• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many vipers with starters going bad?

2700 miles on mine, no trace at all of any starter issue until today. Started sled to load on my trailer, made a little grind and started up. Went to take it off the trailer, ground a little more then started. Once I got it in my garage I tried once more and just grinding. Talked with dealer, they've had a few already, it's all covered, but still doesn't set very well with me. I'm actually more baffled that it happened now and all of the sudden. I can see if it was new and had another issue that contributed to it, or if it had a ton of miles. But 2700 I'd say is pretty average.
My starter went bad also at 2300 miles. In the shop now waiting for them to order a new one? During cranking when very cold, -36F, backfired a lot trying to start sled. Problem is hard starting I think.

problem is arctic cat programming/fuel delivery. this is the same motor and the same starter as the nytro.

lets hope because mine will fail again befor 2019

Mechanic told me just recently that the new parts going in are an updated part number, all parts look the same as originals, but according to him there may be something different

Barry I asked before about the VIN numbers on the broken sleds, as every indication I have seen is this is a bad run of gears. The clutches are coming from a new mold so why would it be hard to believe that the gears are not the same as the old Nytro ones?

Can you guys that had the gear failure please post your last 5 digits of your VIN number in the format 53xxx? (xxx for anonymous) I for one would really like to know if this is a bad run of parts, or if I need to be concerned.

Mechanic told me just recently that the new parts going in are an updated part number, all parts look the same as originals, but according to him there may be something different

Looking at the microfiche on a few different sites including yamaha corporate shows the only updates to the starter are the bolts that hold the 1 way bearing in place
On the starter motor the only updated parts are the oring that seals the starter to the motor and a nut on the terminal.
Not really seeing these chances in parts affecting very much.
If your dealer has the updated part # see if you can post them. It might help out others

Looking at the microfiche on a few different sites including yamaha corporate shows the only updates to the starter are the bolts that hold the 1 way bearing in place
On the starter motor the only updated parts are the oring that seals the starter to the motor and a nut on the terminal.
Not really seeing these chances in parts affecting very much.
If your dealer has the updated part # see if you can post them. It might help out others

I'll chat with them again sometime this week and see if I can get the numbers from him

Reactions: RTX
Barry I asked before about the VIN numbers on the broken sleds, as every indication I have seen is this is a bad run of gears. The clutches are coming from a new mold so why would it be hard to believe that the gears are not the same as the old Nytro ones?

Can you guys that had the gear failure please post your last 5 digits of your VIN number in the format 53xxx? (xxx for anonymous) I for one would really like to know if this is a bad run of parts, or if I need to be concerned.

Stingray
Thinking its too late in this thread to get that info, maybe post a new thread asking for vin #s??

Are you actually able to connect the dots and see a connection between failures and serial numbers are you just looking at this point?

:cool:
Stingray
Thinking its too late in this thread to get that info, maybe post a new thread asking for vin #s??

Are you actually able to connect the dots and see a connection between failures and serial numbers are you just looking at this point?

If this is a manufacturing glitch the sleds would all be in the same vin number range. If not then we ALL had better be concerned. I would really like to know which it is.

:cool:

If this is a manufacturing glitch the sleds would all be in the same vin number range. If not then we ALL had better be concerned. I would really like to know which it is.

Sure, i understand that.
Just wondering if you had any vin #s and were seeing a trend

Next trip I'll get the vin and hopefully get the ball rolling on this if you want to check it out.
Bit sceptical as I've heard of 14's with the starter go and mine is a late build 15 Xtx le with everything up to date and mine went. It don't hurt to check tho.
Dealer told me to keep the key cranked till the sled actually starts to avoid the kick back issue.
He also said they never had a nytro do this and it's all supposed to be the same running gear. I know from personal experience that my viper don't start even close to as good and smooth as my nytro. He never said but That sounds like a cat ecu issue to me.
Would rather it be a a simple fix like replace a gear or starter but would wonder who'd own up to fixing a cat ecu issue.

Last edited:
This concerns me a bit , my nitro has 10k on it still starts perfectly, this would suck to know these are exactly the same quality parts in the viper failing. I know for sure the 14 viper we have is and was a bitch to start, it never starts like my 15, the 15 starts super quick (and I wait until after the fuel pump is awake) and it's never not started. The 14 turns over longer no matter how you start it, and there's been cold mornings where she won't start without pulling some tricks out for her in the - temps. The life could be shortened by all that extra cranking. But what I'm not understanding is what is causing gears to break off? The failure has to come from somewhere. Is it heat build up? It is poor alignment ? What I'm not understanding is how gears would break off an otherwise perfect system if it wasn't poor quality metal or etc. I think the vin number thing may be a great way to spot a trend of one exists

my buddy bought a xf8000 and his started blew with less that 1000 miles.....he said it's a common thing going on with cat ( i haven't really looked into it) also lots of jack shaft breaking on the cats

well 2 weeks ago I had my 08 nytro eat the starter gears and one way clutch along with the flywheel and broken crank bolts!! mechanic thinks the one way stuck on the 1st gear and was running while I was driving (I never heard a thing) but gear idler #1 was updated in o9 to a thicker gear. HOPE this does not carry on to my vipers. FINGERS crossed but under warranty.

Yeah Dave, Having to tow you back after it breaks again will not be fun...oh wait you may have to tow me...LOL

Back