• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Getting rid of underhood corrosion.

Call me an idiot. I was new to sledding last year and had to have a sled. I bought an RX-1 last February. I trailered it on an open trailer with a cover and washed it after each ride. I let friends use it and they didn't even clean it. What I didn't do is take special care to open the cowl and wash around the engine. Now I see that there is tons of corrosion under the hood, especially on the steering shaft, bolts and small brackets. :( I guess I now understand that I can't treat it like my ATV's. Is there any special product or advice on how to remove this corrosion?

Friends don't let friends borrow their RX-1! I would always spray everything down with WD-40 after use. This year I'm trying silicon spray, WD burns off when you start the engine and also collects dirt. What kind of corrosion are you talking about, that white chalky crap?

Thanks for the help! Lots of white chalky stuff and lots of orange rust on brackets. Some aluminum corrosion. There's no way it could be made perfect without disassembly. Ordered a Mach Z this year. I felt the need to compare the ride. They should make a nice pair on the trailer.

Rolling, wet down out side first, then apply a wire wheel cleaner picked up at any auto parts store. don't let it sit very long like 15 seconds, and rinse. This will take off all of the white residue and rust off of any steel.

Attachments

• scan_001.jpg
    scan_001.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 91
man, a tear down and a turbo would have saved ya bout $6,000. you could install some mirrors in compare the ride. just kiddin. when is that z do in? heard that the clutch had to be reworked.

I don't know enough to compare and I know very little about sleds in general. The RX-1 was great till the end of the season when the bumps were bad. My back was killing me. I borrowed and rode a Renegade and while it wouldn't keep up on the smooth stuff I had much less pain riding it home. I had a Renegade on order and the dealer just called and offered an electric start MachZ instead. It's not in yet but someone backed out. I figured why not. I hope it rides as nice as the Rengade but based on what I see here, the track length has a lot to do with it.

Try WD40 and lots of rubbing with a cloth . You will get most of it off that way . If you spray d40 on every thing in the spring and then power wash it in the fall it will stay looking like new .

I had the same problem this spring..

I bought some WD-40 and sprayed the crap out of it and it took off most of the white stuff..

Move to "somewhere in that frozen wasteland north of the border" and sled out your back door. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: that will solve your problem. LOLOLOLOL

sledheadgeorge said:
Move to "somewhere in that frozen wasteland north of the border" and sled out your back door. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: that will solve your problem. LOLOLOLOL

Yep I carry my garage door remote with me so I can open and close the door as I leave and return. It great to sled from your garage.

corrosion

This will not remove corrosion but it will keep it out. It's called Bullfrog rust inhibitor it's a little yellow cup with double face tape on it, it is a vapor barrier. I have them under the hood of all my sleds and there is NO sign of corrosion or rust even on the exhaust. Restored SSR,77SRX and trail sleds look like new under the hood yet. They are sold at Lowes in the tool area and Sportsmans guide they make covers, gun sleeves and pads for the tool box. They also have sheets like 10x10 that guys have put inside their cars to keep the corrosion off their aluminum intakes and heads.

When I put the sled away I spray the engine down
heavily with engine storage spray that I used to fog the 2 stroke with. I remove belt and even spray clutches. Come fall I power wash and wipe down and do TLC with aluminum cleaner etc and the engine bay looks like new. This stuff leaves a good coating to prevent oxidation and even brightens aluminum when removed.

Back