• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drone gets louder after a while

I switched out my Heartbreaker with drone insert for a new Viney Fab 3".... Drone got to me finally...lol Guess I'm old now..
Have you ridden with the Viney Fab yet? What did you think of it? I have only had the stock muffler and the VF so nothing to compare it to but I don't think it's that loud. I wouldn't call it quiet either but I haven't noticed any drone or anything.

I removed my SQ for my ride last week and I'll tell you running the stock muffler is way more enjoyable. I can live with 260hp which is more than you need for trail riding.

Curious what weights you have when you put the Stock Muffler back on? I'm removing my SQ and putting in the stock (with Stock Muffler Jukebox and will run the Max Spool 16 SM Tune) I have the DTYA1 weights and was just going to run them empty to start at 73.6gr. I pretty much never run WOT just ride fast corner to corner.

I am running the TD MSM , YES the drone is getting louder as the miles go on .Also starting to melt side panel at muffler outlet.

Last edited:
What about a header wrap on it ? Would that decrease the drone noise ? The drone noise is because the muffler is not insulated, would the wrap act like it was a bit insulated ?

Curious what weights you have when you put the Stock Muffler back on? I'm removing my SQ and putting in the stock (with Stock Muffler Jukebox and will run the Max Spool 16 SM Tune) I have the DTYA1 weights and was just going to run them empty to start at 73.6gr. I pretty much never run WOT just ride fast corner to corner.
I have the dtya1s empty right now. I haven’t had an opportunity to pull top end to get an accurate rpm reading.

I have the dtya1s empty right now. I haven’t had an opportunity to pull top end to get an accurate rpm reading.
Cool thanks so same setup I will have, I was hoping to get out this week to test before I head north on Friday but this rain is not helping :(

I switched out my Heartbreaker with drone insert for a new Viney Fab 3".... Drone got to me finally...lol Guess I'm old now..
How loud is the viney fab neen looking at it for a while

Very quiet... The quietest 3" exhaust available for the 998 IMPO. My buddy has a 3" Sandale trail setup and this is a touch quieter. I couldn't be happier with it. Under full boost it has a nice growl to it t00....

Very quiet... The quietest 3" exhaust available for the 998 IMPO. My buddy has a 3" Sandale trail setup and this is a touch quieter. I couldn't be happier with it. Under full boost it has a nice growl to it t00....
What tune do run with the viney fab? which tune do you like the best?

I run TD Max Spool 17 for trail riding..... And Max 19 for racing on T4 fuel.

How many guys have high mileage with stock muffler and tunes. Have heard motors will not last long with the heat buildup from tunes and stock muffler. Hard on turbo and internals would be my guess. Especially valves?

The older I get the more I like QUIET, SMOOTH yet still want and love the POWER. Sounds like some of you feel the same.

How many guys have high mileage with stock muffler and tunes. Have heard motors will not last long with the heat buildup from tunes and stock muffler. Hard on turbo and internals would be my guess. Especially valves?
I have heard this also but have yet to see anyone post examples of failure

I have heard this also but have yet to see anyone post examples of failure
Well Stain, if you have heard this also, I'm sure their are more. That is why I'm questioning going back to stock muffler with tunes.

Well Stain, if you have heard this also, I'm sure their are more. That is why I'm questioning going back to stock muffler with tunes.
I should have said i have heard about this in theory but have never seen a first hand failure. Has anyone seen a burnt valve attributed to a stock muffler tune first hand?

Back