• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SideWinder Gearing, Tracks and Drivers

Guys ulmers chart give 1.95 ratio at 9000 rpms with 41/21 at 124.6 funny how this is so close to actual gps speeds several test jockeys have seen with this 137x1.25 track on 2.86 pitch. ya 8750 is standard rpms,but we always have a plus or minus of rpms built into the clutch system,and keith woods did say the sled he was testing was reving right at 9000 rpms,so that is so very close to reality,but like stated,real world seld testing next year will dictate normal top speeds based on unit break in and stock unit real world HP, RPMS of sled that day tested,and of course track conditions,but these speeds on these preproduction units were on darn close to perfect snow conditions,and unstudded,so go figure,maybe we wont ever see those same speeds left all stock,but I bet they wont be far off.

@mnmsnowbeast, I have no doubt the ltx's will be the fastest over all. I was running my MPI viper this year over 110 pretty easy, and it doesn't have the gear that the SW will have, so I have no doubt it will run the 120 if delivered with the 204 hp. Fastest overall isn't really the information I am trying to my hands on, though.

xtx-le w/ 2.25": 24-50, 8t, 3.0 pitch: 104.9 mph at 8750
xtx-se w/ 1.75": 21-41, 8t, 3.0 pitch: 111.9 mph at 8750

I am more interested in which sled is quickest to 80 or 100, and even more interested in how the bigger tracks effect that quickness. Does it help, or hurt the 0-80 or 100 acceleration? It looks like I am going from the LTX viper to an SW XTX, and I'm ok with giving up top end, but I really hoping to no loose the bottom end, too. And, since i've never ridden a bigger track on a yamaha, or an XTX skid, the more info the better. @MrSled, if you or anyone else could get any additional intel on these sleds in this regard tomorrow at the show, I would much appreciate it!

To 80 its going to be the 2.25 on snow 6" deep or more for sure. More traction and lower gearing. Only issue is going to be keeping it under control!

Hi srxracer,my buddy had a nitro xtx w/1.75 track and was on hard pack most of the time,and with a normal 121 apex studded and his was not,he could only out pace me by 1-2 sleds and as quick as he did that I was passing him,last year we had same sleds apex xtx both with 1.25 track,mine 15 his 11 and his studded just down the middle,and he could again pull me by a couple sleds,but this time it took me a 1/2 mile to pull up to him and even begin to overtake him. I had a 136 06 attack and again my friends 06 apex gt would walk by me on extreme top end,but I would pull him to 100 mph,if you are in lose or mealy snow you will have the advantage on most any thing in same length track,but that bigger lug height will cost you some even to 100 in some cases,but you can always get it,and if its not what you really wanted trim it down some,at that height,you can stop at 1.5 and than stud,it or stop at 1.375 or even 1.25 if that was what it takes,and keep it geared stock so you now will have a rocket to 100.

anyone know if the sidewinder uses hyvo gears and chain?

anyone know if the sidewinder uses hyvo gears and chain?
Not sure of type, but here it is.
20160410_110530.jpg

Last edited:
Being I'm not a top speed guy, I'm thinking a 23/48 would be a blast on this rtx, or ltx+ in the trails. 21/41 after a reflash maybe. I want to feel the arm pull with a good 2-1 ratio. Using something stout like some Taylor gears. 120+Mph is fun on the lake, and certain rail beds, but beating your buddy in and out of the corners is where the bragging rights are in our group. Great you beat me on the lake, but why were you in the back of the line all day lol. That's how we roll......

Show me a fun 660, or 1000 ft race, not a Lake Gogebic race

Does anybody know how much overdrive these revised Yamaha clutches have? I spring checked a LTX 137 Sidewinder and I am interested in the gear ratio: speeds

Does anybody know how much overdrive these revised Yamaha clutches have? I spring checked a LTX 137 Sidewinder and I am interested in the gear ratio: speeds
I think it saids .91 OD

I was told chain is 15 wide hyvo. The dyno reports showed a peak of 204.1 hp @ 8850. Spinning at 8850 will get you 121.42 mph using .91 for overdrive, that is 2.86 pitch and 9t drivers.......Yamaha said these clutches are designed to pull a bit of overdrive so I think it's safe to say an LTX is geared for 121.42 using overdrive. 9000rpm equals 123.48 mph according to charts with .91 overdrive

Back