• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many vipers with starters going bad?

If it has a starter clutch then issue is not kick back. If gears on starter or idler are showing signs of heat then issue is too tight of gear to starter clearance.

I've been through the parts manuals and all 1049 cc applications, Vector, Venture, Nytro and Viper are the same part #'s on all starter components. So why is the Viper the only one with all the issues.

Every viper I've ridden so far (6 total) all seem to want to turn over a few extra cranks before it actually fires up, never seen this on the old nytro or apex, those few extra cranks every time have got to be slowly taking it's toll on parts

This is a starter clutch. It is between starter and one way. It releases in cases like kick back or if something in engine locks up. Maybe in corporate this.
image.jpg

See they call the OneWay bearing a starter clutch. It is not. If you look carefully at pic I posted there is discs an steels on the idler gear just like are in your bike clutch. I do not see a real starter clutch which is a safety fuse in our motors. That is a issue.

Hey how did you make out with starter issues would rebuilding starter before trouble help this from happening? I had major trouble getting oil lite to shut off and did much more cranking than I wanted to but in the back country and to much snow for towing things were dicy so needed to start but every crank made me nervous.

It would be nice if the problem was acknowledged and a fix offered even if it was on the owners buck with no pull cord starter problems takes a 4 stroke engine out of the market once the reputation gets out you need starter to be bullet proof I need to concentrate on the line I choose not if it will start . This issues worries me a lot more since I have had to trailer 6 hrs to ride .

Yamaha is well aware of what's going on, our local yammi rep had this happen to his brand new 2015. Unfortunately they're putting back in the same exact parts that failed. I think even if your sled is out of warranty that yamaha will cover it because it's a common issue. Only thing I could see being a possibility from keeping this from happening is having a true starter clutch installed, may be something to look into.

Add another one to the starter fail list. I can only remember time that the sled back fired on start up and that was the only time it didn't fire up right away. This happened with about 400 miles on the sled. My starter went yesterday no noise no nothing no warning signs, pulled up to the pump and wouldn't turn over again. All I can hear is the solenoid clicking. Tested a bunch of things and confirmed that the starter is getting power and wont turn over. With exception to that one time has started perfect and starter sounded great. The sled currently has 900 miles. I had the reflash at about 440miles.

Yamaha is well aware of what's going on, our local yammi rep had this happen to his brand new 2015. Unfortunately they're putting back in the same exact parts that failed. I think even if your sled is out of warranty that yamaha will cover it because it's a common issue. Only thing I could see being a possibility from keeping this from happening is having a true starter clutch installed, may be something to look into.

Not to argue with you but i think your giving out bad advise.
I would not count on yamaha covering this on out of warranty sleds.
A starter could fail in year 1, or year 4-5 nobody really knows. The problem is so random no one has even tracked down what is causing it with 100% certainty.
Far too often when you call into yamaha about issues the people answering the phone have absolutely no idea about common problems. The replys are first i have heard of that.
If the motor needs to be pulled this is easily a $1500 + repair
This issue has me so paranoid at this point that i will be purchasing an extended warranty.
My suggestion to anyone planing to keep this sled long term is buy the warranty.

Sure if it's a 4-5 year old sled and out of warranty it's not going to be covered, we are only 1 1/2 years into the viper, not 4, and there's more and more starter issues coming. My dealer just got in viper #4 with this issue. 2015 dx viper with just over 300 miles, the teeth that broke off got into the flywheel and ruined a lot of electrical stuff. But yes I agree and I've told many guys, I wouldn't own this sled without an extended warranty..it's very cheap insurance once you've seen the alternative.

Dealer suggested I also get the extended warranty. But mine was only 1 year, so it's over. Don't know that Yamaha will allow me to extend now that's mines over. Theses stories don't make it comfortable owning this sled.

Back