• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GROUND WIRE SERVICE RECALL ? 07-09

Thanks, Cannondale, I had saw the picture but was hoping someone actually had a pic of the heat damage.

I don't have that connector but I'll keep an eye on the area.

I know there was some talk about there being multiple ground wires if the harness is of the updated design, I have two large gauge (around 8 gauge I guess) ground wires, if that means anything.

Anybody happen to know the part number. I don't want to drive 3 hours to a dealer to have this replaced if I can order the updated part myself and install it. Or is there a way I can fix this in a DIY way.

Can anyone confirm that this a 07 update only or are the 08's and later canidates?

Anyone have the bulletin # - had this issue on one of the sleds - no start - and dealer fixed but charged $162.73 ($5.20 parts + $ $133.80 labour + $18.72 tax)!

Thanks.

Its S2009-008. If you PM me your email address I will send the bulletin to you. Its approx 4 MB in size.

Raising an old thread.

My 2008 RTX (bought used in Dec 2011) had this failure back in Jan this year. Took it to the dealer and it was fixed but no mention of it being covered under recall/TSB.

Does anyone know if these items only apply to original owner? I would assume its covered no matter how many owners, especially the safety items.

I will have to get the dealer to gheck my VIN for any other updates.

Thanks for any feedback

Only recalls are covered this was a tech bulletin that may have expired by now but it never hurts to try.Ask dealer to get repair covered and if that fails call Yamaha customer service.I would think you have a good chance of getting it covered since those with bad ones sure looked melted and burned to me.

Directly from the bulletin:

Service of all affected units is authorized regardless of warranty status.
To receive credit for parts and labor, select 090UX from the Problem Code pull down menu in the Yamaha Dealer System (YDS). If submitting a paper warranty claim, use Problem Code 90UX. The labor allowance for this modification is 0.3 hour.
Tag and hold any replaced parts for 90 days from the date of request.

So go ahead, it's covered ;)!

I have same problem now!

Hi all. I live in Japan. I have same code 81/43 problem on my 07 Phazer last Sunday.
She is staying on the mountain now, and I will go to fix it next Sunday.
I have to carry all I need to repair the burnt connector at the site, but I didn't see it so can't imagine that connector area.

cannondale27 wrote the Part number: 90891-50154-00. I found its picture at ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-YAMAHA-RPZ5 ... 0789124609
SUB-HARNESS-KIT has yellow and black something.
What's this black something?
0003201_2M.jpg

0003201M.jpg

Anyway I could not get it right now.
What should I bring to the mountain? Wire with battery tab? Insulation tape? what else?

Thanx in advance.

You will need:

-Allen key to get side cover off
-Phillips screwdriver for battery terminal
-a very small flat head screw drive to remove the pins from the grounding block.
-Electrical tape to wrap it all back up

Don't think there would be anything else.

That black thing is a new ground block connector. I believe they split the load from the single yellow connector to this other one which also connects directly to the battery negative terminal.

Maybe add a knife to cut the tape from the existing harness. It's a fairly simple repair. Do you have a copy of the bulletin explaining it?

Back