• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

header / max boost ?

There is definitely an upgraded pump version of the tunes. Do you have that? I believe this covers the header issue because you can adjust the fuel pressure and a/f ratio to match the header's flow. Sounds like a good question for Ben/Mike!
I don’t think this is in question, yes this works. But a dedicated tune matched to header for guys trail riding at different throttle positions. WOT locked waist gate racing sure just raise pressure.

There is definitely an upgraded pump version of the tunes. Do you have that? I believe this covers the header issue because you can adjust the fuel pressure and a/f ratio to match the header's flow. Sounds like a good question for Ben/Mike!
yes I have , I had to adjust my fuel pressure from stock 43psi to 48psi to lower my a/f to be safe , yes the header flows more air , this all works great , very easy , the issue is the boost now , apparently you won't see over 17-18 psi boost , being that said max19 or max 20 is useless un less u lock your waste gate , ill be back on the snow this weekend and try it to see , let us no what u see at max 20 once u get a chance ?

yes I have , I had to adjust my fuel pressure from stock 43psi to 48psi to lower my a/f to be safe , yes the header flows more air , this all works great , very easy , the issue is the boost now , apparently you won't see over 17-18 psi boost , being that said max19 or max 20 is useless un less u lock your waste gate , ill be back on the snow this weekend and try it to see , let us no what u see at max 20 once u get a chance ?

Will do the same. Thanks.

Like many here, I find the topic of this post very intriguing. In the end inquiring minds want to know, is the header worth the investment?

What I find interesting is the descrepencies in added horsepower between tuners. One tuner claims more horsepower everywhere, but does not offer any numbers while another tuner claims a bump of 27hp with the addition of header. Most tuners seem to agree that the header makes things more efficient and allows the engine to make more power at less boost on lower octane.

The issue is the loss of boost which results from the installation of the header. My question is, "If the header causes a loss of 3lbs of boost, does the header add enough power to make up for that loss?" Let's say a pound of boost is 8hp and the header creates a loss of 3lbs of boost, this would net a loss of 24hp hypothetically spreaking. If the header makes 27hp like one tuner claims, then there is still gain of 3hp for $1000. Seems like a lot of coin for 3hp?

Am I looking at this correctly?

imo the header is worth the investment alone to get rid of the problematic flex joint that always cracks after 3-4000miles.

The header does make more power and spools up nice but iff we would be able to see our 20 lbs back on max 20 without shiming or locking waste gate that would be huge but I so not think its possible it has nothing to do with the tune itself it's all In the waste gate now and there is a stage 6 tune but only removes rev limiter as far as i know nothing for the header tune for max 20 yet but I'm sure ben is working on somethin

The header does make more power and spools up nice but iff we would be able to see our 20 lbs back on max 20 without shiming or locking waste gate that would be huge but I so not think its possible it has nothing to do with the tune itself it's all In the waste gate now and there is a stage 6 tune but only removes rev limiter as far as i know nothing for the header tune for max 20 yet but I'm sure ben is working on somethin
yes he is , stay tuned . lol

Sounds to me like the big tunes combined with a header and free flowing exhausts are starting to exceed the stock Turbos ability to keep up. I see a bigger turbo in your futures.

That’s exactly what is happening ^^^^

This I what happens when you add the header.
There’s more airflow through the turbo at a lower boost level. You can lock the wastegate but it probably won’t help more than a pound or two. Once the airflow is maxed out on a turbo, efficiency drops significantly and it begins to overspeed heating the air substantially, not good. This is common on smaller turbocharged vehicles, the boost will start dropping as rpm increases. Turbo is maxed out.
Airflow is what determines horsepower not boost level. Since the boost is actually lower your octane requirement is also lower, good thing.
Rest assured there’s more airflow with the header and its at a lower boost level, all good things imo.

There seems to be a lot of unanswered questions about using the TD header. I have Max Spool 16, using stock muffler and i have a header i also was worried about running lean. the lack of snow so far this winter has left me not being able to ride my sled with the header and too much time to think and question my $900 investment. i called TD and they told me on stock muffler Max 16 the engine runs much more efficent than with the stock manifold and on stock muffler it actually was running a touch richer than with the stock manifold? they told me not to worry and ride it. i was told on my tune 8-10 hp and a quicker spool and impressive to ride with header and stock muffler. i am going riding this weekend and will get some miles on so i will get some on the snow first hand compare with my girlfriends sidewinder with Max 16 and stock exhaust. i will report back next week after 4 days of riding. i will report the good or bad, not going to say its great if its not. wont be the first time i pissed $900 or more away to go backwards. got to love these money pits, i think i need my head examined!!!!

I was going to purchase a header and install on my sled this past fall and the tuner told me that he would not sell me one for trail riding.
They must have not had finished their testing on it at that time.

I was going to purchase a header and install on my sled this past fall and the tuner told me that he would not sell me one for trail riding.
They must have not had finished their testing on it at that time.

They were probably more worried about it cracking/longevity than performance.

There seems to be a lot of unanswered questions about using the TD header. I have Max Spool 16, using stock muffler and i have a header i also was worried about running lean. the lack of snow so far this winter has left me not being able to ride my sled with the header and too much time to think and question my $900 investment. i called TD and they told me on stock muffler Max 16 the engine runs much more efficent than with the stock manifold and on stock muffler it actually was running a touch richer than with the stock manifold? they told me not to worry and ride it. i was told on my tune 8-10 hp and a quicker spool and impressive to ride with header and stock muffler. i am going riding this weekend and will get some miles on so i will get some on the snow first hand compare with my girlfriends sidewinder with Max 16 and stock exhaust. i will report back next week after 4 days of riding. i will report the good or bad, not going to say its great if its not. wont be the first time i pissed $900 or more away to go backwards. got to love these money pits, i think i need my head examined!!!!

Running the stock muffler with the header is probably not gonna work so well, just sayin.

:drink:

They were probably more worried about it cracking/longevity than performance.

Running the stock muffler with the header is probably not gonna work so well, just sayin.

:drink:
In a few days i am going to find out, talking to TD guys who have seat time on Max 16 TD header and stock muffler they told me they were impressed how well the motor responded with header and stock muffler? they rode it and i bought on there feed back of what they found when they tested it. they want to sell parts and i was looking for a little more performance while staying quiet as stock. I would hope they would have told me the header is not the ticket with stock muffler if that was the case. Ha ha, i guess i will be the test pig to find out, worse case scenario i will have to spend more $$$ on quiet performance muffler and update my tune

Back