• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

got my timbersled rear skid

skidooboy

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
:bling :4STroke: :jump: :-o :tg:

just gotta put it together now. one thing i did notice, i am missing the lightweight drop brackets that are required for the nytro per the instructions. they show on timbersleds website that the brackets come with the kit. and several others have said they rec'd theirs with their kit.

i have a call into allen at timbersled, and a pm to the shop i purchased it from, waiting to hear what is up. had to wait 6 weeks to get the kit due to timbersleds being out of fox floats for the rear.

if everything goes well, i'll order the front kit as well, and keep the diet going on the mtx. i would love to take 80-100 pounds off the sled by the time the snow flies. hoping the seat and exhaust people will come up with a storage seat, tunnel block off, and under tunnel exhaust kit for more storage and weight savings as well as a little performance boost.

are the powers that be listening out there? build it and we will come.

has anyone tried running the roost guards on the rear shocks? figure it may help with sand, and debris hitting the shock bodies, but didnt know if it would work to put them on the rear. ski

I'm also picking up my mtn tamer system and will post pics of the install on the mod shop thread. I'm also going to add in Avid drivers, a new track, and will attempt to come up with an exhaust solution. I'm thinking of running the exhaust out the back end, maybe by the snow flap. I'll use the seat compartment area then for storage and mount a gas can on the back.

Also have a modded gas tank in production for accommodating the turbo and still adding higher volume. Look for my posts later this summer on that project.

Oh, and clutching is also an issue. I've got some ideas there too.

ttabs, tell me you have a good relationship with allen????

i figured out what happend. i got the apex, vector old nytro kit. not the 08fx nytro kit i had ordered. :o| :o| :o| :o| :o| :o| :o| :die :drink:

i really hope i can work something out with these guys and not be out anymore money or time than i already am. i ordered this kit april 18th, it just showed up thursday may 29th. (6 weeks later).

i know it isnt allens fault, he was waiting on shocks from fox from what my vendor told me. i dont know if my vendor ordered the wrong kit or it timbersled sent the wrong one. i personally should have, and would rather deal direct with timbersled on this but, live and learn.

i have an email into my vendor, and a call into allen on the problem. if you have any insight please let me know.

also on the exhaust thing, are you doing one for turboed or non turbo sleds? i am boostless. LOL! ski

If your 'vendor' has screwed things up on your order, call Allan directly. You may be surprised to know that the kit that fits the Nytro, also fits the Rev and the new XP. So, the kit you have may also be the same kit I'm about to pick up for my Nytro.

My exhaust mod is for the Turbo sys. Any back pressure needed for the engine is provided by the turbo. Therefore, any exhaust beyond the turbo unit just needs to be dumped. I can be pretty creative as to where I can go with it.

sledskiing said:
My goal is to make it super quiet.

You mind sharing your thoughts on this? I got an N/A nytro and have been thinking about options for an exhaust, but my concerns are price and sound. Looking for cheap and quiet... seems to be the oxymoron of the motorsports industry....

Thanks

called allen got it figured out. was awesome to talk to him direct.

asked him about a non boosted under tail exhaust he said there is someone in the process of making them now and they should be available soon. be pacient and we should get somewhere with our wish. ski

ttabs said:
If your 'vendor' has screwed things up on your order, call Allan directly. You may be surprised to know that the kit that fits the Nytro, also fits the Rev and the new XP. So, the kit you have may also be the same kit I'm about to pick up for my Nytro.

My exhaust mod is for the Turbo sys. Any back pressure needed for the engine is provided by the turbo. Therefore, any exhaust beyond the turbo unit just needs to be dumped. I can be pretty creative as to where I can go with it.

What do you think about a tunnel dump, ttabs?

I dump my exhaust in the tunnel, so do the guys I ride with.

rfabro said:
What do you think about a tunnel dump, ttabs?
From what I've read, dumping inside the tunnel seems to be a less desirable idea particularly in heavy snow conditions. The two reports I've read said it definitely effected performance and was related to snow conditions. Also, you'd have to damper the exhaust exit area to prevent snow and water from running back into the turbo. I've seen one exhaust dump design in particular that looks interesting but I'm still skeptical of the tunnel dump idea.

If you can get the exhaust to dump outside the tunnel, that would be the cleanest effect. I think that going through the seat though wastes all that space that can be used for storage. So, I'm going to play around with the idea of routing the exhaust out the back tunnel extension and mod up the seat compartment for storage.

I've ran with a tunnel dump for years and have not noticed any ill effects in performance and I ride in deep powder alot. You do have to be aware of where and how you dump the exhaust but for the most part there is no disadvantage in my opinion. It really reduces the noise also. The fastest 4-stroke at fairview this year had a tunnel dump.

Yeah, there was some heated arguments in the turbo section about this subject. I think the thing that would be the wierdest for me with a tunnel dump, is the exhaust sounding different depending on the snow hitting it.

Woodsrider, do you point the exhaust forward to blow with the track direction?

Why not have the muffler under the tunnel, then dump the exhaust using a y - pipe to both sides of the tunnel?

Yes, on my Nytro I have the exhaust tip pointing toward the front of the sled. On my Vector Rear mount it pointed down into the tunnel through the tunnel extension. Both methods have worked well for me. If you were drag racing and were concerned with getting every pony out of your engine then this might be a factor. From my sleds and the others I have been around you really can't notice much of a performance loss.

Edit: Personally i don't feel a turboed sled needs a muffler the Turbo deadens the sound substantially.

woodsrider said:
Edit: Personally i don't feel a turboed sled needs a muffler the Turbo deadens the sound substantially.

I dunno, my mid mount is plenty loud, no muffler.
~3-4" down-pipe from turbo to tunnel is about all there is.

I wear ear plugs, but its definately not the annoying (almost piercing) sound that a 2 stroke has at WoT..

But like you said, its a personal thing, my ears are sensative...others aren't so much so.

Back