• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Muffler Decibel Test take-two - Stock, TD SuperQuiet, SanDale Hyperflow

I agree the real test is under load. The closest you will get on the stand is hitting the throttle with the belt on and track on. Make sure track is very tight before trying that.
This will put a load on the motor and create a more realistic sound. Then again the track noise will influence the reading.
Without the belt on there won't be enough load.

the track noise will be a constant thou so it will still tell us how much more noise from stock as long as you do stock as well correct?

Guess we'll find out. My guess is that the exhausts (even stock) are loud enough to override the track. Planning on doing it all this Sunday. Dave's Hindle showed up today so that'll be included as well. Stock, TD SQ, SanDale 3" and Hurricane.

With all mufflers they get louder with age and some drastically louder. Thanks for taking the time to do the testing.

With all mufflers they get louder with age and some drastically louder. Thanks for taking the time to do the testing.

how true...a truer test would be all with a 1000 miles on...including a high speed driveby

You guys will get what you get and like it ;)

So you're saying the ONLY thing you're doing this weekend is removing & installing $2000 worth of mufflers, video taping the db levels at idle, mid rpm's & possibly high rpm's hoping not to blow something up while burning your grass & trying to NOT infuriate your neighbors or even piss your wife off to the point you become LONELY BEERMAN all so us needy snow junkies can listen & criticize your findings?

We won't be happy unless we all turn 25 again, TD gives us free mufflers & all the DEP cops where ear plugs. Can you help us out on these issues BEERMAN?

Steve, I saw this once in a cartoon and I'm pretty sure the physics will work, but I may need your help. I'll have my dog, son and daughter on line to help. My dog (and not just any dog, a German Shepherd) will hold the bumper in her teeth - allowing the track to spin and dig into the lawn as deeply as possible, thus placing full load on the engine for maximum sound at high rpm. My Son will stand next to my dog yelling motivational phrases like "there is no try, only do or do not." while dangling pupperoni treats above her head encouraging her to hold 270 Powertrail HP back, which she clearly can, unless a rabbit darts out during any off the tests. My daughter meanwhile will take a break from snapchating and instagramming just long enough to occasionally hit the dB app reset button and then restart the video camera while she of course is chewing gum. I'll need your help to pick up the chunks of sod from my front yard and put them back before my wife comes home.

Now if only we had a TD TurboForce to test as well . . .

Last edited:
Yikes, I need to stay away from the keyboard when the cocktails are flowing.

A serious request for anyone in the Minneapolis area
If you have a TD TurboForce, OSP or a muffler I don't already have for this next test and you'd be willing to donate it for an hour - please let me know ASAP.

The more mufflers I can include in this, the more valuable it will be. NOS-Pro already did the best test possible on the Evo.

Thanks and stay tuned

We have tested them all here and I'll save you a little trouble...

In order of quiet to loud in my opinion with a 1 out of 10 scale

stock (idle 1, cruise 1 WOT 1)
stock modified (idle 2 cruise 2 WOT 3)
Super quiet (idle 3 Cruise 4 WOT 6)
Hindle (idle 4 cruise 5 WOT 7)
Turbo Force (Idle 4.5 Cruise 5.5 WOT 7.5)
3" race pipe (Idle 6, Cruise 7 WOT 9)
3" straight pipe (Idle 7 Cruise 8 WOT 10)

As for the other choices sandale, evo etc... I have not tested them.

Your DB testing should confirm this, it would be nice to see how the other options fall into.

assuming the above was with zero miles
All mufflers new...

Another note... all non baffled muffler that rely on packing will get louder with time. No exception.
The Stock Mod and stock exhaust should stay pretty much the same unless a baffle is damaged...

Also take note that no baffled mufflers should be used with the Antilag feature... that can hurt the baffles. And Antilag will reduce life of all mufflers.
If used in moderation, not significantly, but still you are sending flames and gas through the exhaust, which increases EGT quite a bit.

thoughts on this...smaller bodied cans will have less packing than a larger and later with miles would be louder?

Back