• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Going back to 24/50 gears

yamamarc

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 zr9000 Ltd
I decided to try 21/38 gears this season just to compare with my stock gears!!!
21/38 did give higher top end number but I found it not as fun corner to corner then when running 24/50
I am done with top speed runs 118mph is plenty!!
also been debating on putt on a 1.5 track!
I think 24/50 with a 1.5 track would be a riot corner to corner

24/50 is the best combo honestly. I have those gears with a 1,75 track and the hook up is insane corner to corner. I got on my buddy's with a 1.25 and it just spins every where. Both of us are tuned at 260hp. You need a bigger track to put the power to the snow.

Ya Marc! I’m not tuned so that gearing is perfect for me for trail riding. That and the B/O sec spring it’s very responsive. I’ve seen 110 and I’m good with that.

Ya Marc! I’m not tuned so that gearing is perfect for me for trail riding. That and the B/O sec spring it’s very responsive. I’ve seen 110 and I’m good with that.
I really like my 24/50 last season just wanted to experiment with high gearing on a tuned application!!
As for trail riding and corner to corner fun 24/50 is the way to go imo!!!

This is a very interesting topic for me as well. I bought a set this year, but never put on as still running the 21/41 that came stock with my Stock Muffler Tuned Juke Box (Ecotrail, Powertrail, and MS16). With the trails I ride in Northern WI, they are pretty much tight twisties with some longer fast bends as well. Only time I get to really open it up is on the lakes. 114mph or whatever top end would be with 24/50 is plenty fast for me. I also have been running the Ice Storm 1.5 since day 1 and absolutely love the track. I have 4,000 miles on the track and it looks great. Definitely considering the 24/50 gears next season.

This is a very interesting topic for me as well. I bought a set this year, but never put on as still running the 21/41 that came stock with my Stock Muffler Tuned Juke Box (Ecotrail, Powertrail, and MS16). With the trails I ride in Northern WI, they are pretty much tight twisties with some longer fast bends as well. Only time I get to really open it up is on the lakes. 114mph or whatever top end would be with 24/50 is plenty fast for me. I also have been running the Ice Storm 1.5 since day 1 and absolutely love the track. I have 4,000 miles on the track and it looks great. Definitely considering the 24/50 gears next season.
Good.to know about the ice storm 1.5!! Is it studded? How many and what length if so?

Even on the big wide hwy trails 24/50 perform well!!
One of our riding buddies did the swap from his stock 21/41 to 24/50 with a 1.3 track and and he is like a jack rabbit..lol it jumps out fast

Last edited:
Good.to know about the ice storm 1.5!! Is it studded? How many and what length if so?

Nope. I don’t want to stud my tracks any longer, so I went with the prestudded tracks. All my buddies switched over to on their Ski-doo 900T’s which are tuned with the Ice Ripper XT 1.5” as well. We all understand we don’t get the traction as a fully studded track, but adds just enough if the corners are icy. I’ve been running this track for the last two years and I will not go back to fully studded a track. Just my personal preference.

Nope. I don’t want to stud my tracks any longer, so I went with the prestudded tracks. All my buddies switched over to on their Ski-doo 900T’s which are tuned with the Ice Ripper XT 1.5” as well. We all understand we don’t get the traction as a fully studded track, but adds just enough if the corners are icy. I’ve been running this track for the last two years and I will not go back to fully studded a track. Just my personal preference.
Thanks for your feedback!!
I think I may go with the storm 1.5 but without the lug studs and stud it using the pro lite double backers this time around

I thought I'd chime in and give my thoughts on the 24/50 gearing vs the 21/41 gearing.

I've got a '17 LT-X LE and my wife rides a '18 LT-X LE. Both sleds came with 21/41 gearing as stock. Both sleds are set up identically with the stock tune, Storm 150 tracks, and some clutching mods to lower engagement rpm. Running STM weights in the primary along with the Dalton B/O secondary spring in both.

I picked up a couple of sets of 24/50 gear sets and chains from a fellow TY member (Thanks Turboflash!) to try out this season. I've only installed the 24/50 gears in her sled so far. I've had a chance to drive both sleds back to back on one trip to the UP a few weeks ago to compare on the same day.

The 24/50 is my choice for the conditions that we ride in. After swapping sleds numerous times I will definitely say that the fun factor is greater with the 24/50 coming out of corners with noticeably more grunt. The motor also seems to be happier pulling out of the corners and I thought that the track hooked up better.

