• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many vipers with starters going bad?

Alsim

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
LTX SE 2018
Be carefull when you start your viper ! Keep starting until you are sure that the motor is running! I broke a starter gear and shaft. The motor just became to start, but they kick back ! I have only 200 klm on it !:(
Yes I'm under the waranty but....

Going through the same problem as well.....It actually screwed the timing up some how and they couldn't get it set back. Now the engine is sitting on the work bench at the dealer waiting for warranty rep to let them know what to do next. They found some pieces of the starter gear stuck to the mag. Hope nothing has hurt the engine

What do you mean exactly? Turning the key back while it's turning over? That's awful.

Have not had either Viper backfire or kick back, might want to get flash update or look farther.

Hi Stingray!
Yes I think the reflash will help. The dealer did it yesterday with the fuel line recall. Or .... I also think if could be a bad ignition due to a poor gaz. Maybe I put too much stabiliser in the tank when I stored my sled for the summer

Last edited:
2700 miles on mine, no trace at all of any starter issue until today. Started sled to load on my trailer, made a little grind and started up. Went to take it off the trailer, ground a little more then started. Once I got it in my garage I tried once more and just grinding. Talked with dealer, they've had a few already, it's all covered, but still doesn't set very well with me. I'm actually more baffled that it happened now and all of the sudden. I can see if it was new and had another issue that contributed to it, or if it had a ton of miles. But 2700 I'd say is pretty average.

My old ltx se 2014 had a starter issue. The starter and ring gear broke and the pieces fell down to the oil pan .

Nope! Because it happened at the dealer when they did my first maintenance. The sled was on the table. The little pieces of metal was catch by the magnet. If you ran the sled a little bit, I think you have to clean the oil pan just to make sure...If you ran the sled a little bit, I think you have to clean the oil pan just to make sure...

Back