• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GoPro video of Viper ride

2008 Nytro RTX said:
That would suck if the Nytro was faster on top cuz the Nytro is not fast its very quick. I thought thats what you meant thats why I was confused,I know the Viper will out handle and outride the Nytro like no ones business. Which like i keep saying in my opinion will put it on par with the Xp

Nytro XTX are animals on top!! see my youtube link below

Both,The first part is the XTX and I switched to the shorty on the way back

yzm450 said:
.... Yamaha guys said they were still working on mapping

I call BS on this....Yamaha guys don't know sh1t from shinola.

Working on Mapping??!! These are as good as it gets. You really think it takes months to get it right??!! Should take an hour.

:die Yamaha DEMO guys.

The 141 hooked up well and would lift the skis ,the 129 not so much. The trail was too smooth and we were going too slow to get a real feel for the difference.

87gtNOS said:
yzm450 said:
.... Yamaha guys said they were still working on mapping

I call BS on this....Yamaha guys don't know sh1t from shinola.

Working on Mapping??!! These are as good as it gets. You really think it takes months to get it right??!! Should take an hour.

:die Yamaha DEMO guys.

They told me the same thing at the Snodeo in Colebrook, NH. Hand built prototypes.

I went on the cat demo ride on friday. I rode a 7000 El Tigre. It was poping and lightly backfiring every time i backed off the gas. It sounded like a sport bike that wasn't properly jetted. Other than that it ran good. It also had that awesome sound.

yzm450 said:
And it sounds awesome!

I also test rode the 129" and 144" at Waldoch Sports and I agree with you that the 144" ran better and hooked up much better. However I couldn't disagree with you more on the sound. It sounded (and performed) like I would imagine my Apex sounding (and performing) with one spark plug disconnected! They are awesome handling sleds but way under powered IMO.

They also told me that the clutching and fuel calibrations were still being worked on. I also call BS on that. Come on, Yamaha can not figure these things out before letting the public test drive them? To me that shows a serious lack of R&D ability and poor marketing skills! How long have they had to get this right? If they couldn't get it right in the year or more prior to this what makes you think that they will get it right before production starts in a few short months?

This sled looks awesome I am excited about the rider forward position and taller seat position I feel cramped on long rides with my Apex. I love my Apex I love the motor but on beat up trails it does not perform I either want a new Apex with Fox Floats or the Viper. I am certain a Viper will handle the bumps better but I am worried I'll miss the power of the 150 rocket ship between my legs. I know mods will help but I don't want to spend 15grand on a new sled to have to drop 2 grand to make it the way I want it. Then again i don't to buy a new Apex just to get the same as what I have now. Maybe buy a Viper ride it a season or 2 then trade back to an Apex if I am not impressed. I am really undecided here but a dealer show in 3 weeks may help change my mind completely.

You want to have a sled that handles and goes like stink, try an XF800. Not #*$&@ stirring here, I also own an Apex. My Apex has it on the big end, but the XF is nutzo on the trails and off trail. A LOT lighter than the Viper.

I love how they say they are 'working' on the final calibrations. Slang for this is as good as it gets hopefully they still buy one?

Ulmer tuned my SC apex on a dyno both fuel and clutching in about 8 runs. Thing has never run better. Yamaha should take all the vipers to him to tune haha

I hate the big disconnect between marketing and engineering. IMO the engineers should be at every demp ride and if there needs to be a 'change' made they should make it abiout 1 hr before everyone shows up to ride it! If anything sneak a 160hp motor in there 'just for the demo' to really get people going not the opposite....

kinger said:
I love how they say they are 'working' on the final calibrations. Slang for this is as good as it gets hopefully they still buy one?
Exactly...!

This is like a racecar driver saying "we collected a lot of valuable data" in the post race interview. This usually means "I did shite, we are totally lost and we have got no clue why...".

the trails I ride around here I get to 160-170 km/h with my Apex never really topped it out on trails not enough room. I was told that the Viper will run side by side with an Apex until 160km/h then Apex will pull away on top. This makes me think twice, either i get a traded in low mileage Apex SE or order a Viper XTX and put some money into it like clutching and such. I love my Apex and I love the motor and pull but it sucks in the rough stuff and 3 times this year on big rides I've run into beat up trails and hated it. This Viper looks very interesting I think new Viper with extended warranty is the way to go. I'll know more in 2 weeks when I go to a dealer show and sit on both Machines and ask questions. How is the Nytro for speed? The motor alright or is it a big step down from the Apex?

Back