• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

"Hill Topper MOD" no more $50 ice scratchers UPDAT

Hill Topper

03/17/2007

Sorry it took so LONG! The bushing (Brass) can also be used to move the
pin up and down by putting it on top of the ski instead of below the ski . I hope this helps!!!!

Sorry to say, I think you are all wasting your money buying ice scratchers. I have used holtz and mpi's and yes they do what they are intened to do. I along with all my ridding buddy's have a different solution that works great. Place a 3/8" bolt through the far inside back of each ski. You will need to drill a hole through your skis but who cares. I have run my last four sleds this way and NEVER burned up even the crapy factory hyfax. If you install the bolt while the sled is sitting on a flat surface the bolt should touch the ground. If you can get it at an angle that is even better. I have ran this on my Revs with reverse and my Apex with no problems at all. It might cost you .50 cents at your local hardware store. I want to say I am sorry to holtz and mpi along with anyone else that sells scratchers because once you all run the "hill topper mod" you will never buy the other stuff. All I ask is you refer to this as the "hill topper mod" I am currenty running an Apex with no wheels beside the rear and am having great success. I hope this all helps you save some money to spend on light weight stuff along with boost. I replace my bolts every 1000 miles weather they need to be or not I will get you all photos of my Apex this weekend with the bolts installed.

I have putt thousands of miles on sleds with this set up and have never had the bolts get caught on anything. I hope this helps you all.

Hill Topper

Attachments

• Hill Topper Mod 1.jpg
    Hill Topper Mod 1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Hill Topper Mod 2.jpg
    Hill Topper Mod 2.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 621
  • Hill Topper Mod 1.jpg
    Hill Topper Mod 1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 180

We did that years ago when we use to run the rivers. BUT, we used a long crabide stud so its throws up more ice/snow and doesnt wear out.

And you thought you came up with this idea ;) Eric

Are you placing the bolts directly behind the carbides or off to the side ? Could you post a picture I will still run my ice scratchers but I would like to run youe HILL TOPPER MOD for even more help.[/quote]

Seen this done before, on this site even. Im not going to have bolts through my skis. if i hit a small rock i dont want my ski going off track or something.

SoCoRX1 said:
Seen this done before, on this site even. Im not going to have bolts through my skis. if i hit a small rock i dont want my ski going off track or something.

Thats why I dont run they on my mountain sled. I used them back in the day when we cruised the lakes and rivers.

I run ski mount scratchers and like the idea that they go up and over anything they hit. Eric

While do what you want to do!? It's not a matter of money for me, it just works. I just put on a turbo and tunnel along with about $5000.00 of other items do what you want I will keep running bolts in my skies

If you could post some pics of your mod and then the rest of us can give it a try...ill try a set of scratchers that cost 50 cents a piece anyday before i dish out 50 bucks a pair for the spring type!!!!

No matter whos idea it was or where it came from is irrelivant

Pretty tough to put a patent on bolts!

No matter whos idea it was or where it came from is irrelivant

Pretty tough to put a patent on bolts!

I will try to get photos up later today. I have changed it up a little bit. The system I am using now is adjustable. You can run them down or up or in the middle if you like it will take 30 sec to adjust with NO tools. It cost me about three dollars but half the parts are stainless steel or brass. I know I can not patent bolts. That was never the intention. Sorry for not having the photos up quicker. I just want everyone to be able to save a little money. If you choose to call it the "hill topper mod" great if not that is fine to. I am just trying to help out my fellow snowmobilers save a few dollars.

HT [/i]

Back