• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HELP!!

Everything checks out exactly as it should after cleaning and making sure everything is plugged in securily and solidly. Still no left warmer working. I suspect it’s the switch and would love to have the info on how to check that before spending $100 canadian for one

Well you need to become a VIP member then you will have access to the service manual. It’s cheap and worthwhile as it keeps the site going. There are wiring diagrams in the manual and a troubleshooting section to help find problems. Just sign up and PM a moderator, they will give you the manual tonight I bet!
The reason I don’t think it’s the switch is on most Yamaha’s the switch tells the ecu to turn on the heaters. If that was bad you would have neither grip working. It is possible that the ecu output has gone bad but I was under the assumption that both grips run off the same output but that might not be the case with a Vector? I don’t have the drawings for that model.
More than likely it’s a bad connection that when put it under a load cannot conduct the current needed to make the warmer operate.
I’ve seen this before, it checks out with a meter but under load the voltage doesn’t get to the device. The only way to find it is to check for voltage when the sled is running, warmers on.
Piercing the wire with a small needle to get readings. Normally full voltage (12v) should be across the warmers. Hot wire from the ecu should be around 12 volts all the way to the warmer and ground wire should be 0 volts the entire way. If you have no voltage at the ecu output, with warmers on, then the ecu has toasted the output transistor.

PS use battery ground as a reference for all voltage readings.

Now message maim or Canondale or MrSled they will give you a link to your service manual!!
Glad your VIP now!!

Thanks! Im hooked up with access to service manual! Glad to be part of this awesome site!
VGTG! Now to perform some diagnostics!!

Well. Problem solved..almost.

Turns out it’s the new element I installed.. No continuity... 0 ohms reading. Is it faulty? Did i do damage installing it? Seemed to go on fairly easily. Either way, the working warmer measures 7.4 ohms and the new one reads zero. Up to the dealer tomorrow to order another one!!

Well. Problem solved..almost.

Turns out it’s the new element I installed.. No continuity... 0 ohms reading. Is it faulty? Did i do damage installing it? Seemed to go on fairly easily. Either way, the working warmer measures 7.4 ohms and the new one reads zero. Up to the dealer tomorrow to order another one!!

Nice work! See what I was saying about brand new, made in China, doesn’t work!

Zero ohms I hope it didn’t toast you ecu? They usually fail open, a shorted warmer could screw your ecu output.

Are you sure it’s zero? or no continuity, those are opposite. No continuity is infinite ohms.

I checked both ways. Continuity and then measured ohm readings on both connections. The new one reads ol. The working one reads 7.4. And I started the sled after. The right side still works. I’m quite confident it’s not the ecu. And i did the checks on the handle bar switch. The switch checks out fine.
And idk where parts are coming from but i did order from local Yamaha dealer and ordered oem part. Of course being electrical I'm out the price of the part.

I checked both ways. Continuity and then measured ohm readings on both connections. The new one reads ol. The working one reads 7.4. And I started the sled after. The right side still works. I’m quite confident it’s not the ecu. And i did the checks on the handle bar switch. The switch checks out fine.
And idk where parts are coming from but i did order from local Yamaha dealer and ordered oem part. Of course being electrical I'm out the price of the part.

Nice work!
The OL reading is infinite ohms, so that’s good. A reading of zero is a dead short and can damage the output transistor because of excessive current.

Update..
New warmer element arrived today.

Being super skeptical, i checked the ohms before even completely taking out of the wrapping. Checked out perfectly. Took off the “old new one”, touched up some bare spots on the bar with touchup paint just in case.
Stuck the new warmer on, ran the wiring, left unplugged and checked ohms. Still 7.4.

Used the hairspray trick to get the grip on. Checked ohms. Still the same.

So. Long story short, plug it in, started the sled..

Two new warmer elements-$180
VIP membership to TY-$23(Canadian)
Binders and sheet protectors to bind 504 pages of a Vector service manual- $37

Having two working hand warmers
PRICELESS!!

Thanks so much to everyone who helped me out!
Now to install the new oil pressure sensor i also picked up to get rid of the Code 81 and im set!!!

Back