• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many vipers with starters going bad?

I'm kinda curious where all these talks were last year truthfully, seems there was folks that had this happen early last season by the sounds of it. As far as startup I think it's all in how your sled acts, I've ridden half a dozen vipers now, all of which had the rattly sound on startup and not smooth and quiet like the nytro used to be. Like I said above, all last year I did exactly what cannondale described, as soon as I turned the key the engine was cranking over, no waiting for the pump to cycle. Now this year I've been waiting for the pump to cycle and it's been starting very well, both hot or cold, so I went with it. So maybe it's coincidence that I went 2300 miles last year with no issue and randomly in 450 miles this year it goes bad or maybe that's the whole reason it went bad this year, either way for me from now on it's quick starts and no fuel pump cycling.

As long as it starts smooth and ok, there is no way it's going to potentially damage the starter based on whether you wait for the pump to cycle or not.

I've only seen the hot start issue twice and both times it fired as soon as I cracked the throttle, like starting an old carbed sled. I have not done the remap yet. I've never had any kick back or backfires either. Finger crossed! I've also rotated the clutch by hand many many times while swapping weights, springs and cleaning and never had it backfire or start any different after. I try to avoid spinning it backwards But I have if it's just a little bit to get it where I need it.

These new yamahas should come with a pit crew and a bible.

Oh come on now God doesn't snowmobile!!!! the pit crew would be nice though :-o

Actually Allen Ulmer, Matt from MPI, Hygear and the rest of you guys on here are my pit crew (in spirit)

I'm going riding Thursday myself, hopefully on a viper, but if not it'll be an rx1 as well, at this point I don't care at all about how heavy or poorly it rides, I want to ride!
Barry, Why the question? I thought your dealer had parts or did you have to pull the motor and fish parts from the pan?

They had the parts, but it's winter time and in sure every repair shop is swamped with work, as are they. I have no idea yet if there's a lot of damage to the gears or how deep they'll have to go, gonna stop in Thursday morning and check if I don't hear back before then

Add another starter failure to the list. Just over 5500 miles on my 2014 XTX. Trailered 4.5 hours up north and tried to start it up saturday morning in temps just below -30 celcuis, after initial moaning it started up only to shut off almost immediately, tried again....slight grinding and then started only to shut off again and I believe I heard grinding while it was started. On my 3rd attempt all I get is nasty grinding which sounds like the teeth are missing. Trip to dealer tomorrow morning, will post an update.

WOW This makes my case better for Rental Reinbursement

So all these are failing AS they are being cranked? Anyone looked to see if there is a starter clutch on these motors?

As faf as I knoe my secondary gear lost 5 teeth on one side and 180 lost 7 teeth all going into the oil pan they pulled the motor to retrieve the teeth 1500.00 warranty clame

Back