• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine Break-in

YamaHank

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 SR Viper RTX
Anyone know what the engine break in period/procedure is for our Genesis engines?

I am a firm believer that you break it in just like you plan to ride it..... my first trip on a new machine is 120 kms down an old mining road. hard on the throttle for a few big runs, and a little shower through the twists.
Treat it just like you would if it was broke in.

I always take it easy, in & out of the throttle for the first 50 to 100 miles making sure that there is no manufacturing defects & then let it loose!!!
Had many Yamaha four strokes & done the same with all with no problems!
Don't hold it wide open for any long distance for 200 miles!

:4STroke:

yukon yamaha said:
I am a firm believer that you break it in just like you plan to ride it..... my first trip on a new machine is 120 kms down an old mining road. hard on the throttle for a few big runs, and a little shower through the twists.
Treat it just like you would if it was broke in.

X2

Don't have the sled yet but did get the owners manual.

- 15 Minutes @ idle
- 100 miles under 6,000 rpm with short bursts above, no long hard pulls.
- 200-300 Miles under 8,000 rpm, short runs above.

No long hard pulls until 300 miles or 500 Kilo after that have at it!

TestMaster said:
Don't have the sled yet but did get the owners manual.

- 15 Minutes @ idle
- 100 miles under 6,000 rpm with short bursts above, no long hard pulls.
- 200-300 Miles under 8,000 rpm, short runs above.

No long hard pulls until 300 miles or 500 Kilo after that have at it!
Do they really expect us to be able to resist cracking that sucker open. Lol

My dealer(D&D) says for a fact their best running sleds are the ones that they break in on the dyno. Obviously we all don't have a dyno to break in our sleds but it's basically the concept of more the less doing some long wide open runs..no not running down a field for a mile wide open but yes I'd say 4-5 seconds wide open and working the throttle constantly. Was always told to never hold the throttle in a steady position for a long period of time on a new/newly rebuilt engine.

I'm going to break mine in on a week day when all my buddies are down state, or grooming the trails. Might be able to do it that way.

Broke my SRX in with a 5 minute warm up and never saw under 6,000 rpm. Cooked the engine at 2500 Miles but it was a fluke. Tore the whole engine apart and did not find the root cause of the failure. After replacing most of the engine with new parts ($2,800) and getting ready to reinstall I asked my buddy what haven't looked at yet and the only thing we could come up with was the thermostat.

Five minutes later after pulling the cover "lowe and behold" the thermostat had failed and the spring with the retainer had popped off the end of the rod and blocked water flow to the heads.

Only one of those failures I've ever heard of, I know many SRX owners with 12,000+ miles and no issues.

I think for us new viper owners we are going to see the performance of our sleds keep improving throughout the entire year if not the first 2 years. Sold my apex with 4600 miles and I feel it was at the point where it was running the best it ever had, probably cuz the engine was finally fully broken in. Breaking a sled in hard may shorten the engine life..but honestly I'm not going to be putting 30,000 miles on my viper so I'm not too concerned about engine longevity even tho I fully feel there will be no issues

I believe that this is a 100,000 mile motor which the chassis will never outlive. First valve adjustment is 25,000 miles.

I will break it in like they say cause I'm retired and for once in my life have the time. but I think a short no hard pulls through deep heavy snow for extended periods and RPM varied between 6000 and 8000 rpm is a very good idea.

the one thing that is a must is change oil and filter at 500 miles. You might be surprised what can end up in you crankcase or oil filter during that 500 mile initial break in.

I've heard some horror stories about engines not lasting because of improper break in..but the. Again that was on older 2smokes. On the other hand what scares me would be to do everything by the book as far as break in and have my sled end up to be a turd and have no power long term

I am a firm believer that if something is going to go wrong with a four stroke (Yamaha) it will be in the first 500 kms, after that bomb proof motor. I have been at this dealership since 2007 and never seen an engine come apart without a good reason behind it. Over boost, person changes oil and two oil filter gaskets left on and machine leaks its oil on the trail, or my fave some one put too long of spark plugs in because the NGK number was close to what they had. My 2008 rtx nytro had 200 kms before she got 240 hp and she went 5500kms before she was sold and bumped up to 400.... hope she holds together at 400

Do it by the book, a three hundred mile break-in will go by quickly. Read the manual, their not asking that you be a saint and varying engine rpm between 6000 and 8000 rpm is allowed.

Well my first 03 Rx-1 I did by the book mainly 6000 rpms with short bursts above. Rode it for 500 miles in 2 days did an oil and filter change in the UP in my trailer. did 3000 more miles that year. Next fall I changed oil & filter again rode it another 1000 miles and it blew up.

From then on 2 more RX's 3 Apex and 1 attack I ride them like I stole them never a problem since.

Back