• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Header Heat Shield Failures??

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
Been getting requests for the header heat shields. With age they seem to crack and come apart. Yamaha updated them on newer models, but they seem quite pricey. Pretty sure I can offer better quality at a lower price, but just curious as to how many have had issues with them failing.

I am still on my original heat shields on my 2019 X-TX but I ordered a complete spare set to have in my spares parts...it took almost a year to get them with the parts supply issues.
If I knew you could supply them I would have been interested in sourcing them from you.

I had one crumble and fall apart. Since my sled is a 17 model this is the updated recalled heat shield. So I am on 3rd heat shield.

This one?
68941.jpeg

They are without a doubt prone to failure. I'm on my second just this season and its already coming apart. I've seen some of the original Stainless ones hang in there pretty good, Some updated Alum ones also. But for sure there has to be a better way than the factory is doing them.

Been getting requests for the header heat shields. With age they seem to crack and come apart. Yamaha updated them on newer models, but they seem quite pricey. Pretty sure I can offer better quality at a lower price, but just curious as to how many have had issues with them failing.
Mine failed last year on my 2017.

I have over 11,000mi on the one that came on my '17 RTX LE with a brand new updated one still in the box.

Running three headers. 2 TD Gen 2. 1 TD Gen 1. I've had two heat shields burn almost through in a penny-size spot if the shield rests on the header for any significant time. Haven't had any outright "fail" though, and I've cut/hammer/dolly them all to fit the header with space.

I'm on my third one and have it held together with foil tape. This one didn't last a weekend before it cracked. And they aren't cheap.

Travis, my failed 2 years ago. Another problem you likely know about is the flex pipe failing. When that happened to me, it burned a hole in the heat shield... and my gas tank! Was a less than ideal situation, i tell ya!

Brent

Just modify a Viper Heat shield and rivet it to stock header shield. The viper follows the same exhaust path and is solid aluminum instead of the tin foil they use on sidewinders. It needs to be modded slightly but works very well. There is a post somewhere here on forums showing pics of it, I did this to mine and its been flawless.

Back