• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gas line anti-freeze

This is what I figured out as best as I could find. Most of the majors' premium have no ethanol with the exception of Petro-Canada's old Sunoco stations which has ethanol is all their grades. You can tell it's a previous Sunoco by the addition of an Ultra 94 octane pump. Other Petro-Canadas may have also switched to all ethanol but I don't usually get my gas there. Shell actually marks their pump's ethanol content (reg:10%, mid:5% prem:0%). I haven't tested Pioneer but I do believe their ethanol content to follow the rest but their regular had the worst mileage in my experience.

I had become very interested in ethanol when I blew the three Doo engines and bought a test kit to find out the ethanol content. I should start up testing again. It is easy to make your own kit using a graduated test tube. If anyone is interested, I can find the exact instructions.

I was looking at getting one of the testers but never got around to it. My local marine mechanic tested my gas in my outboard this summer when I was having issues. It tested to be around the 10% mark. And that was using MacEwens Premium gas. That is who told me to go to these other stations to get my premium. It looked to be a simple test tube test like you mentioned mooseman.

sleddog66 said:
Has anyone heard of/or had experience with k100. Thinking of adding that product to the test mix??

I have seen and used k100.
saw a guy do some sort of test with it 2years ago. not too sure on the specifics and i cant really remember exactly how it went but he added like 1 oz of k100 to a cup then filled the cup with water and burnt the whole cup of water by lighting it with a match.
i just happened to walk in on it while the distributor was doing a demo for a dealer.
kind of odd to watch. and just cause it burned it didn't mean it was actually good to burn in the motor but he gave us a sample and we used it. I didn't have any problems and didn't see any noticable difference when we used it. too expensive for me to be willing to use long term

Ok, I also added 2 products to my test back a couple months ago. "mechanic in a bottle", and "ethenol sheild". These 2 products did not do any better than the others that I have to control phase seperation. Every product in my test has failed miserable to control phase seperation for even 5 minutes, let alone long term. As mentioned earlier, I did add a nail to every bottle to see what the corrosion factor was with these produts. I have gotton an interesting result, that I am not sure what this means. The jar with the stabil and marine grade stabil have very minimal corrosion/decay to the nail. The others all have a slight amount more, however, not very much still. The only exception to this was the jar with the "seafoam". That nail was nearly 1/2 eaten, and very corroded during the last 7 months or so.. My questions are,1. does this mean that a metel fuel tank will not be a good spot to put seafoam into?.2. Is seafoam just to harsh?, or is it just lacking anti-corrosive properties. I, like many others was always a big beleiver in the cleaning ability of seafoam, but now I wonder at what cost? It does stand to reason that the stabil jars are really only a stabilizer treatment, and are not marketed to clean in any way, but the others are marketed to clean, so as I see some corrilation between corrosion on the nail and the cleanning agent. Does this seem like a fair anylisis??

Oh ya, after I hear some replies/opinions on my finding, I will be trashing all the tests....tired of looking at the jars in my garage.

sleddog66 said:
Ok, I also added 2 products to my test back a couple months ago. "mechanic in a bottle", and "ethenol sheild". These 2 products did not do any better than the others that I have to control phase seperation. Every product in my test has failed miserable to control phase seperation for even 5 minutes, let alone long term. As mentioned earlier, I did add a nail to every bottle to see what the corrosion factor was with these produts. I have gotton an interesting result, that I am not sure what this means. The jar with the stabil and marine grade stabil have very minimal corrosion/decay to the nail. The others all have a slight amount more, however, not very much still. The only exception to this was the jar with the "seafoam". That nail was nearly 1/2 eaten, and very corroded during the last 7 months or so.. My questions are,1. does this mean that a metel fuel tank will not be a good spot to put seafoam into?.2. Is seafoam just to harsh?, or is it just lacking anti-corrosive properties. I, like many others was always a big beleiver in the cleaning ability of seafoam, but now I wonder at what cost? It does stand to reason that the stabil jars are really only a stabilizer treatment, and are not marketed to clean in any way, but the others are marketed to clean, so as I see some corrilation between corrosion on the nail and the cleanning agent. Does this seem like a fair anylisis??

I wouldn't be alarmed at the corrosion, as like you said, Sea Foam is a cleaner not just a stabilizer.

Personally, I think you can gather from this that Sea Foam is doing exactly what it was designed to do, stabilize and clean.
I don't believe Sea-Foam says or has ever said it would stop phase seperation that I know of where the others claim to and by your test you have proven they don't do diddly squat in that regard.

fuel

I don't think my 4 stroke is any different than my truck, or car, concerning maintenance.

Why would you treat a $12,000 sled better than your $40,000 truck?

Re: fuel

gun nut said:
I don't think my 4 stroke is any different than my truck, or car, concerning maintenance.

this is true to a point but the sled sits more and doesnt get run as much as your truck...

Re: fuel

yamaha1973 said:
gun nut said:

this is true to a point but the sled sits more and doesnt get run as much as your truck...
and if the truck dies you dont go to work (Boo Whoo) if the seld dies you dont go sledding :o| ;):D

Also most newer vehicals have a sealed fuel system that regulates venting through valving, while my sled is vented to the atmosphere, so in just absorbs moisture from the air.

fuel

16,000 miles. If the owners manual doesn't tell you to do it, It's not necessary. Same thing for spark plugs.

Back