• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help me pick which handguard for the new sidewinder

which one

• Total voters

I'm using an OEM mid height from my 2016 ZR7000. It looks just like the Thundercat Windshield. The guards fit with plenty of room

11096de25889e43844c290e5651fdff2.jpg
b500a584e35909ae3b138372e95d9bdf.jpg

Finally finished wiring my hand guards. Wow are the leds bright. As I had said I would, I wired them direct without a switch. I bought an auxiliary connector and ran the wires down to spare accessory connector by the right foot well so I didn't have to slice anything. I also ran my Garmin amps GPS mount power to this same terminal. I got fiberglass heat resistant wiring protector that I ran all wiring inside to protect from heat in this area and the results look factory. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Any questions let me know.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Didn't want the separate on off switch. Just wanted them on when sled came on and off when off. If I wasn't already using rocks power supply for my GPS I would have just ran them to a key'd line somewhere. Most likely the 12v accessory plug which is where rocks power supply plugs into. If I don't want them on easy as unplugging RCA jack. I have power supply running into my goggle bag.

I plan on doing my install this way as well, as it will be very easy to just unplug the RCA jack if you don't want them on. I've mounted my ROC power supply right behind the handlebar riser where it is very easy to access and I use it to power my iPhone, my GPS, soon to be Powermadd LED lights, and I still have one more RCA plug to come up with something else.....maybe a heated shield?

so heres what i did...tapped into accessory port with extension ...and another radio shack extension....ran it up into my heated handlebar bag bag (doo) with a three port splitter (cats)

wired the led's (after attaching the wiring harness with a spliced radio shack plug)

so everything is in my bag...heater...heated shield plug...and the led wiring...plus ...no cutting or drilling...everything comes on with the key..

IMG_7498.JPG
Got mine put on last night. Aside from managing to mangle the plastic where I installed the switch because the drill got away from me once I'm very happy with them. Brighter than I thought. Just wired to the battery and put the module under the seat.

Mighty, love the way your sentinels with LED Lights look. I like that you installed the switch(this way you can turn them on or off at will-correct?). Was that switch you mounted included with the LED kit from Powermadd?? Or did you purchase that switch separately?

Have an 18 Winder on order, and thinking of having the dealer take care of installation of the guards, and possibly the LED's before I take delivery of the sled.

Yes... his is switched at will.... mine is on the accessory port...i like not having to switch on and off... when the key is on... it's on... and if I want the lights on without running... turn the key to the first position...

Mighty, love the way your sentinels with LED Lights look. I like that you installed the switch(this way you can turn them on or off at will-correct?). Was that switch you mounted included with the LED kit from Powermadd?? Or did you purchase that switch separately?

Have an 18 Winder on order, and thinking of having the dealer take care of installation of the guards, and possibly the LED's before I take delivery of the sled.
Yes the switch came with set. Unlike SJ, I didn't want to have to worry about the key being on and wired it directly to the battery in on the fuse block.

Yes the switch came with set. Unlike SJ, I didn't want to have to worry about the key being on and wired it directly to the battery in on the fuse block.

So you can turn the LED's on just by turning the switch on(sled/key can be completely off?).
How are they at night? Do you find them helpful, or annoying??

Sj thank you for your response as well. I get and understand both ideas. But I like the idea of being able to keep them off when/if I want to, instead of them being on constantly and not having a choice.

Thank you for the responses gentlemen!

They really aren't needed as the LED headlights work so well. I actually turn them off at night because they illuminate my dash which I don't like. But they really come in handy trail side. And don't worry about running down your battery with the engine off, they only use about 4 watts

Get the ones from Rox speed Fx, you can get any color combo you want. They will survive rollovers at stupid speeds and last for years. Really top notch stuff, and made in Minnesota.
I can confirm they survive roll overs !
And are warmer than the powermadds .

So you can turn the LED's on just by turning the switch on(sled/key can be completely off?).
How are they at night? Do you find them helpful, or annoying??

Sj thank you for your response as well. I get and understand both ideas. But I like the idea of being able to keep them off when/if I want to, instead of them being on constantly and not having a choice.

Thank you for the responses gentlemen!

Ive not had a reason yet to turn off....but I might change to the perfect compromise...my install (on with the key) with a switch to over ride..then again...if I ever wanted them off....I could just unplug that part of my accessory tap.....I have it split into three....one for these...one for my heated riser bag element...and one for my electric face shield port.....all in my riser bag!

as to the lights themselves...they definitely help up close and in turns....the only kinda negative is a back glow lighting of the entire cockpit area ....which I became easily used to ..

my led lights on my sled are hard wired to direct battery with fuse and on a nice chrome lighted switch. I thought I might forget and leave them on but its kind of impossible to do they stand out so much I do like to be able to turn them off during the day when you cant really see them and also because I have them all over my sled I didn't want to have a problem and not be able to turn them off and keep ridding. I put led pods on my stock Yamaha Nytro hand guards and they only shine on the snow. I like the Yamaha hand guards I use as they are large and actually block the wind. they are not expensive either and I also have the motorcycle style mirrors that mount on the same bracket in fact the mirrors come with a beefy bracket and you can just buy the peddles as replacement parts off the Nytro from a dealer for cheap and you have everything you need. I like this set up so much I switched it from one sled to the next and will do it again with next sled.

Back