I just got back from a two day ride in Northern MN yesterday and rode her sled. The trails on this ride were a lot tighter and twisty than what we normally ride in the UP and were set up a lot firmer than the UP. I really liked the better response the sled had in these conditions with the 24/50 gearing. In the hard pack trails the sled would just seem to have endless pull and snap coming out of a corner and I could reel in the sled ahead of me in an instant.

When I do the year end maintenance on the sleds the first thing that I will be doing on my sled is to swap out the gears to the 24/50.

I thought I'd chime in and give my thoughts on the 24/50 gearing vs the 21/41 gearing.

I've got a '17 LT-X LE and my wife rides a '18 LT-X LE. Both sleds came with 21/41 gearing as stock. Both sleds are set up identically with the stock tune, Storm 150 tracks, and some clutching mods to lower engagement rpm. Running STM weights in the primary along with the Dalton B/O secondary spring in both.

I picked up a couple of sets of 24/50 gear sets and chains from a fellow TY member (Thanks Turboflash!) to try out this season. I've only installed the 24/50 gears in her sled so far. I've had a chance to drive both sleds back to back on one trip to the UP a few weeks ago to compare on the same day.

The 24/50 is my choice for the conditions that we ride in. After swapping sleds numerous times I will definitely say that the fun factor is greater with the 24/50 coming out of corners with noticeably more grunt. The motor also seems to be happier pulling out of the corners and I thought that the track hooked up better.

I just got back from a two day ride in Northern MN yesterday and rode her sled. The trails on this ride were a lot tighter and twisty than what we normally ride in the UP and were set up a lot firmer than the UP. I really liked the better response the sled had in these conditions with the 24/50 gearing. In the hard pack trails the sled would just seem to have endless pull and snap coming out of a corner and I could reel in the sled ahead of me in an instant.

When I do the year end maintenance on the sleds the first thing that I will be doing on my sled is to swap out the gears to the 24/50.
Nice write up!!! I 100% agree I ran my stock 24/50 with both sm tune bundle and pm tune bundle last season and it was a blast!! This season with 21/38 it just didn't have that corner to corner excitement I did with the 24/50!!
In the upper range of the rpm (mid to high) the 21/38 would start to shine but as a 100% trail guy I did not spend much time trying to run top speeds!!! big top end #'s are not for me anymore!! Especially after watching a friend roll and totalled his sled trying to max out his gears at the end of last season!!!

I agree that 24/50 is the best choice for most riding. I've been running 24/48, and it really isn't that often I have the opportunity to get my sled above 120-125.
24/50 is still good for 120. 24/50 is still more than enough to easily spank any 800/850 on top end.
The only time I would consider swapping to higher gears is the far northern Ontario trails, Quebec trails or for radar/speed runs.
I also like with the lower gears that the belt stays higher in the primary for average speed trail riding.

I decided to try 21/38 gears this season just to compare with my stock gears!!!
21/38 did give higher top end number but I found it not as fun corner to corner then when running 24/50
I am done with top speed runs 118mph is plenty!!
also been debating on putt on a 1.5 track!
I think 24/50 with a 1.5 track would be a riot corner to corner
118 mph? my stock srx with a 1.5" track does 115 try 21/41

I agree that 24/50 is the best choice for most riding. I've been running 24/48, and it really isn't that often I have the opportunity to get my sled above 120-125.
24/50 is still good for 120. 24/50 is still more than enough to easily spank any 800/850 on top end.
The only time I would consider swapping to higher gears is the far northern Ontario trails, Quebec trails or for radar/speed runs.
I also like with the lower gears that the belt stays higher in the primary for average speed trail riding.
Nitro even the far northern Ontario trail the 24/50 is sufficient...imo
We just did a 1700km 3 day run from my house (massey to wawa then dubreuilville, hornpayne, Cochrane smoothrock to timmins then timmins back home!! Two of the guys riding with us had 24/50 and 1 with 22/41 had no issue comparing to my 21/38 the whole group stayed together!!
While trail riding up there we did cruising speeds of 120 to 160km/h and he was leading the pack most of the trip. We did do some wot runs but would never get away from the group alway within a km!!
Imo 21/38 is a radar run gearing or someone who like to hold er wide open for long periods

Last edited:

Back