• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Glad to be on a Yamaha !

And for gods sake, I'm not debating that Yamaha is a bad sled.

I own an old Yamaha and I know that machine is pure quality in more or less every part. But I also own a Cat and I know that machine is not so poor either (even if its a wonderful example of American engineering with part inch and part mm). Some parts on the Cat look like they bought it from 99cent store or something. What would I know. But still.... it work.

But even if I was drunk as hell I would never say that my Cat meet the building quality of my Yamaha. But I would still say that I would never buy a -98 SRX because it had a crappy crank.

pwa said:
kviper said:
Paw, You do not have to change track's and run high temp slide's to solve the slide wear problem on a Yamaha. Marginal snow wheel's in the proper area's and don't replace the hifax till you can get a 10 mm wrench over the edge of the slide, They will last thousand's of mile's. If you have very extreme condition's just run scratcher's and slide and over heating problem is gone and they are cheap. On our annual club ride (18 sled's in one group) we had very cold hard snow condition's. The only sled that had cooling issue's when we had to run along a road for a distance was a new 800 E-tec.

I ride with lots of different models and burning hifax is a typical Yamaha problem. Not because that the machine is poorly built. I have no ice scratchers on my cat. Never had a problem with burning hifax.

Why does the XTX? Because half clipped track (bad choice) IMO.

The overheating problem is not a Yamaha problem, I know lots of M's, Lynx and Doo's who have that problem. That was just an example of things you have to change and things that cost money.

I dont know about you but if I buy a Yamaha Nytro for real money they would have to include a full clip track and some high temp hifaxes for free or I would not buy it. Why buy a machine with a flaw.

Same if I would buy a Doo 800 e-tec... I would demand they geared it down and see so it doesnt blew very expensive belts (the belts are very expensive). But the belt problem seems to continue for the BRP guys.

I also think it is because their wheels are too small (in diameter)
When I replaced all my wheels out of my 08 Vector I noticed when I had it all assembled that it would barely move on the floor??
When I looked further, the very rear wheels were not even touching, it was the slides that were :o|

I have had the skid out of my XLT a few times and not once did I ever notice the slides dragging on the ground, it was always the wheels that were doing their job.

Attachments

• HPIM1156 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM1156 (Medium).JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 146
Irv said:
pwa said:
kviper said:
Paw, You do not have to change track's and run high temp slide's to solve the slide wear problem on a Yamaha. Marginal snow wheel's in the proper area's and don't replace the hifax till you can get a 10 mm wrench over the edge of the slide, They will last thousand's of mile's. If you have very extreme condition's just run scratcher's and slide and over heating problem is gone and they are cheap. On our annual club ride (18 sled's in one group) we had very cold hard snow condition's. The only sled that had cooling issue's when we had to run along a road for a distance was a new 800 E-tec.

I ride with lots of different models and burning hifax is a typical Yamaha problem. Not because that the machine is poorly built. I have no ice scratchers on my cat. Never had a problem with burning hifax.

Why does the XTX? Because half clipped track (bad choice) IMO.

The overheating problem is not a Yamaha problem, I know lots of M's, Lynx and Doo's who have that problem. That was just an example of things you have to change and things that cost money.

I dont know about you but if I buy a Yamaha Nytro for real money they would have to include a full clip track and some high temp hifaxes for free or I would not buy it. Why buy a machine with a flaw.

Same if I would buy a Doo 800 e-tec... I would demand they geared it down and see so it doesnt blew very expensive belts (the belts are very expensive). But the belt problem seems to continue for the BRP guys.

I also think it is because their wheels are too small (in diameter)
When I replaced all my wheels out of my 08 Vector I noticed when I had it all assembled that it would barely move on the floor??
When I looked further, the very rear wheels were not even touching, it was the slides that were :o|

I have had the skid out of my XLT a few times and not once did I ever notice the slides dragging on the ground, it was always the wheels that were doing their job.

Sounds logical to me!

You know its not just there sleds, its the cost of there parts. $120.00 for a Ski-Doo belt, what's it made of? $ 39.00 a gallon for injector oil, and thats bring your own jug.

It's funny that this thread is going on when there is a hot debate at DooTalk about the end of the two stroke. More than a few times, Yamaha was mentioned. Of course, reliability was there but saying our sleds are heavy and can't compete with the lighter two strokes.
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php ... 52928&st=0

Its funny to read this in the snowmobile forums/world.

The dirt bike industry already went through this back in 1998.

I personally watched Doug Henry kick everybodies asses on a works Yamaha 400cc four stroke at Washougal Washington outdoor motocross nationals.

That bike was way ahead of its time back then and in typical Yamaha fashion, they (the factory) saw the hand writing on the wall and led the movement away from two strokes.

The technology exists for four strokes to be light and fast. Back in the day no one believed a four stroke could ever be competitive in motocross...now they are all there is, they have become the new standard.

It just takes necessisity (read: EPA) to push the issue hard enough and there wont be enough band aids left to keep the two stroke competitive.

Then the really exotic, trick, and lightweight four stroke sleds will come on the market.

Mark my words, its only a matter of time and we will be in the mainstream...Ive already been through it on my dirt bikes.

I was four strokes in motocross when four strokes werent cool!! :yam:

^^^That is soooo true! If moto cross riders are believers, with the most agile, high-tech, quickest, lightest race machines on earth, what else do you need to be convinced? It's going 4 stroke folks! Not that you guys haven't figured that out already.

Vincenthdfan said:
Its funny to read this in the snowmobile forums/world.

The dirt bike industry already went through this back in 1998.

I personally watched Doug Henry kick everybodies asses on a works Yamaha 400cc four stroke at Washougal Washington outdoor motocross nationals.

That bike was way ahead of its time back then and in typical Yamaha fashion, they (the factory) saw the hand writing on the wall and led the movement away from two strokes.

The technology exists for four strokes to be light and fast. Back in the day no one believed a four stroke could ever be competitive in motocross...now they are all there is, they have become the new standard.

It just takes necessisity (read: EPA) to push the issue hard enough and there wont be enough band aids left to keep the two stroke competitive.

Then the really exotic, trick, and lightweight four stroke sleds will come on the market.

Mark my words, its only a matter of time and we will be in the mainstream...Ive already been through it on my dirt bikes.

I was four strokes in motocross when four strokes werent cool!! :yam:

Yepp, that is all true, I dont disagree with nothing there... but as long the lightweight four stroke isnt there I will drive 2-stroke.

You forgot to mention the calalytic converter. Think this going to put 2-stroke DI's in a bad place. Meaning then the 4-stroke will be clean as hell. Looking forward to see the AC M1100 Turbo in action. Dont know its weight but I hope they have done a nice job on that.

Back