• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Earth X battery

DO NOT USE NOCO IN SNOWMOBILE!!! great for my sea doo's and atv, this battery has a BM System and shuts down charging at -10, i blew my regulator in northern Quebec.. very expensive lesson.

DO NOT USE NOCO IN SNOWMOBILE!!! great for my sea doo's and atv, this battery has a BM System and shuts down charging at -10, i blew my regulator in northern Quebec.. very expensive lesson.
I know two 998 riders that have fried their Voltage regulators after boosting their sleds with a dead lead acid battery then riding the sleds. It seems the 998s charging system can not handle relying only on their charging system for operating once the battery is dead.

one issue with Lithium batteries in cold weather is they need to be pre-warmed up to supply the max CCA of the battery, the problem is on a sled you need to crank over the sled several times to get the maximum CCA which then puts wear and tear on the starter, I had a Shorai on my Apex and in the cold starts I needed to do several starts to get the pre-warmup to get the max CCA from the battery so the trade off is the wear and tear on the starter which is very costly, so I opted to replace the Shorai with a AGM battery.

one issue with Lithium batteries in cold weather is they need to be pre-warmed up to supply the max CCA of the battery, the problem is on a sled you need to crank over the sled several times to get the maximum CCA which then puts wear and tear on the starter, I had a Shorai on my Apex and in the cold starts I needed to do several starts to get the pre-warmup to get the max CCA from the battery so the trade off is the wear and tear on the starter which is very costly, so I opted to replace the Shorai with a AGM battery.
I've been told pre warming happens when you put some load on it, like turning the key and letting the display light on, roll over valve element (on newer sidewinders) etc. is this enough?

I've been told pre warming happens when you put some load on it, like turning the key and letting the display light on, roll over valve element (on newer sidewinders) etc. is this enough?

Typically yes, turning anything on that uses battery power will warm the battery enough. I learned this using the Shorai on my old 1200. It wouldn't crank the engine enough trying to start it, but I had a small fan on the sled I could toggle on and it was enough to warm the battery to be able to crank the engine just fine.

The sidewinder also has the lights come on when turning the key on. I've never had any issues with firing up the Sidewinder with the Shorai lightweight as I always turn the key on to warm the aftermarket closed loop 02 sensor, and hook my phone up to the GAP flasher prior to starting. Its plenty to warm the battery.

Anyone had luck with these things on a daily rider stored in cool and not on chargers constantly yet? My battery just shitted out this summer an so did the Mrs’ on her vr1 so in market for 2. Obviously hers is no biggie as there is a rope that works sufficiently if needed. Thanks all.

Anyone had luck with these things on a daily rider stored in cool and not on chargers constantly yet? My battery just shitted out this summer an so did the Mrs’ on her vr1 so in market for 2. Obviously hers is no biggie as there is a rope that works sufficiently if needed. Thanks all.

Had luck?

IMO the lithiums are better than normal lead acid or AGM batteries. I run a NOCO lithium in my motorcycle and the Shorai in my Sidewinder without issues. They carry more voltage than standard batteries and seem to last twice as long or more IMO. You just have to make sure to get them without a BMS that shuts down in the cold. Been talked about on these forums a bunch. If the batter has no drain on it they don't need trickle charging in the off season either, on the other had if you drain them down to nothing they may not come back either.

Had luck?

IMO the lithiums are better than normal lead acid or AGM batteries. I run a NOCO lithium in my motorcycle and the Shorai in my Sidewinder without issues. They carry more voltage than standard batteries and seem to last twice as long or more IMO. You just have to make sure to get them without a BMS that shuts down in the cold. Been talked about on these forums a bunch. If the batter has no drain on it they don't need trickle charging in the off season either, on the other had if you drain them down to nothing they may not come back either.
Great to hear. Ordered 2 last night. I know there was lots of issues with cold and starting and that worried me and why I held off. For 12lb savings off the back bumper and better cranking I figured we would be sufficient. Use these a ton with rc cars over the years so know the benefits but also know temp effects them good and bad ways.

Anyway thank you for removing some doubt I have been having.

I've used an Antigravity battery on my old SR Viper, always worked, down to -30°C. Voltage wouldn't drop over summer storage, fired right up. Until I got the updated flash then got issues starting it lol.

I've now installed one on my Sidewinder, it would have some issues starting at -30°C. But -20 no problem. Bought a booster that supposedly works for lithium batteries, and a lithium battery c-tec charger because the Sidewinder seems to drop voltage over the summer. Why is the SW so different from SRV?

Another thing worth considering is how much moisture is in the air where you check the temperature. Down by the ocean -10°C can really bite, but -10°C way up in the mountain is fine.

Anybody tried insulating their battery?

Back