• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Getting rid of underhood corrosion.

Have not tried armor-all, but have a friend that swears by it also. He uses it on every surface of his Harley as a cleaner and protector. Ask any body man how durable this stuff is . Many a paint job has been ruined by armor-all runing out from under a weatherstrip. I use a product called "waterless car wash" on my bike and sled cowl that is very similar.
Should try it on the aluminum.

I find an old toothbrush (you do have an old toothbrush, right?) works really well to get the nuts bolts and nooks and crannies. Use Wd40 or whatever, for the "blooming" aluminum. Tip, do it to a sled you are getting rid of, makes it easier to sell. :) Read more dollars. RR

Once you get it off CRC sp-400 is the best corrosion preventer I have ever seen. I spray it on bare metal parts I boat ship to Singapore and since I have been using it no more customer complaints. I got mine at Grainger

silicone spray

Every spring I pull the air box , belt and pipe off all my sleds. I cover the carb intakes and exhaust manifold with a sandwich bag and and rubber band. Next I vacuum out the engine compartment and then give everything under the hood a good soaking with Gunk's Engine bright. 15 minutes later I pressure wash the entire sled ( I use the widest spray pattern and get close to everything except decals ). I let everthing dry for a day or two, grease the suspension and then spray an entire can of silicone spray to each sled, covering the engine compartment and both suspensions. Next I reinstall the airbox and pipe , cover the sleds and forget about them, except for the occasional start, for the next 9 months. My sleds look like new and one of them is 5 years old with 8000 miles on it.

This won't get rid of your corrosion, but if you do it every year you will never have any!!

For the corrosion and general clean up of the sled and especially for the engine area I use Orange Spray. This stuff works awesome on pretty much every part of the sled, but don't use it on the hood, if you get some on the hood just wipe it off asap. Also it works great on the seat, it will take off any scuff marks from saddle bags or your boots but it's not slippery like armour all.

I work at a boat company and we use a product designed by Boeing and produced here in Michigan. This stuff really works, most of our boats go to the ocean (Salt air corrosion) and still look great after years of use, most owners never reapply either! Actually if you look closely at the picture in the yamaha service manual they have repackaged the same stuff and sell it. The stuff is "Boeshield T-9" It leaves a little of a waxy residue after it dries but really protects the metal, The wax is alot easier to remove than the corrosion.

Amsoil Metal Protector. No destructive silicone. Bonds with metal and displaces water while preventing corrosion. Spray the whole damn engine compartment with it...once and awhile and you'll never have any corrosion. My '98 SRX700 looked like the day it was new under the hood the day :::sob::: I dropped it off at the dealer to go to it's new home.

What's the deal? The last time I mentioned WD40, I was barraged with negative remarks. Although it's the most used lube in the world, it was going to destroy everything it touched.

I agree with these positive comments. I think it's great.

How do you keep dirt from collecting on silicon, by the way.
Opps, I just read that silicone is destructive also.

I too applied the Amsoil metal protectant to everything under the hood except the clutches. Amsoil also has a heavy duty version of this product but it has a yellow waxy build up. I think an application a few times a year will go a long way.
From the sounds of storm's report, it is a good choice. :eek:

impalapower said:
Hey Tom, put that Armor All on the seat, its real slick!

I'd advice against Armor All for any use. In marketing terms...it is known as a "perpetual use" product....meaning that they include chemicals such as silicone and plasticisors that require you to use the product continuously if order to achieve the desired results. That way they sell more product.

Chap stick is the most notorious perpetual use product. They add alcohol to the formula so...much like Armor All...it works great right when you put it on...but then makes your lips (or seat, etc) feel worse (look worse) then if you had never used any to begin with. You then...of course need to apply more.

Go with the 303 Aerospace Protectant instead. No silicone. No plasticisers. Blocks 100% of UV rays. Expensive...but second to none for looks and protection. ;)!

Back