• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Going back to 24/50 gears

Man this is disappointing to hear because before the season started I had posted that I was about to install the 24/50 gears in my Winder for these exact reasons and most people said it will be really bad. Mostly because they said the Cat clutching is setup to take better advantage of the 24/50 and if you put that on a Winder it will not work well. Something about clutch ratio being different and it would not work with the Yam clutches so I sold the gear set I had bought new :(

Marc has a Cat so I don't thing its 100% exactly the same. I will try and find my thread.

Don’t be so quick to run a 24/50 on a yamaha. Cats slip the belt way worse down low and need to be geared down because they start in a higher ratio, and they also have more OD.

I’ve actually geared back up to 22/41 from the stock 21/41 with no decrease in performance. The lower gear I was just blowing the track away.

Proper clutch setup is what will make the sled perform like it should, the gearing really has no effect once the sled has begun moving and the belt is engaged, however it can mask a poor clutch setup.

Don’t be so quick to run a 24/50 on a yamaha. Cats slip the belt way worse down low and need to be geared down because they start in a higher ratio, and they also have more OD.

I’ve actually geared back up to 22/41 from the stock 21/41 with no decrease in performance. The lower gear I was just blowing the track away.

Proper clutch setup is what will make the sled perform like it should, the gearing really has no effect once the sled has begun moving and the belt is engaged, however it can mask a poor clutch setup.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

I run all cats
Every one of them perform better gearing up from 24 50 imo
It works but i would rather have the stock 21 41 Yamaha setup

All of these recent comments are why I didn't do it lol yet some claim it's better. If I changed to a 1.5" track would it be better with the 24/50? (I went from 21/41 to 22/41 that's what I ran this season, still pulls really hard, unsure on top speed I hit 190km/h or 118mph on speedo once in 5100km I'm not a top speed guy)

How was 22/41 riding slow in twistys , as far as belt grab?

It’s noticeable on a stock sled jumping from one to another big time.
I feel the same Andy!!!
My other riding buddy running 22/41 is talking about swapping the 24/50 after a season of riding with his nephew's winder with 24/50.
Next season all 4 of us will be running 24/50 on our tuned sleds

All of these recent comments are why I didn't do it lol yet some claim it's better. If I changed to a 1.5" track would it be better with the 24/50? (I went from 21/41 to 22/41 that's what I ran this season, still pulls really hard, unsure on top speed I hit 190km/h or 118mph on speedo once in 5100km I'm not a top speed guy)

JayM only way to know is to try it;)
Knapp what was your biggest complaint when you ran 24/50gears on the trails?

Last edited:
I feel the same Andy!!!
My other riding buddy running 22/41 is talking about swapping the 24/50 after a season of riding with his nephew's winder with 24/50.
Next season all 4 of us will be running 24/50 on our tuned sleds

I’m one of them after riding all sleds in are group I must say the 24/50 with the 1.325 track is fun in trails. Gets up goes like a jackrabbit and still hits 119mph on lake. I had 21/41 worked good 22/41 worked good topped both out on lake runs 127mph and 132 mph. I’m steering away from high mph runs need change so 24/50 and track swap next season.

Back