• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ECP oiled the clutches

yamawarrior

Extreme
I run a 04 warrior, installed the ECP kit this year (1000 miles) The sled ran awsome until the clutches got oil all lin them. WE ran in Quebec for the first time this year. ran for 3 days with out trouble. On the fourth day after about 140 miles the clutches started slipping. I tried to clean them (on the sled) but no good.

I know the evac has been beat to death. I met a guy with a 05 (bigblackwarrior on TC) and he was running the evac. He was "burning" a quart every 75 miles. My guess is that he was sucking into the carbs and burning it.

Is there any way maybe to collect the oil from the breather? I dont want to remove the ECP but i dont want to run the EVAC and burn oil. We ran pretty consistnant speeds average of 55 MPH. Does the motor build pressure at certain rpms?

I also clutched the sled and installed Ohlins this year. Huge diffence from last year. I feel like i got a new sled. Love the power and sound of the motor with the ecp. Can anybody offer some info.

I talked with BBW last night and came to the conclusion that the evac kit filled with water and froze and then popped his seals. When you running that cold and fast, the water just freezes and you don't have any time to drain. I have only ridden 200 miles so far, but I get less than a couple of tablespoons of water. BBW said when he drains, it is more like a cup of water. Maybe we need to design an evac heater.

I would like to get the evac kit I have the ECP kit I am going to install but up here in Maine it gets real cold I dont want any issues. I ride about 150 miles at a time real hard. Can we make the part that holds the water bigger so you dont end up freezing etc. I have had no trouble with my RX and I dont want any. Is there alot of problems with this issue?

Simply remove the cap when you're done riding for the day to let it drain and install it the next time you ride. This is the main reason I run the kit, to keep oil mist off the clutches. I now have a 1,000 miles with my evac and havn't burnt any oil yet. I'm guessing the oil issue has to do with how the rings were broken in. You will always get some oil mist in the crank case air regardless, look at the end of the PCV valve on your car or truck and notice the sludge :ORC

05 with evac I ran about 6 inches extra on the drain down tube once in awhile I forget to drain and I haven't plugged it off yet,always lots of water. No oil consumption yet period,rode 120 miles in -10f weather no motor carb probs. but suspension freezes lots of ice there exstreme conds maybe nice sled though. 500 total miles LaLaLa

the amount of oil is significant. I am not running the evac. After i park the sled a oil puddle will accumulate under the sled. I pulled the sides and checked the motor. The oil is deffinatly coming form the breather. We were riding in average temps of -20 hit a low of almost -30 the motor ran awsome. Long lake pulls no problem. what can i do about the oil.

When riding in 10 degree or colder weather my evac is frozen solid in the drain cap and I have to punch it clear with a screwdriver. PITA! The power is great but I don't know if I would do it again. I don't find it enjoyable to get watery oil all over the bottom of my sled and hands every time I stop to eat or am done riding...

My drain hose on my evac kit is about 10 inches long it runs down to just above the tie rod.I put a garden hose valve on the end ,just turn it and drain out any water no mess on your hands and it is close enough to the motor it will never freeze.While riding.Matter a fact I drained mine last nite after the sled sat in the trailer for 3 hours while heading back home.The temp was in the single digits.

I think that I have the same problem as BBW had. Rode Friday night sled ran beautiful, it was -15 degrees. Went to ride Sat. after a few passes sled was running bad. Loooked at filters, everthing was covered eith oil including carbs. I had forgot to empty evac on Friday. Cleaned everything up and put my stock air box back on. Sled ran great but when I opened my airbox it had a lot of oil in it. BBW what seals did you blow? Boston loooks like I am out of the TY ride until I repair my motor. Any help on this sight would be appreciated.
Thanks, Larry

RX 136,

The second ride I made with the kit in December I forgot to drain the kit. It froze and I blew my valve cover gasket. All you need to do is order the gasket $13 and some RTV sealant. Pull your valve cover, clean with brake cleaner and reinstall. The total job should not take more than 1.5 hours.

Silver,

Good idea on making it long so it gets closer to the motor so it doesn't freeze. I will have to do that to mine.

Mighty it is a good thing you don't keep your sled for long or you might be like all the others blowing oil. I haven't figured the cause, but the result is excess case pressure. The solution is to have more venting. The vent is only 5/8" and with pressure the oil will come out. Evacing it into the carbs is not the answer. More vents is. Preferably at least 3 -
5/8" vents should stop the oil from coming out the vents.

The air kit is not the source of the problem for pushing oil out of your engine(s).

Without an evac, just extend the hose from the black plastic catch can over to the other side of the engine compartment. Loop the hose up over the engine so whatever oil gets into the hose can drain back into the engine via gravity. Seems as 10% to 15% of the RX1 engines push oil out of the crankcase vent wether an air kit is installed or not.

I agree the air kit is not the cause. But simply lengthening the hose is not the answer. In fact the longer the hose is the more the pressure will increase, i.e. more resistance to venting. You need less resistance to the vent. Either a larger vent, not easy since the stock vent is 5/8" or more vents to a higher point so that residual oil that makes it that far will drain back to the source.

[/img]

Attachments

• 106_0669.jpg
    106_0669.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 1A LPRO EVAC BOX UNIVERSAL   STOCK 5.jpg
    1A LPRO EVAC BOX UNIVERSAL STOCK 5.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 131
What would be the effect of leaving the cap off of the bottom and letting it drain on its own? would the carbs take in too much air through the hose decreasing the evac system for the the oil etc. or would it still be able to take in both and still allow the water to drain?

Back