warm up

Doogs said:
Daranello said:

Yellow is overheat red is warm up

ya maybe its been a while since I started my sled

Back