• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Highest Speeds on Sidewinder/Thundercat

Haha.....buying gears is easy, but finding the right ones can drive a man absolutely insane.

In order to rid my myself of all that stress, I just stick with stock gears.....wink, wink!
I knew you only made speed runs with the perfect tail wind! That has to be the secret to achieving 20mph overdrive with those stock gears you have!

Haha.....buying gears is easy, but finding the right ones can drive a man absolutely insane.

In order to rid my myself of all that stress, I just stick with stock gears.....wink, wink!
Good job, it rocks.

How's the larger drivers working
Huh, never thought of that, but do know of a few of his answers to finding that kind of speed from watching his posts!

1” track, 5-7 mph faster.
No studs.
He stated, more ponies do not make for faster top end sleds at times.
Great trail snow conditions conducive to speed.
Lower sled for peed runs.
He stated his preferred tune for speed as MS17++ with 2.5” SQ. ++ = Header, CAI.
Gearing, clutch work??
And of course a 998 turbo!!

How close am I Fleecer?

Not giving anything away, just observing your posts for a few years!

Anyone else have some guesses as to how to achieve that kind of speed on snow?

Last edited:
Huh, never thought of that, but do know of a few of his answers to finding that kind of speed from watching his posts!

1” track, 5-7 mph faster.
No studs.
He stated, more ponies do not make for faster top end sleds at times.
Great trail snow conditions conducive to speed.
Lower sled for peed runs.
He stated his preferred tune for speed as MS17++ with 2.5” SQ. ++ = Header, CAI.
Gearing, clutch work??
And of course a 998 turbo!!

How close am I Fleecer?

Not giving anything away, just observing your posts for a few years!

Anyone else have some guesses as to how to achieve that kind of speed on snow?
Hahah, I've been trying to figure that out for the last couple of winters and still trail his tail light! At 144mph on my speedo and still getting beat, I figured that it's time to throw in the towel.

Hey Glen, I take great pride knowing that I bought your old(lol) sled. i’m reading your post and I have to smile through the whole thing because I’ve had people that don’t know you ask me does he really run that fast and my answer is always ,absolutely yes. I know the 2019 SRX GPS‘d at 146. Of course your new one had to top that at 147 and I’m sure you’re gonna go higher than that. before you sell that one make sure you call me. I’m coming up Monday and I can’t wait to ride both of my sidewinders but especially your old one.Love what you do take care brother.

Last edited:
Hahah, I've been trying to figure that out for the last couple of winters and still trail his tail light! At 144mph on my speedo and still getting beat, I figured that it's time to throw in the towel.
Well one thing is for sure!
You guys certainly have many spots for testing your Go Fast parts!

Too many great trails, RR beds, and expansive fields to mention, in what we call the County!

”The County” The best kept secret in all of snowmobiling. probably 10 years ago now we met a group of riders from Michigan that have been all over the snow belt and they told us at dinner that they have never seen better trails than what they found in Aroostook county Maine. having put a lot of miles in Quebec I would have to say that is the top location but the county is a very close second

Winter in my neck of the woods has been crazy thus far. Temps have been unseasonable warm, and although we had enough snow to ride in November, the rain took it all away the following week and we have been out of business since. I was able to try my (new to me) 2022 LTX SE during the November snow however, as luck would have it, the sled somehow got inflicted with some sort of mechanical gremlin over the summer and was not 100%. I tried a few remedies, but was unable to test due to the lack of snow.

Earlier this week we received a few inches, and although not ideal, I was able to pick and poke my way over the railbed nearby and run some tests. I made a few WOT whacks, checked all the parameters, Boost, AFRs, RPM, IATs etc, and everything seemed normal and working the way it should, so I turned around and decided to head back home.

As I made my way back, I was cruising about 75-80 mph and approached a decent stretch of about 3/4 of a mile. I fed the sled a full can of beans, tucked behind the windshield, and I let all the horses under the hood run free to their content.

When I got to the end of the stretch, I let off the throttle, and stood up to grab some wind and help slow the sled down. As soon as I stood up, I was immediately blown back down onto the seat into the sitting position. I thought to myself, "Hmmm....either I'm getting feeble, or I was really moving back there." Turns out it was both!!

I pulled over and pulled my GPS out of my pocket. It read 147mph! The GPS Apps on my phone read 2 mph higher, however I'm not sure which is more accurate. At any rate, I think the gremlins have been neutralized, as the sled now runs absolutely 100%. I've attached the pic for your viewing pleasure.

You're getting after it Glenn, incredible speed!

Thank you all for the kind words. Ironically.....after 23 years of running studless, I decided to stud this machine.

I now believe running studless is beneficial up to a certain point, and then it starts to hinder performance. Pushing the sled through the wind at these speeds causes a little bit of track spin, which scrubs a little speed. I'm fairly confident my incremental gains were due to the studs and added traction.

So.....now my sled now has 145 studs.....144 in the track and 1 sitting on the seat!! Lol

Thank you all for the kind words. Ironically.....after 23 years of running studless, I decided to stud this machine.

I now believe running studless is beneficial up to a certain point, and then it starts to hinder performance. Pushing the sled through the wind at these speeds causes a little bit of track spin, which scrubs a little speed. I'm fairly confident my incremental gains were due to the studs and added traction.

So.....now my sled now has 145 studs.....144 in the track and 1 sitting on the seat!! Lol
Awesome I’m glad you got it figured out that’s
One fast sled.

Winter in my neck of the woods has been crazy thus far. Temps have been unseasonable warm, and although we had enough snow to ride in November, the rain took it all away the following week and we have been out of business since. I was able to try my (new to me) 2022 LTX SE during the November snow however, as luck would have it, the sled somehow got inflicted with some sort of mechanical gremlin over the summer and was not 100%. I tried a few remedies, but was unable to test due to the lack of snow.

Earlier this week we received a few inches, and although not ideal, I was able to pick and poke my way over the railbed nearby and run some tests. I made a few WOT whacks, checked all the parameters, Boost, AFRs, RPM, IATs etc, and everything seemed normal and working the way it should, so I turned around and decided to head back home.

As I made my way back, I was cruising about 75-80 mph and approached a decent stretch of about 3/4 of a mile. I fed the sled a full can of beans, tucked behind the windshield, and I let all the horses under the hood run free to their content.

When I got to the end of the stretch, I let off the throttle, and stood up to grab some wind and help slow the sled down. As soon as I stood up, I was immediately blown back down onto the seat into the sitting position. I thought to myself, "Hmmm....either I'm getting feeble, or I was really moving back there." Turns out it was both!!

I pulled over and pulled my GPS out of my pocket. It read 147mph! The GPS Apps on my phone read 2 mph higher, however I'm not sure which is more accurate. At any rate, I think the gremlins have been neutralized, as the sled now runs absolutely 100%. I've attached the pic for your viewing pleasure.
WOW…..JUST WOW! I also envy you. No ice or snow here in Upstate NY!

Back