• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Has anyone here run into issues from flashing?

I have been wrestling with this decision also. It seems to me that the Hurricane 240 quick spool with their trail muffler is a fit for me. Anyone else run this combo?
My only reservation is that I purchased the YES extended warranty and a flash probably voids the whole thing.

Seriously thinking about tuning mine now too.

1361 miles on my 18 this season stock(except for Dalton helix and secondary spring). Love the sled. Thinking TD Powertrail and Superquiet muffler if I decide to go the flash route?? Got a long spring and summer to decide lol.
That is an awesome combo - 100% proven over and over and plenty fast.

I have been wrestling with this decision also. It seems to me that the Hurricane 240 quick spool with their trail muffler is a fit for me. Anyone else run this combo?
My only reservation is that I purchased the YES extended warranty and a flash probably voids the whole thing.
It will only void the warranty for a failure related to the flash, so something like a piston or head gasket. But the YES is still intact for the drivetrain and other items. Depends a lot on your dealer too. I have 5 years of YES on my new '18 and have zero hesitation about running TD tunes from day 1. In fact, it's already flashed with MaxSpool16, just sitting there, looking at me, longing for Winter.

IMG_5199.jpg

I put the TD Powertrail tune on my '17 LTX DX before ever riding it stock. Later in the season I tuned up to Max Spool 17. Zero issues with either tune. My dealer that I have bought a dozen new Yamaha's from over the years knows that I tuned it up. He said that he would help me out with an engine warranty issue if needed during my YES but he is so confident in this engine and with TD tunes that he doubts that we will ever need to have that discussion.

Art, I know the feeling of having to look at your sled all summer. I have four on display in my garage but I made sure to put the Sidewinder on the end for the best view! I took the summer toys down from the storage loft and now it is time to enjoy those for awhile before the water freezes again in a few months. LOL! Winter will be here before you know it!

Last edited:
I feel so..............stock!
I feel like the last kid to be picked for kickball during recess.
Since CT boy Rnsr01 is tuned & now Winterwolf may tune, i don't want to be the only _ussy in CT with a "slow" Sidewinder.

I may need some overtime soon!

Great combo. The only problem is, if you get the family of tunes and you try more boost than the 240 it's just too hard to give up the power! You say 240 would "fit" you until you try 270!

For those of you who are thinking just one flash instead of a bundle.

I started out with the Ecotrail with Mod Stock Muffler. I was always wondering if it was any more then stock power wise, so I was always looking for a stock winder to compare with. Found some on the trail, but found out not everyone needs more power then what stock offers, and they were not up to racing just cruising.

Tried comparing it to my buds Apex which I had raced many times when stock, but hard telling because it pulled away from his in stock form anyways!!

Talked to my dealer about an upgrade flash, and he pointed out the Max Spool 16 which was his choice for next years SRX and Winders. Just a tune while maintaining the stock muffler and of course a change of clutch weights for the primary, and a different helix for the secondary. Not sure if machining clutches will be part of next years package, but you get my point. Cheap tune for lot’s of added hp.

Once they added that flash, there was no doubt about extra hp added.

This thing just plain rocks. Pulls much harder, and numbers on the speedo are much higher then what Eco trail offered.

I mean seat of the pants dyno difference is very very noticeable, Period!

Moral to my story: Do the Max Spool 16 sm right away, if you are staying with stock muffler.

Last edited:
For those of you who are thinking just one flash instead of a bundle.

I started out with the Ecotrail with Mod Stock Muffler. I was always wondering if it was any more then stock power wise, so I was always looking for a stock winder to compare with. Found some on the trail, but found out not everyone needs more power then what stock offers, and they were not up to racing just cruising.

Tried comparing it to my buds Apex which I had raced many times when stock, but hard telling because it pulled away from his in stock form anyways!!

Talked to my dealer about an upgrade flash, and he pointed out the Max Spool 16 which was his choice for next years SRX and Winders. Just a tune while maintaining the stock muffler and of course a change of clutch weights for the primary, and a different helix for the secondary. Not sure if machining clutches will be part of next years package, but you get my point. Cheap tune for lot’s of added hp.

Once they added that flash, there was no doubt about extra hp added.

This thing just plain rocks. Pulls much harder, and numbers on the speedo are much higher then what Eco trail offered.

I mean seat of the pants dyno difference is very very noticeable, Period!

Moral to my story: Do the Max Spool 16 smm right away, if you are staying with stock muffler.
Is max spool 16 the same as power trail? if not please explain.

Thx

Is max spool 16 the same as power trail? if not please explain.

Thx

TD has 3 Stock muffler tunes, Eco trail, Power trail and Max Spool 16.
They progress in hp/boost in same order as above.
Max Spool 16 is advertised as their biggest hp gain for a stock muffler tune.
They may have more added by next season’s start though!

Can anybody tell me the difference in trail riding between Hurricane 240 r and the 270r at trail speeds not top end , like pull are they similar? Does IAT heat up quicker on 270r at trail speeds, say up to 60mph, or is the difference only at top end? I want to get a tune this coming year, one tune .

Can anybody tell me the difference in trail riding between Hurricane 240 r and the 270r at trail speeds not top end , like pull are they similar? Does IAT heat up quicker on 270r at trail speeds, say up to 60mph, or is the difference only at top end? I want to get a tune this coming year, one tune .

I personally didn't see the IAT elevate dramatically running the 270R tune, but I also never had any good long pulls. Barely had the room for a 1/4 mile pull. You won't see a difference on the trail.
The best way I could describe the difference in the tunes would be to simply put it;
stock: a bit lazy
240R: allot more snap
270R: beast mode
And this is with the Hurricane trail exhaust.

I never even tried 290R because honestly once I try it I probably would not want to go to a lower tune and I'd have to carry fuel additive with me all the time.

The higher you go up in tunes, the quicker and hotter the IAT's heat up. If the turbo is spooling harder, the temps are going to climb.

I'd suggest the bundle of tunes every time. You can do so much more with having the flasher and bundle that its worth it IMO.

Thanks guys, if you have the communicator do you need iPhone, or can you use a iPad to transfer tune from email, can you explain if I was to purchase the communicator how I would get the tune? I have iPad no computer and I have don't laugh a flip phone.

Thanks guys, if you have the communicator do you need iPhone, or can you use a iPad to transfer tune from email, can you explain if I was to purchase the communicator how I would get the tune? I have iPad no computer and I have don't laugh a flip phone.

iPad can control the flasher with the GAP app, but you'd need a PC to load the software to the flasher initially. You could go thru a tune dealer in your local area to program the flasher for initial use, then you can change the tunes thru the iPad itself. You really don't want to be locked in to just one tune IMO. No way to get updates or flash back to stock without paying more money to do so, no way to data log or see live data, no way to clear codes etc. The flasher is worth the price of admission.

Back