• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many vipers with starters going bad?

Last Sat. at 1960 miles my 2014 LTX starter blew out. In the shop now, should be done by Monday. If you hear any grinding of the starter you are likely only a few grinds from it blowing all together. On the third grinding start it was done. If I hear that grind ever again and I am miles from the home base, I'm going to ride back without shutting it off. Just my two cents.

My 15 sounded bad from day one and gone at just over 500 mi, the 14 sounded about the same. I got the reflash done around 900 mi and starter gone at just over 1100 mi. I always let the pump cycle before trying to start, maybe now I'll try the quick start method.

That was another thought I had, full cycle of the fuel pump or just the quick start method, from brand new these vipers have never had the smooth starting sound that the nytro used to in my opinion, maybe it's just mine but to me it always seemed to be a bit rattly sounding.

Where was this thread 2 months ago when I bought my sled! If I get stranded on the trail, with a brand new sled this baby is gone!
My 2013 Cat 800rr had Zero issues with over 3500 miles it. I had the warranty recall secondary replaced, that's it. That sled ripped! I love my xtx, but if I get stranded, the honeymoon is over! Lol

So what's the concensus? How do we start these things? I am currently waiting for the fuel pump to cycle, then start. Everything seems fine, but I'm a little concern after reading these posts.

I'm kinda curious where all these talks were last year truthfully, seems there was folks that had this happen early last season by the sounds of it. As far as startup I think it's all in how your sled acts, I've ridden half a dozen vipers now, all of which had the rattly sound on startup and not smooth and quiet like the nytro used to be. Like I said above, all last year I did exactly what cannondale described, as soon as I turned the key the engine was cranking over, no waiting for the pump to cycle. Now this year I've been waiting for the pump to cycle and it's been starting very well, both hot or cold, so I went with it. So maybe it's coincidence that I went 2300 miles last year with no issue and randomly in 450 miles this year it goes bad or maybe that's the whole reason it went bad this year, either way for me from now on it's quick starts and no fuel pump cycling.

All I have to say is its 2015. When you get in your car you just crank the key and it starts. Then you look at your guages. Even the 2 strokes fire on second pull after whole summer sitting. I am just saying what I have seen and has worked for me and my customers when asked. All last year we only saw one bad starter and it was just a bad starter. Havent looked but what brand starter are they using now?

It's a sad sad day when we need to start a thread on how to start a viper so it doesn't self destruct. When I walked in the shop and saw my 15 striped down to pretty much just the skis and track left on it words could not describe the rage I felt, now with both my sleds in the same state ? The towel is in they are both for sale and I will definitely promote the horrible and major lack of quality in these sleds. I have never done so much wrenching tweaking adjusting upgrading or trips to my dealer in my life.

No idea on starter brand, but you have a real good point on the startup, I'm still wondering why I stopped just doing the quick fire startup, guess the damage is done and learning from it. It's unfortunate for sure, but I do hafta say, I have a great warranty thru yamaha, my dealer is aware of the problem and had extra parts on hand and will put in the late nights to get the sled fixed up and back on the snow.

Hmm....Seems I remember way back it was said to never rotate the engine backwards as it can have bad effects on starter clutch? Do I remember this right or just getting old....lol. Cannondale you remember this? I know Barry never turned his backwards just curious if some had and if it mattered.

Hmm....Seems I remember way back it was said to never rotate the engine backwards as it can have bad effects on starter clutch? Do I remember this right or just getting old....lol. Cannondale you remember this? I know Barry never turned his backwards just curious if some had and if it mattered.

i rotated mine forewords while clutching (1revolution) and that was the only time it has ever backfired.

I have turn my clutch forward and in reverse 10 time either way when cleaning it and it didn't backfire and it started quick.

Back