• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Handlebar Warmer problem solved!

Does any one know if the OEM heaters can be removed and reused on a new set of handle bards. OR are we stuck getting new ones(heaters). Just trying to figure out how to use the "in the bar heaters. Not sure they will go past the hook ends on the factory bars.

I did basically the same thing on my 03 RX1 in 04.
I just tapped into the headlight feed.
Sled has 14000+ miles, with no issues.
I used a high low switch and wired the low side to complete the original hand warmer circiut. That way with the new switch set to low the hand warmers worked like normal.
If the switch was set to high it supplied regulated line voltage (13.5 V NOM) to the grips.
As for the error code: if you used the original rocker switch and turned the warmers off before switching the new switch it will not trigger the error code.
Had plans to do this on the Apex, but the 06 bars in parallel was so darn easy I went that route.

MrSled said:
I am working on a solution and its pretty cheap to do...

Please let us know A.S.A.P. :drink: :exc: I'm at a point that I really don't know what TO DO! I've been reading TONS of post with no real or posetive results...you know "if you do this it MIGHT do or tend to FRY that" bla bla bla...

Is this something in conjunction with YAMAHA? 'cause I'm not to crazy to MOD and end up frigging something up and voiding WARRANTY thanks in advance.

apltx08 said:
MrSled said:

Please let us know A.S.A.P. :drink: :exc: I'm at a point that I really don't know what TO DO! I've been reading TONS of post with no real or posetive results...you know "if you do this it MIGHT do or tend to FRY that" bla bla bla...

Is this something in conjunction with YAMAHA? 'cause I'm not to crazy to MOD and end up frigging something up and voiding WARRANTY thanks in advance.

That's why you get the MIGHT and FRY and other unknowns. I for one, don't want to claim a fix, then have a few hundred sleds burning things up, that would not be covered.

I am installing the RSI hi power grip heaters on both my Nytro and Phazer and should be able to try them by next weekend and will report on the results.

I can tell you what Nelson Speed shop is doing. They careful remove the old grip, add a cork spacer under the stock heating element and put a new doo grip over the top. The doo grip is bigger to allow it to slip over the cork spacer and element... I am going to try this over the next week so I will let others know. It look like the cork and new grip is around $25....

Based on the feedback I have heard this is a cheap fix that works really really well.

MrSled said:
I can tell you what Nelson Speed shop is doing. They careful remove the old grip, add a cork spacer under the stock heating element and put a new doo grip over the top. The doo grip is bigger to allow it to slip over the cork spacer and element... I am going to try this over the next week so I will let others know. It look like the cork and new grip is around $25....

Based on the feedback I have heard this is a cheap fix that works really really well.

Keep us posted on that one for sure.

What frustrates me the most is WHY isn't YAM not stepping up to the PLATE...HANDWARMER post's are the MOST visited ones in all sled models doesn't that tell them that their's a BIGGGG!!! problem and they just sit back and tell us that everything is OK!!! :o| :o| :o|

LJ 452 said:
apltx08 said:
MrSled said:

That's why you get the MIGHT and FRY and other unknowns. I for one, don't want to claim a fix, then have a few hundred sleds burning things up, that would not be covered.

LJ 452, That's exactly how I feel. I know what I have done adds heat as tested with clamp on thermometer but I would hate to recommend it as a fix or a solve all for this reason.

apltx08 said:
What frustrates me the most is WHY isn't YAM not stepping up to the PLATE...HANDWARMER post's are the MOST visited ones in all sled models doesn't that tell them that their's a BIGGGG!!! problem and they just sit back and tell us that everything is OK!!! :o| :o| :o|

This little fix is a patent held by doo I am sure is why Yamaha has not done this yet. That doesnt mean that we can buy the parts and do it to out sled.

We had GOOD handwarmers on our RX1's from '03 to '05 so why now do we have to freeze our hands and be told that everything is OK and WHY should I/WE have to spend more $$$ for a sled thats the BMW of all to get SOME decent HANDWARMERS...

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone but I've been tossed and turned by different YAM dealers and reps and told that handwarmers are performing like they should but everybody is COMPLANING! all this said hopefully MrSled can throw some weight around for me and some of us...I'm at a DEAD END!

apltx08 said:
We had GOOD handwarmers on our RX1's from '03 to '05 so why now do we have to freeze our hands and be told that everything is OK and WHY should I/WE have to spend more $$$ for a sled thats the BMW of all to get SOME decent HANDWARMERS...

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone but I've been tossed and turned by different YAM dealers and reps and told that handwarmers are performing like they should but everybody is COMPLANING! all this said hopefully MrSled can throw some weight around for me and some of us...I'm at a DEAD END!

I feel your pain as well ! Had my sled to the dealer last season a couple times for testing on the handwarmers, called Yamaha Canada and complained, filled out papers and sent them to Yamaha Canada on top of everything, and STILL my handwarmer issue has not been solved. :o| Bad enough they don't operate properly, but my dealer is almost 100 miles away, and who has to pay for that ? Thank God that at least the price of gas has gone down... #$%&*

Back