• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hot starting or not starting

Mine has always fired right up cold but is very unpredictable warm( 177*F) and hot (195 to 205*F ). Seems a bit more reliable hot.
At our Rally last week, 202 riders, large group standing around my viper only 3 vipers there. When I wanted to go couldn't out wait them and the damn thing took 4 tries to fire up. Gave me strange looks and someone said "get a 2 stroke".
Has anyone with this hot start issue checked the spark plugs, like gap or even changed them ? It looks like kind of a pain to get to 2 of them.
Dealer says Reps. checked the cold start on their ones out front and they fired right up. Did not admit there was a warm/hot start issue.
Yamaha seem to not want to admit there are some issues. Would make us all feel a lot better if they would at least say they are looking into some of our issues.

Not going to help viper sales next year if people keep seeing us having this issue on the trail. But I guess that's not my problem if they don't sell any sleds.

Ok it's getting annoying now, the more miles I put on the sled the harder it starts when hot. If it keeps doing it I might need a new starter soon. I'm not talking it to the dealer because I know they won't fix it. Its really embarrassing when getting gas and there's a line behind you and the sled doesn't start the worst feeling ever!

I thought u guys were talking about the long cranking when warm. Now I no what your talking about thought I was towing it home yesterday. Ended up with codes p 1338 and p1339. Where did my nytro wiring go. Never had a issue with it.

I did 800 K service on my wife's XTX on Friday. I spent 10 hrs doing it and went through everything top to bottom front to back. I did not find one loose bolt or hose clamp on entire sled. I had plugs out in this inspection as well and found they are quit white compared to the Nytro, Cat is running leaner than Yamaha (Nytro is always darker, usually black).

canadianhunter said:
Has anyone with this hot start issue checked the spark plugs, like gap or even changed them ?

I havent done this yet, but asked the same Q a while back in this thread. What doesnt make sense is that sometimes they will fire up nearly instantly while warm, other times they will just crank and crank. I've always cranked it over with the kill switch off, and then flipped it back on while cranking and its always seemed to work. I have no idea if its actually the solution or not, but its always worked for me (thus far)

I will add, the only issue that I/we have had is cold start. Today was -28 C and I needed cycle the key 4 times to get it to start.

Yamacat21 said:
Not going to help viper sales next year if people keep seeing us having this issue on the trail. But I guess that's not my problem if they don't sell any sleds.

If this is as bad as it gets for a first year sled I will take as many as I can get. ZERO issues in 850 K. If I could afford a second one to replace my Nytro it would happen in a heartbeat. This is the first sled since my 91 SRV that hasn't taken time and money to make it ride or handle better. A little air up or down in the shocks and it can be dialled in for a 100 lb. rider to a 200 lb. rider.

Nytros rule said:
Yamacat21 said:

If this is as bad as it gets for a first year sled I will take as many as I can get. ZERO issues in 850 K. If I could afford a second one to replace my Nytro it would happen in a heartbeat. This is the first sled since my 91 SRV that hasn't taken time and money to make it ride or handle better. A little air up or down in the shocks and it can be dialled in for a 100 lb. rider to a 200 lb. rider.

Have to agree, without the Viper I would not have bought a new Yamaha.

Nytros rule said:
Yamacat21 said:

Easy to say if your a lucky one with no problems

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones, but am I in the majority or minority. My local dealer has pumped out 55 Vipers of these 5 have had issues, thats near 10%, thats not good, or it is good (at least they know there are problems)
In 08 this same dealer sold 45 Nytro XTXs and one had a problem, the owner kept getting " we sold 45 of these and no one else is having a problem it must be something your doing".
Took the sled to a different dealer and he found the air box temperature sensor was out of spec. It would not write a code because it was always giving the ECU information but it was not correct information.

Has any of you guys that have this hot start issue tried blocking the exhaust pipe output forcing it to go rich to see if this is a lean condition? Conversely have you tried spinning the engine with the kill switch off and then flipping switch on after a few revolutions to see if this is a rich condition?

Other question is if the starter seems slower than starting when it is cold.

Would really like to know as ours is ok for now but anxious to see what is causing this.

stingray719 said:
... have you tried spinning the engine with the kill switch off and then flipping switch on after a few revolutions to see if this is a rich condition?

this is exactly what I have done every time it started acting up, and its always worked.

DigitalFusion said:
stingray719 said:
... have you tried spinning the engine with the kill switch off and then flipping switch on after a few revolutions to see if this is a rich condition?

this is exactly what I have done every time it started acting up, and its always worked.

Awwww.....so we could be looking at a leaky injector or over pressured system?

Back