• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Decibel Testing on SanDale Mufflers for the 998

I just want know which performance muffler is the quietest?
Actually I know the PEFI muffler is the quietest, just not the best for power
Is the old adage "you cant have power without sound" still true after all these years?

The 2.5" muffler shown above is probably a lot better flowing than stock and probably not discernably louder. It also doesn't have that that weird peak output @5000 RPM like the modified stock muffler. But.. you can't really compare brand to brand without having their readings.

Last edited:

When a quiet 3" performance muffler shows up that makes awesome power I'll put my money up.
TD 3” stock mod. Pulled the TD turbo force 2.5 which wasn’t all that loud but had drone to it. The 3” stock mod is perfect and is only slightly louder than stock and running this on a 290 TD tune

TD 3” stock mod. Pulled the TD turbo force 2.5 which wasn’t all that loud but had drone to it. The 3” stock mod is perfect and is only slightly louder than stock and running this on a 290 TD tune

With his headers breaking and they don't stand behind them I won't waste my money on his mufflers.

I just want know which performance muffler is the quietest?
Actually I know the PEFI muffler is the quietest, just not the best for power
Is the old adage "you cant have power without sound" still true after all these years?
I ran the sandale 2.5 for 3 seasons, but it got progressively louder as the packing wore out. When it was fairly new and under 1000 miles, it was nearly identical to my brother's 2.5 TD SQ. Both were pretty reasonable on the trail all day. Sandale got too loud over time. This year I went with the 3" TD stock mod and I think it's comparable to my brother's 2.5 TD SQ. Whether TDs SQ packing blows out with more miles remains to be seen as my brother doesn't put many miles on living out of state. What I can tell you is the sandale 2.5 made more power than the SQ and 3" stock mod I ran this year. My brother and I ran identical setups on the railbeds many times with only this muffler change and I lost power dropping the sandale. I could pull away top end over 100 mph from him, when I switched to 3" stock mod we are now even all the way through up to 125mph. I would venture to guess in real world conditions, that Sandale was making a solid more 6-8 HP than the SQ and 3" stock mod.

Is hurricane a sandale 2.5?

With his headers breaking and they don't stand behind them I won't waste my money on his mufflers.
Wouldnt be wasting any money, his 2.5" SQ and 3" SQ are great mufflers. Make great power, sound great and last forever. I think fleecers sq muffler is pushing 10,000 miles and that equates to 20,000 miles for everybody else.

Are you referring to the hurricane trail muffler? If so that is not a sandale, its a muffler designed by Dave.
thanks, dave mentioned its baffle muffler with no packing so it shouldn't wear out.
not sure if the sandale has packing.

If its the same bellows thats breaking on his headers I am not interested.

I ran the sandale 2.5 for 3 seasons, but it got progressively louder as the packing wore out. When it was fairly new and under 1000 miles, it was nearly identical to my brother's 2.5 TD SQ. Both were pretty reasonable on the trail all day. Sandale got too loud over time. This year I went with the 3" TD stock mod and I think it's comparable to my brother's 2.5 TD SQ. Whether TDs SQ packing blows out with more miles remains to be seen as my brother doesn't put many miles on living out of state. What I can tell you is the sandale 2.5 made more power than the SQ and 3" stock mod I ran this year. My brother and I ran identical setups on the railbeds many times with only this muffler change and I lost power dropping the sandale. I could pull away top end over 100 mph from him, when I switched to 3" stock mod we are now even all the way through up to 125mph. I would venture to guess in real world conditions, that Sandale was making a solid more 6-8 HP than the SQ and 3" stock mod.
It feels like it makes more power but it is WAY to loud to enjoy the sound it make

Way to loud for me anyways

Are you referring to the hurricane trail muffler? If so that is not a sandale, its a muffler designed by Dave

I know hurricane uses sandale in some of their upgrades. Manufacturing mufflers at small scale doesn't make sense so even if Dave is spec'ing them, its probably from another manufacturer.

I know hurricane uses sandale in some of their upgrades. Manufacturing mufflers at small scale doesn't make sense so even if Dave is spec'ing them, its probably from another manufacturer.
[/QUOTE
Probably from another manufacturer yes, definetly not sandale though.

I think we all have learned and know that the best performance mufflers on the 998 Turbo are going to be loud.
For me...I have found the TD 3" Stock Mod, although not the biggest power maker, is the best balance between noise and power of the four different mufflers I have installed.

I think we all have learned and know that the best performance mufflers on the 998 Turbo are going to be loud.
For me...I have found the TD 3" Stock Mod, although not the biggest power maker, is the best balance between noise and power of the four different mufflers I have installed.
Did you try a TD 3" SQ PM?

The Mufflers I have tried:
-Stock
-TD 2.5" SQ
-Hurricane Trail Perf Muffler
-TD 3" Stock Mod
Performance of all the Perf Mufflers seemed about the same...it was the sound, or lack there of, I was after.

Back