• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hitting rev limiter hard with gates belt

This has my attention. Don't you guys find it odd that adding the Gates made it hit rev limiter on launch? Would think it would have done opposite since it brought top rpm down or usually does vs 8dn. Do you think the stickier Gates also slows shift down which is why it's now hitting rev limiter on launch?
I was thinking the same thing ! It's probably sticking in the secondary at first. Maybe needs some more breakin to glaze it up a bit? Now that I think about it my dn didn't hit the limiter but the jp did , that's why I added weight.

I'm going to buy some adjustable weights for sure this summer and maybe a complete clutch kit..
I'm happy with the Yamaha clutching for the smooth engagement and being able the move around slow (no jerking) I don't want to lose that with a aftermarket kit
With my clutching engagement is at 2800rpm ,nice for loading and moving around, when I nail it I'm around 8900 and settles at 8650 when holding WOT just where Dave's wants it.

This has my attention. Don't you guys find it odd that adding the Gates made it hit rev limiter on launch? Would think it would have done opposite since it brought top rpm down or usually does vs 8dn. Do you think the stickier Gates also slows shift down which is why it's now hitting rev limiter on launch?

Would've thought I was the only one but mine acts just the same switching between belts (atleast with the osp weights). Honestly the only thing that really makes sense to me is that the stickier gates belt grabs quick/harder and builds boost faster which is where the rev limiter is coming from. Maybe a crazy theory but I can run a lot more weight with the gates belt than I can with the 8dn, for me the clutch changes are pretty drastic between the gates belt and the 8dn to get similar results in performance and efficiency..so different clutch kits are going to act much differently depending on what belt I say used and I believe it goes far beyond just adding or taking away weight.

Would've thought I was the only one but mine acts just the same switching between belts (atleast with the osp weights). Honestly the only thing that really makes sense to me is that the stickier gates belt grabs quick/harder and builds boost faster which is where the rev limiter is coming from. Maybe a crazy theory but I can run a lot more weight with the gates belt than I can with the 8dn, for me the clutch changes are pretty drastic between the gates belt and the 8dn to get similar results in performance and efficiency..so different clutch kits are going to act much differently depending on what belt I say used and I believe it goes far beyond just adding or taking away weight.
Yes lots of things to try. Hopefully next year we all will get more time and conditions for testing.

Yes lots of things to try. Hopefully next year we all will get more time and conditions for testing.

Seems like after 4 winters of owning a sled we'd be done trying new stuff, can't wait til next winter tho..I know I got more I want to try and lots of little improvements make for an awesome machine! To the OP, what helix is on your sled? The thought of the belt "sticking" in the secondary is a definite possibility, but at the same time if everything with the clutching seems good and you needed to add weight that's a good thing. Perhaps you could benefit from more helix angle on launch? I know that most don't have an abundance of clutching parts and I don't either but I know one popular helix with the turbos is a 51/43 which happens to be a stock apex helix and they're a dime a dozen, so that may be something to consider and look at as well.

Seems like after 4 winters of owning a sled we'd be done trying new stuff, can't wait til next winter tho..I know I got more I want to try and lots of little improvements make for an awesome machine! To the OP, what helix is on your sled? The thought of the belt "sticking" in the secondary is a definite possibility, but at the same time if everything with the clutching seems good and you needed to add weight that's a good thing. Perhaps you could benefit from more helix angle on launch? I know that most don't have an abundance of clutching parts and I don't either but I know one popular helix with the turbos is a 51/43 which happens to be a stock apex helix and they're a dime a dozen, so that may be something to consider and look at as well.
My helix is a 8BV31 I believe a 43 degree

stocker is off my apex in garage if you want to test with it. off of 11 apex xtx. also have a 51/40 dalton in garage too for a clutching project on an apex mtx brand new in box.

stocker is off my apex in garage if you want to test with it. off of 11 apex xtx. also have a 51/40 dalton in garage too for a clutching project on an apex mtx brand new in box.
Hey thanks I might take you up on that. Just not sure if I will get a chance to play around this season the rain is melting our snow pretty fast

Hey thanks I might take you up on that. Just not sure if I will get a chance to play around this season the rain is melting our snow pretty fast
I'd possibly be interested in buying one of your helixs just gotta do some digging around and find out witch one would work better
Any suggestions?
Not sure if I should just buy a kit from a vendor or go off suggestions from our members

I'm running a 51/43 with an all purple spring. It's a fight to install myself by hand. Set 0-1

I'm running a 51/43 with an all purple spring. It's a fight to install myself by hand. Set 0-1
Right on that's good to know! I know your kit is working well maybe I'll buy miam's 51/43 helix if he wants to sell and pick up some adjustable weights and Springs and go from there

I can start with just the helix and test then add on if I feel it needs it.
Will be buying adjustable weights for sure though

Last edited:
Is this rev limiter thing something new? Keep a close watch on your "leaves" because if you are now applying too much power too quickly you could be just blowing off the track ie: doing a burnout

Is this rev limiter thing something new? Keep a close watch on your "leaves" because if you are now applying too much power too quickly you could be just blowing off the track ie: doing a burnout
Yes when running 8dn /8jp I never wacked the Rev limiter on launch or at all. Since the gates belt I am hitting the limiter hard... I like the feel of the gate so I'm going to clutch to accommodate

Back