• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many Apex owners think they want upgrade to Sidewinder?

1FastStang

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
11 Apex XTX, 02 Viper, 85 SS440, 83 SS440, 79 AC Panther
YAHOO
timmugan@yahoo.com
Thinking of buying an almost new Apex or new Sidewinder/Viper...thinking I might not like the motor/turbo. I have a FZ1 motorcycle with the same motor as the apex. It is perfection! Smooth as silk!!! I feel like I would like a new sidewinder forward seated chassis on the rough trails but feel I won't like 3cyl for the roughness. I feel if I wait that Yamaha might not be able to fit a wide inline 4 cyl into a forward chassis and never come out with a new apex with the same motor. No room for your feet. Right now I run an 02 viper and the thing I like the most is the motor, but my back cannot take the suspension any more. I work on ford cars they have many turbo cars/trucks. When I drain the oil on turbo engines it looks black compared to normal engines which the oil is a golden brown. More heat, more moving parts, more sensors, more actuators, and more plumbing on the turbos. I like simple reliable power which the Apex has. I rode my brother Rage 136 last weekend and the ride was way better than my 02 viper on the rough trails. It was not as good of ride as a new forward riding sled. Some my delema is buy a sled for the motor or chassis. Help me decide :) . Thanks in advance for any input.

Well I'm thinking. Should be lighter with more HP. I know how nice the vipers ride. Only thing I don't like is the lug heights offered on XTX models.

NM found the 141x1.6

Last edited:
Not a fan of the three banger. Sounds a bit like a tractor, For now I'll stick with my four banger. Cat chassis sucks up hp it won't be much faster if any then the Apex XTX. In the middle it will quicker but on top not so much.

The Cat twin turbo was 180hp and quicker but not faster!

I won't. If I wanted a cat I would buy a cat! With the arrival of the turbo 3cyl. and reading C.R.s blog it looks like the 4cyl. motor will soon be put out to pasture.

If the 4 cyl. is to be soon put out to pasture, then I'm glad I just got a new Apex!! Rode the non-turbo triple and it wasn't for me, and like someone else mentioned the complexity of a turbo might not be the most reliable thing on a sled. And the sound of the 4 is music to my ears :)

Nope, wait for 50th Anniversary sled. Praying for the 4 holer engine in some fashion to replace the Apex. Happy to see they still offer two Apex's for 2017. That tells me the 4 holer will be back with a vengeance in 2018. Maybe in an all new Yamaha chassis!? Haha Fingers crossed

Not sure about the seat comfort on the SW. I tried a SkiDoo 1200 4 stroke and I my butt would hit the hard plastic in the back were my Attak won't do that. I am tall and need to stretch out due to knees,etc. Hard to ride way forward.

I suspect the only reason there is a 2017 Apex is to use up all the chassis and engines at the Yamaha production line in Japan prior to them stopping the Apex production.
I really hope we see a future development of the 4 cylinder but with power capabilities of the turbo triple...I wouldn't bet my lunch money on it!

Not Me, due too the crap chassis. I would take Motor and Turbo in my Apex XTX Chassis.

too much for me, especially with the winter we are having. can't justify buying a sled for the price of a car to only use for 2-3 months a year.

anyways my Apex will be worth nothing so i wouldn't have much of a trade in if any at all. Some dealers do not want trade ins. Now if they offered 0% financing that might be different.;). i know wishful thinking.

I am very happy with my Apex right now but if it was time for a new sled I would definitely consider this sled or whatever Yamaha brings out in the future that trumps the 180hp stock.
IMO: A 2017 Apex will be a VERY rare beast...like a 1997 VMAX4 or 1982 SRX500

I have 25000 kms on my 2010 vector and has been very dependable but after riding my wife's 2013 xtx apex I am sold. It is so much better handling takes bumps better and you can ride harder longer without getting tied. Best thing I ever bought my wife. After a ride all she talks about is how great this sled is. I will get a used one for next season for me and will wait and see what Yamaha bring out 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking of buying an almost new Apex or new Sidewinder/Viper...thinking I might not like the motor/turbo. I have a FZ1 motorcycle with the same motor as the apex. It is perfection! Smooth as silk!!! I feel like I would like a new sidewinder forward seated chassis on the rough trails but feel I won't like 3cyl for the roughness. I feel if I wait that Yamaha might not be able to fit a wide inline 4 cyl into a forward chassis and never come out with a new apex with the same motor. No room for your feet. Right now I run an 02 viper and the thing I like the most is the motor, but my back cannot take the suspension any more. I work on ford cars they have many turbo cars/trucks. When I drain the oil on turbo engines it looks black compared to normal engines which the oil is a golden brown. More heat, more moving parts, more sensors, more actuators, and more plumbing on the turbos. I like simple reliable power which the Apex has. I rode my brother Rage 136 last weekend and the ride was way better than my 02 viper on the rough trails. It was not as good of ride as a new forward riding sled. Some my delema is buy a sled for the motor or chassis. Help me decide :) . Thanks in advance for any input.
So I had a 2003 Viper which was a major upgrade from my 98 Vmax 600 Deluxe, then upgraded from my Viper to a RX1 which was another big improvement.....then my RX was stolen the 10th of Feb. so last week I bought a 2009 Apex with 2k miles on it and wow another huge upgrade from my RX1. I will also say I rode my buddy's new 2015 Viper DX and think my Apex rides just as well and very happy with the 4 cylinder once again over his 3 holer. Oh and another thought, yes the sidewinder looks awesome however being in the auto industry for 40 years I will never buy the first MY of anything. Not going to be the test dummy for crap that crops up through out the first year. Also not sure about a turbo, my Apex does a awesome job and will keep it more reliable for ever. If my wife ever rides my Apex I will then be in the market for another sled since it rides that much better then the RX, maybe I just up grade her seat to a Apex seat and get a riser and see might be ok.....She really does not ride that much anymore so hopefully she will be good with seat mod.

Last edited:

Back