• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

draining battery

kimcoop1324

Extreme
Country
USA
I have put in 2 factory batteries and they both died and couldn't be saved. this all happened in the 1st year of owning my brand new 2018 sidewinder. I brought it in to shop so they could check the sled out to see if there was a draw causing the dead batteries and they found nothing. I then went and bought a earth x battery which cost a lot more than I wanted to pay but figured the factory batteries were junk and this is why they would die. well the earth x battery only lasted 3 weeks in my sled before it to died and wont take a charge. I then decided to see if I could find a draw. I put in a brand new battery and with nothing connected but the battery I noticed a draw of .94 amps. I then unplugged the hood and the meter dropped to .77 amps . I pulled the fuse cover and pulled out one fuse at a time and the meter went to 0 when I removed the battery fuse. I reinstalled the fuse and kept pulling the others until I got another 0 on the meter. this time the fuse was the ign fuse or ignition I'm guessing. I used another meter and checked the volts running across it and my meter said .2 amps. I have no idea what to do next or what the ignition has to do with this dead battery issue but I could use some help if anyone can point me in the right direction. thanks mike

I have asked dave from hurricane if the flasher would go into sleep mode and he said it would. I noticed the blinking light go out on the flasher after a few minutes of turning the key off so I'm assuming its in sleep mode.

I have asked dave from hurricane if the flasher would go into sleep mode and he said it would. I noticed the blinking light go out on the flasher after a few minutes of turning the key off so I'm assuming its in sleep mode.

It does not stop pulling Voltage, it will be in sleep mode but it will kill your battery. Trust me I have been down this road over and over and I have to unplug the flasher when it sits for more then a week or the sled will be dead.

Yup, this is your issue. Unplug that Flasher. I unplug mine whenever the sled sits for more than a couple days, just to be on the safe side.

I tried to disconnect my flasher which in fact changed the amp reading from .77 to 0 and I then checked the millivolts across the ignition fuse which was 00. this seemed to be the draw issue like you said. I did plug the flasher back in and it went to .77 again and the light on the flasher was flashing so I waited a few minutes until it went out (sleep mode) . I then check my meter and it was at .13 amps and across the ignition fuse was 00. I suppose this tiny milliamp draw could kill the battery over a week or more.

I tried to disconnect my flasher which in fact changed the amp reading from .77 to 0 and I then checked the millivolts across the ignition fuse which was 00. this seemed to be the draw issue like you said. I did plug the flasher back in and it went to .77 again and the light on the flasher was flashing so I waited a few minutes until it went out (sleep mode) . I then check my meter and it was at .13 amps and across the ignition fuse was 00. I suppose this tiny milliamp draw could kill the battery over a week or more.

It will and it does. Learn my lesson the hard way and left it plug in for 2 weeks and when it gets cold it’s worse.

A common issue is a bad voltage regulator, which is actually both a voltage regulator and a rectifier. It can be shorted out if the battery is ever connected backwards. Disconnect it and see if that eliminates the draw. If it does, it's fried.

Like has been said, the draw is the flasher, I lost my Shorai battery last year because I left the flasher hooked up for a couple weeks. Same with my buds machine, two weeks and the battery is bone dead. You can't leave them plugged in for any length of time. Unplug them and there is no draw on the battery.

Definitely the flasher, I had a dead battery last year and wondered if it could be the flasher that caused this but was told no as they had put out an update to stop the LED from flashing and having any draw on the battery. Put a brand new battery in the sled and couple months later battery was dead again, had to buy another new battery, not I do not leave my flasher plugged in when sled is sitting for any length of time.

I always leave my flasher pugged in and never had a dead battery but good to know.

Back