• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Valve Tolerance

here is another canadian 1
my 07 had 7800 miles and was making the exhaust donut puffing noise
well it turned out to be valve guide on 1 exhaust valve
and it took out the whole engine
yammi canada said "never heard of it before"
they did replace the engine and now i have almost 2000 on the new 1
not as buttet proof as claimed
but still pretty good unit :Rockon:

Dealer took out motor, found exhaust valves to be cracked, will be replacing all valves and doing the head. Local Rep also said "never heard of this problem" Looks like 07's have valve problems after break-in. Would be interesting to see if there is a pattern with VIN numbers. Love the sled when it is running but quickly losing confidence in it. Don't know how many times Yamaha will step up to the plate to fix thier manufacturing problems.

Well you can add my 06 Rage with 12,600 miles to the list. It has low compression in #1 cylinder. It doesn't idle very well.

I removed the valve cover and found 1 exhaust valve too tight. It showed signs of the cam lobe touching the lifter all the way around. Cold it has a clearance of (.004 in.) but I'm sure the valve is already burnt.

I have not updated the cam tensioner yet, the cam chain, sprockets, and timing look OK.

I emailed the local dealer the pictures will see what they say.

You guys are starting to scare me. I just bought a 2012 Vector and was hoping it would be the last sled I needed to buy. I have very good luck with my Yammie outboard so I decided to purchase the sled. I estimate to have between 1200 - 1500 hours on my 150 hp with no issues what so ever (bought in 2004). Just do the annual maintenance and check the oil level.

Thanks

I don't mean to scare anyone off this motor, just was getting tired of hearing how bullet proof this motor is, while mine is continually in for major repairs.(Up to this point Yamaha Canada has helped out, a little worried now that they are part of Yammi USA). Just to update you on the latest repairs, I did not get the sled back untll snow was gone so have not been able to try it out. I did find out that the parts were sent direct to the dealer from Yamaha Canada, the part numbers that were sent did not match the part numbers that the dealer would normally get for a 07'. Will update you once we get some white gold on the ground and I can put a few miles on it. Maybe now I have one of those bullet proof motor as well.

Hi guys. This is my 1st post. I bought a used 2007 Vector GT last fall with 4500 miles. Overall I like the sled (I've owned all 4 brands, most recently Cats). I had virtually no experience with Yamaha 4 strokes, particularly the triples. I admired them from what I read in magazines and so forth. I own a Triumph motorcycle with a 3 cylinder engine and love the sound, power and torque. I would like your advice. My sled has pretty much the same symptoms as the one mentioned in this thread. It starts very easy. When the temp light shuts off the idle drops (but will keep running). If you give it much throttle it will stall. You can give it a little choke and start it again. You can even drive away with some choke. If I let it idle for 2-5 minutes after the light goes out you can drive away without choke. When idling there's an occasional but very inconsistent miss. I've driven it about 1000 miles like this. I thought I would clean the carbs myself and it would be fine. Should I be going to the dealer with this? I get the impression that some of you think this is how these sleds run normally. Mine has run this way since I got it.

Welcome to TY fastdve, I'm sure you will find the guys on this site helpfull without a lot of B.S. My suggestion with your sled is to take it to a quality dealer in your area to have the carbs cleaned(these things can be a P.I.T.A. if not done correctly) also let them check to see if you have a updated chain tensioner and the Donuts are in good shape. Put in fresh fuel and hopfuly you will be good to go. I say to go thu a dealer because if these things do not work,and you find you have the same issues as I, and others have had, I don't think Yamaha will be to willing to help you out if you have been doing all the wrenching. I think one of the reasons Yammi has stepped up to the plate to help me with my issues is that I was able to show them that ALL work done on the sled was done by one of thier dealers.

Roz. Thanks for the reply. I bought this sled used. I don't have any records of what was done or not. Is this going to be a problem? If this is some known manufacturing bug what difference would it make if I cleaned the carbs myself? I'm a bit older and have done most work on my sleds, cycles and boat motors myself when possible. I was also wondering if there's a possibility that this is just dirty carbs. It sounds like you paid for 3 carb cleanings before they even considered anything else.

The carbs is the place to start for sure, especially with the crappy fuel we are forced to buy. See the stickeys at the start of this forum on the chain- tensioner and donuts for more info on those common problems on your sled. My problems are far less common, but as you can see from the guys who have commented on this thread, I am not alone.With all the sleds driving around with this motor in it, chances are yours will be fine with regular maintenance.

Back