• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helmets

XIpyretta said:
After talking with the guys at 509 at the big east show I bought a helmet and aviators off them. I am still nervous about getting cold, after trying it on and how everything works with the goggles no skin is exposed except for the neck which i'll find some sort of fleece to wear i'm sure. What was holding me up is the moto seems fine when ridding from stop to stop on tug hill but when I go to Quebec its wide sweeping trails at 50+ mph, no stops for sometimes 70-100 miles, and temperatures below 0. I hope the combo works.

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe this combo will be your answer for being comfortable in Qubec. The open face style helmets and goggles are great for Tug Hill conditions but not designed for hi speed riding - Quebec style unless 509's can provide you with an ultimate seal between helmet and goggle. IMO, full face helmet with electric shield is still the answer for Quebec.

BADSLED said:
XIpyretta said:
After talking with the guys at 509 at the big east show I bought a helmet and aviators off them. I am still nervous about getting cold, after trying it on and how everything works with the goggles no skin is exposed except for the neck which i'll find some sort of fleece to wear i'm sure. What was holding me up is the moto seems fine when ridding from stop to stop on tug hill but when I go to Quebec its wide sweeping trails at 50+ mph, no stops for sometimes 70-100 miles, and temperatures below 0. I hope the combo works.

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe this combo will be your answer for being comfortable in Qubec. The open face style helmets and goggles are great for Tug Hill conditions but not designed for hi speed riding - Quebec style unless 509's can provide you with an ultimate seal between helmet and goggle. IMO, full face helmet with electric shield is still the answer for Quebec.

I ride in Northwestern Ontario with an off-road helmet and goggles. I do a lot of long lake runs, and some trails have extended sections that are run easily above 50Mph. I use a No-Fog Mask and MX Headband, it covers all small gaps on my forhead, nose & neck. I take this out in -30C (-20F) without any problems. I didn't have a No-Fog the year before, I froze my forhead once... and my neck another time.

Lightweight, visibility, mobility, style, a choice of goggles with different tints and fit... I even find the roost guard helpful at times. I'm happy with my Off-Road set-up, and I'd recommend the No-Fog Mask to anybody with concerns about cold weather riding.

The only way I'm going to find out is to try it, I have an HJC with electric shield i know works,(despite having to bring a bag of spare electric cord parts) if the 509 setup works then good, if it doesn't i'll sell it to some kid that rides on the hill all the time. When the guy explained the goggle helmet combo they build the helmet around the goggle, I put it on and the only thing i felt exposed was my neck. I will look Sunday for a no fog face mask to try on, thanks for the tip Carver.

I'm in Quebec, and i ride often at temperature of -22°F (-30°C). At first when i brought my Nytro, the only thing i thought i could wear was a BRP modular helmet and that is what i brought. It worked flawless although it is a pain to put on your head and the buttons of the detacheable mask are always torn. But for sure when going playing in the bumps and deep stuff that is not the king of helmet to use because of the lack of breathing. So i brought last year a Fox V3 and set of 509 sinister googles. I must say that if you want to be happy and comfortable with a set-up like this (Anykind of off-road helmet) at cold temperatures, you need to wear a really good balaclava. So after i got my new Unwind system Balaclava with breathable piece, God i really like this kit. This balaclava is so good that i could now even ride my Nytro with my old HJC full face helmet, and this was not possible without this balaclave. So this balaclava is cheap, and it is made world of difference. I will ride with the offroad helmet till approximately 0°F without any problems and feeling comfortable. But when i made trips like 150mi where we are going at high speeds, the full face will always be my choice. To finish, the Sinister googles are nice pieces, but i would like to try a set of Aviators to see how much the visibility is wider. Hope this will help.

BADSLED said:
XIpyretta said:

Most of our riding group here in Manitoba wear motoX style helmets. We consider 0*F warm.

I run a Thor Force helmet. I have tried HJC AC-X4 I think it was and that was good but By far the Thor is the best helmet I have owned. I have used smith and Oakley goggles but I will try 509 this year.

XIpyretta said:

Which model did you get? im going tomorrow. how were the prices?

Today I purchased the Kimpex CKX flat black modular helmet with the electric shield. The helmet fits well and looks great and from what I hear they work excellent in the extreme cold.

well i decided on the 509 helmet and goggles!!! great price and looks like everything is sealed very well should stay pretty warm. got a Klim balaclava too.

Attachments

• 509 helmet.jpg
    509 helmet.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 80
2008FxNytro said:
well i decided on the 509 helmet and goggles!!! great price and looks like everything is sealed very well should stay pretty warm. got a Klim balaclava too.

That's the exact same set my buddy got last year...he loved it! Nicest looking set I've seen.

2008FxNytro said:

Looks great! ;)!

revster said:
BADSLED said:
XIpyretta said:

Most of our riding group here in Manitoba wear motoX style helmets. We consider 0*F warm.

I associate Quebec trails with hi speed trail riding, at 65mph+ @ 0F. with open face helmet I could not wait to get back to camp to have a full face helmet on. I hope 509's allow for a better sealing edges, if that's the case it's a great set up.

2008FxNytro said:

The klim balaclava is great too. Only thing that makes my cheap off-road helmet usable in the winter. I would absolutely LOVE the 509 setup I think.

Back