• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SideWinder Gearing, Tracks and Drivers

Is that the 141 1.6 cobra or did it have more lug than that?
That was the 141" 1.6" cobra track - the sleds that have more lug than that like 2015 viper xtx le (had 141" 2.25" power claw track) used 7T drivers which reduce the top speed by roughly 10-12 mph compared to 8T. I am still questioning the validity of the 2017 sidewinder xtx le and btx le (both have 2.25" pc track) using 8T drivers as reported as the viper versions ran 7T with 2.25" track for clearance....

I am still questioning the validity of the 2017 sidewinder xtx le and btx le (both have 2.25" pc track) using 8T drivers as reported as the viper versions ran 7T with 2.25" track for clearance....

So how do we go about verifying this? @MrSled seems like he should have the sources on the inside, so I think it should be safe to believe what he has been told. The xtx le is on the top of my list, and I'm good with top speeds in the low 100's, but 90 really isn't going to cut it.

Can you speak to comparison in acceleration between the sleds that are geared down a little (xtx's) vs the ltx's with trail tracks - either based on your viper, or otherwise? If they can hook it up, I would think they would be a little quicker, at least up to a 100?

Last edited:
Well I had initially questioned the use of 9T drivers on the SW XTX SE (1.6") and BTX SE (1.75") as the viper counterparts (XTX SE 1.6") had used 8T drivers and after seeing a prototype BTX 1.75" with 8T on it and questioning it more we have since seen a revision of the specs from corporate - I still question the spec on 2.25" sleds but haven't gotten any solid validation on what's on them (working on that yet - maybe have an answer over the weekend) If they indeed do run 8T drivers and can do 100+ with a 2.25" lug....kinda crazy as I don't think camoplast really uses 100+ as a criteria for a mountain track...lol - the gearing spec on the 2.25" sleds is 24/50 so if they run 8T as currently listed they will be slightly slower on the top compared to a 1.6" version running 21/41 with 8T

Last edited:
Can you speak to comparison in acceleration between the sleds that are geared down a little (xtx's) vs the ltx's with trail tracks - either based on your viper, or otherwise? If they can hook it up, I would think they would be a little quicker, at least up to a 100?

Well the SW xtx se and ltx will have the same gearing (21/41) so the only difference will be driver size which will make the xtx slightly lower overall - acceleration wise I think they will be very close up to 100 with snow conditions/traction/hookup being the deciding factor.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="SRXracer, post: 1295194, member: 1791"

Well the SW xtx se and ltx will have the same gearing (21/41) so the only difference will be driver size which will make the xtx slightly lower overall - acceleration wise I think they will be very close up to 100 with snow conditions/traction/hookup being the deciding factor.[/QUOTE]

So you are saying the sleds that have the Power Claw track is the ones in question? All other gearing is good in your eyes? I will get to the bottom of this on the weekend show.

So you are saying the sleds that have the Power Claw track is the ones in question? All other gearing is good in your eyes? I will get to the bottom of this on the weekend show.
Yeah - the only units I still would like a hands on verification regarding the driver size are the SW 141 XTX LE and the SW BTX 153 LE with the 2.25" Power Claw tracks as the current listed spec is that they use a 8T driver.

In the past comparable Viper units running that 2.25" track size used a 7T driver - not sure if this was for clearance reasons? Being the SW XTX LE an BTX LE are calibrated for flatland use it is entirely possible they are running 8T as currently spec'ed - just would like clarification on this as the rest of the track lug height sizing follows the same driver sizing as the Viper line up.

Yeah - the only units I still would like a hands on verification regarding the driver size are the SW 141 XTX LE and the SW BTX 153 LE with the 2.25" Power Claw tracks as the current listed spec is that they use a 8T driver.

In the past comparable Viper units running that 2.25" track size used a 7T driver - not sure if this was for clearance reasons? Being the SW XTX LE an BTX LE are calibrated for flatland use it is entirely possible they are running 8T as currently spec'ed - just would like clarification on this as the rest of the track lug height sizing follows the same driver sizing as the Viper line up.

I just spoke with Yamaha and as its show in my first post the specs are 100% correct. 153-BTX and 141-XTX with the 2.25 Power Claw will have as stated 8 tooth drivers.

I just spoke with Yamaha and as its show in my first post the specs are 100% correct. 153-BTX and 141-XTX with the 2.25 Power Claw will have as stated 8 tooth drivers.
Cool - thanks for getting clarification - those are gonna be crazy cool sleds with tracks big enough for some serious offtrailing and yet the overall gearing to be just as respectably serious on the trail - yeehaw!

Last edited:
So how do we go about verifying this? @MrSled seems like he should have the sources on the inside, so I think it should be safe to believe what he has been told. The xtx le is on the top of my list, and I'm good with top speeds in the low 100's, but 90 really isn't going to cut it.

Did you watch any of the Yamaha vids when Yamaha took up at least 15 dealers to there demo rides,they had an air strip set up to run absolute top speed,and the ltx-le with 1.25 track in 137 length with 21/41 gears on 9 tooth drivers were all running 120 plus on gps,is that fast enough for you,now I don't know if they had any xtx-le's or what there gearing was,so unable to varifie,now these speeds came to me,from woody's Yamaha,as I know keith woods personally,and keith told me that 137 just plain rips,and has unreal top speed,and he has a lot of very fast turbo's and world records.

So what are the theoretical top speeds for each model now? I'm especially curious about the btx -se 153" x 1.75, 3.0 pitch track with 8 tooth driver VS. the XTX-137 with the 1.75, 2.86 , 9 tooth driver.

It takes some serious horsepower to run 120 mph+ with a 137 x 1.75 track and with 9 tooth 2.86 pitch drivers geared at 1.95:1[21-41] the sled needs to pull a full 10% overdrive at 8800 rpm. Loss of efficiency with overdrive consumes normally useable horsepower as well.
Speed is horsepower....in stock form...I will believe it when I see it.

It takes some serious horsepower to run 120 mph+ with a 137 x 1.75 track and with 9 tooth 2.86 pitch drivers geared at 1.95:1[21-41] the sled needs to pull a full 10% overdrive at 8800 rpm. Loss of efficiency with overdrive consumes normally useable horsepower as well.
Speed is horsepower....in stock form...I will believe it when I see it.
The sleds at the test strip all had 1.25 track lug height,it would be a lot slower than 122 with 1.75 lug height track that the xtx has,the sled mentioned was the LTX.LE not XTX hope this helps.

Back